• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's New (Conservative) Foreign Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black's last paragraph really hits the nail on the head. 

I would add Indonesia, as a G20/ASEAN nation with significant interaction in economic affairs in the region.  It also represents a nation where Islam has far more to do with individual religious choice and freedom, than it does with state/regional-driven melding of politics with religion.

Agree with you, Mr. Campbell, that widening NATO too far might cause dilution, but is something to consider so long as done in a considerate, analytical manner, not one simply geared towards increase membership numbers.

Regards
G2G

Good2Golf said:
..... but is something to consider so long as done in a considerate, analytical manner, not one simply geared towards increase membership numbers.
Lest it become League of Nations 3.0 to the UN's current (and probably irredeemable) 2.0

In spite of the vitriol thrown by many at Mr. Black  I would allow him to remain in Canada and continue to provide his intelligent and informed commentary. An item of which there is a desperate shortage.

S.M.A. said:
I've seen you point out this list of candidate nations- or at least similar groupings- in previous posts at other threads. Still, I am surprised that you would leave out three key American allies: Thailand, South Korea and the Philippines.

Thailand, as you are well aware, has been an American ally since the Vietnam War, when US forces were allowed to operate from Thai soil. Thai and US forces still conduct exchanges and joint training through the annual CARAT exercises, IIRC. They are a second-string Asian economic tiger, and have a well-equipped military that even has an aircraft carrier. They can be seen as a counterweight to other rivals on the Indochina peninsula such as Myanmar and Vietnam. In spite of recent political upheavals such as the 2006 military coup, and the recent Red Shirt vs. Yellow Shirt rivalry, they are relatively more stable than say, another nominal US ally called Pakistan. Thailand may have its own problem with Islamic insurrectionists in its Southern provinces like Narithiwat, but it's not something that has overwhelmed its security forces.

South Korea, one of the four original Asian economic Tigers, is another ally worth considering for your prescribed coalition. Apart from the deep ties with the US forged through the Cold War, as well as their growing diaspora in Western countries, they have close ties to the West. You're already aware of their well-equipped, well-trained military, the same ROK military which also sent a contingent to support NATO in Afghanistan a few years ago. The only reasons I can fathom for you leaving them out would be their occasional distrust for Japan, over territorial disputes between Seoul and Tokyo, as well as their preoccupation with the North Korean threat.

The Philippines, another close American, non-NATO ally, occupies a strategic position because of its proximity to the South China Sea as well as the Chinese mainland. Being a former US colony, they are one of the more "Westernized" Asian nations culturally (and like India, they can be considered a second-language Anglophone nation) and are booming economically in recent years in spite of economic stagnation in the first two decades since the Marcos era. In 2011 it surpassed India and China as being the largest contributor of recent immigrants to Canada. They have frequent exercises with US forces through BALIKATAN and CARAT, and there have been overtures at allowing US forces to have greater access at their former bases in Subic and Clark airbase in the islands. While the Philippine military has a lot of outdated equipment, this has been partially offset by recent acquisitions such as two frigates bought from the US.

*I suspect you also left out these three because of varying levels of political cronyism and corruption in all three countries; however, other countries in your list-notably India and Malaysia- also suffer from these problems.

*off topic: I wish everyone here a Happy Canada Day!

Good2Golf said:
Black's last paragraph really hits the nail on the head. 

I would add Indonesia, as a G20/ASEAN nation with significant interaction in economic affairs in the region.  It also represents a nation where Islam has far more to do with individual religious choice and freedom, than it does with state/regional-driven melding of politics with religion.

Agree with you, Mr. Campbell, that widening NATO too far might cause dilution, but is something to consider so long as done in a considerate, analytical manner, not one simply geared towards increase membership numbers.

Regards
G2G

I should not includes lists of countries; it's not productive.

Let me change my proposal to something like "the list of countries should be confined to those that are real, albeit in some cases, slightly troubled democracies,"* and there needs to be small, permanent strategic/political and operational/military staffs provided by a cross section of members who can afford to assign officers and NCOs to such a task. That staff must have a good deal of US input - global military operations need US support, but the US should not be allowed (and should be unwilling) to dominate the organization

One further point: I'm not anti-NATO. I suspect it has outlived most of its usefulness and I doubt its capacity to conduct "out of area" operations, but I think there is a need for an (expanded?) Agency for Military Standardization - but don't forget that much of the all important communications standardization is not done by NATO, it is done by another much smaller organization called the Combined Communications Electronics Board (CCEB) - NATO, generally (always, in my experience) ratifies CCEB decisions without debate.

_____
* And I would use a list like the one published, annually, by the Economist Intelligence Unit to define who is and is not a democracy.

This article, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail could go in a number of places, but:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/commentary/peter-mackay-needs-a-shuffle-how-about-nato-secretary-general/article13094035/#dashboard/follows/
Peter MacKay needs a shuffle. How about NATO secretary-general?

STEPHEN SAIDEMAN
The Globe and Mail

Published Tuesday, Jul. 09 2013

Much of the news coming out of Ottawa these days is focused on the impending cabinet shuffle. Similarly, in Europe, there is much discussion about who will be the next secretary-general of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization. Apparently, the leading candidate is German Defence Minister Thomas de Maizière. For reasons I will explain below, this choice would be pretty awful. Luckily, I believe there may be a way to ensure NATO gets an appropriate secretary-general that also smoothes out the cabinet shuffle: generate enough international support for Defence Miniser Peter MacKay to take the prestigious post abroad. Let me explain.

For Prime Minister Stephen Harper, it may be a bit difficult to move Mr. MacKay out to pasture since Mr. MacKay served as the key leader of a faction of the Conservative movement. If Mr. Harper were to get Mr. MacKay placed as secretary-general, there would be much less pushback from Mr. MacKay’s domestic supporters…. That is, if Mr. MacKay wants the new job.

On to why Mr. Maizière would be a poor choice. Germany has long been a key member of the NATO alliance, usually giving a substantial contribution to the various efforts, especially in terms of numbers of troops. However, its reputation has taken a major hit due to how things played out in Afghanistan and over Libya. In Afghanistan, Germany had significant restrictions placed by the Bundestag and its Defence Ministers that limited Germany’s ability to make a difference in its area of operations and prevented it from providing significant help in more dangerous parts of the country. When Canada called for help during Operation Medusa in 2006, the Germans did not show up. Still, the Germans did send about 5,000 troops to Northern Afghanistan and did suffer significant casualties during the effort, just not as many as the Canadians, the Americans, the British, or the Danes.

Where Germany really defied expectations was over Libya. Chancellor Angela Merkl refused to participate in any part of the NATO effort, which was quite surprising given that there was an easy choice to be made. Germany was already participating in NATO naval efforts in the Mediterranean and off the shores of Somalia, and had a record of participating in past embargos during the Yugoslav conflicts. So, Germany could have done the basic minimum and kept its ships in the NATO fleet during the Libyan effort with very little political or military risk. Instead, Merkl, burned perhaps by the Afghanistan mission, pulled the German ships out. Moreover, Germany had some key capabilities that would have been very useful in the opening days of the operation – notably systems designed to take out air defences – but with those out of the game, the U.S. had to do much of the early heavy lifting.

Why is this relevant? Because one of the key jobs of the secretary-general of NATO is to persuade alliance members to participate in and contribute to NATO operations. There is nothing obligatory about NATO – an attack upon one is an attack upon all, if all agree that an attack has happened, but each country is free to respond as each “deems necessary.” So, getting countries to kick in troops and helicopters and other assets means asking nicely and then cajoling. Who does this? It starts with the personnel at NATO headquarters in Mons and in Brussels, but a key actor in all of this is the secretary-general. And there is the rub: Would a German secretary-general really have the political heft to get other countries to do what his country recently refused to do?

It is perhaps no accident that the Danes stepped forward in both Afghanistan and Libya as Anders Fogh Rasmussen was the secretary-general and former prime minister of Denmark. Will others heed a German secretary-general? Probably not so much.

The question then becomes who else can serve this role? It cannot be an American, as the military head of NATO – the Supreme Allied Commander of Europe [SACEUR] is always an American, so the Sec Gen is never one. The Sec Gen probably should not be French at this moment, given that much of NATO is still miffed about France dragging NATO into Libya. The secretary-general could be British, given the UK’s leadership in Afghanistan and Libya. Norway would be a candidate, given what it has done recently, although some would argue that the Scandinavians had their turn. Some would suggest an East European, since it is time for “new Europe” to be put in the rotation of key posts. Putting a Pole in this position would make sense, given how much the Poles had done in Afghanistan, but their “street cred” was undermined by their opting out of Libya. Romanians have offered up a few candidates.

At this moment in time, a Canadian would make a great deal of sense. While Canada did leave combat in Afghanistan faster than most other coalition countries, Canada did do more than its fair share of the heavy lifting before that and did return to run a key training mission. Canada also made very quick and very significant contributions to the Libyan mission. So, Canada has a very positive profile within NATO.

While none in the organization are that fond of launching new operations, the world frequently pushes the world’s most significant multilateral military organization into the fray. To be perfectly blunt, NATO has become a two-tier organization divided between those that are more willing to bear the costs and those that are less so. Would it make sense for the organization to be led by a representative of the second tier? No.

Sure, in International Relations, being deserving of something is rarely if ever a guarantee you’ll get it. NATO (and the European Union) have admitted members that did not meet their membership criteria, so we know that suitability is often ignored. But before NATO makes the leap and appoints the German foreign minister, they might want to look at the other side of the pond to someone who may soon be in need of a new job.

Stephen Saideman is the Paterson chair in international affairs at Carleton University. This article is published in partnership with the Canadian International Council and its international-affairs hub OpenCanada.

This is such a good idea that I will be very, very surprised if:

1. Prime Minister Harper and Minister MacKay have not discussed it already; and

2. Assuming that Mr. MacKay said "yes," it has not be broached in other capitals.

NATO's Secretary General traditionally comes from Europe - in part to offset the US' dominance in all other areas of NATO. Here is a list of them: two Belgians, three Brits, one Dane (the current one), three Dutchmen, one German, one Italian (plus two other Italians in acting roles) and a Spaniard. The job has often been for four years.

It would not be the first time a Canadian has been mentioned for the job; in fact, Peter MacKay was touted as a candidate in 2009.

It is time for a Canadian in that job and Peter MacKay would be a very good choice. I wonder if it came up during Prime Minister Harper's recent tête-à-têtes with Prime MInister Cameron and other some other G-8 leaders.

He might be going to justice.  Lateral move, he's a lawyer (one of the only ones).  i doubt that he would be chosen over the German candidate.  The Germans hold too much influence in Europe.

This is indeed a good idea, given the current amount of heat on Mr.Mackay. A break from Canadian politics before a return (much like Chretien) would do his career a significant amount of good. Upon his return he would be able to modestly boast about his international experience and as Canada has recently become more imperialist, I mean "involved" in world affairs this would make him a good candidate for conservative leadership in the near future.

However does NATO want someone who won't be quiet or someone who may be a little more ready to use force? As current NATO members leaders are down sizing their militarys involvement. So I think it is safe to assume they would prefer Thomas. And most good ideas rarely come to fruition.

But for McKay it might be a godsend....if he stays past 2015 he's gonna take a hit on his pension as well as have to wait for it.....financially it works for him.

S.M.A. said:
Having seen first hand how effective career diplomats can be when I was working in a grad. school coop for the Consulate General of Canada in Chongqing, China, last year, I agree with Gar Pardy's view of Bruno Saccomani. Knowledge of the local culture and language is critical in as high a position as ambassador ....
National Post link
Mountie in charge of Harper’s personal security detail to be appointed Canada’s ambassador to Jordan....
For better or worse, confirmed today:
.... Bruno Saccomani becomes Ambassador to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, with concurrent accreditation to the Republic of Iraq ....

Wonder if they will accept his credentials in Jordan.

It is pretty insulting (in my view) to send a career police officer who has not even got a university degree ( Dawson college is a CEGEP - Quebec's combination version of the finishing years of high school to go to University and community college technical training. In his case, I would not be surprised (since they don't specify the program he graduated from) that he got a "general" CEGEP diploma, which is equivalent to an Ontario grade 13.

The West is rather unique in spending a bit more time and energy in sending professional diplomats abroad than other nations (in the very old days, the Ambassador was often also a spy, so it made sense then to send a cunning person. It was also true that a man like Francis Walsingham would be running things at home as well....)

Frankly, the vast majority of nations in the world send hacks, cronys and similarly qualified people as Ambassadors, envoys and other high level posts. So long as there is a decent support staff and he keeps up on his reading, this isn't going to be the end of the world.

Our foreign service has become accustomed to the notion that some vital posts like Washington and Beijing will often be shared - professional diplomats and political insiders, while some high profile but less important posts like Paris and London will be, almost always, reserved as rewards for political appointees. But posts like Amman have, almost always been the exclusive domain of the professionals.

But diplomacy is changing and some countries welcome the appointment of a person who has direct, personal contacts with and, presumably, the ear of the head of government.

Jordan is a special place: it provides excellent access to the Palestinians and has always been regarded as a "plum post" for the foreign service which still, despite years of Conservative government, has a strong Orientalist or Arabist mindset, as enunciated by e.g. Edward Said or Peyton Lyon.*

Thus, the posting of an outsider is a direct threat to the professional foreign service. It suggests that:

1. The prime minister wants his own eyes and ears in an important Middle Eastern capital; and

2. He (Prime Minister Harper) does so because neither he nor the foreign minister trusts the professional foreign service's judgement on Middle Eastern policy.

I have written several times about my concerns with the foreign service. I think King, especially, politicized to an almost unimaginable (in any other country) degree and then Trudeau emasculated it - not because he disliked its politics but, rather, because he hated its leadership: small town Ontario, Oxbridge, WASP and complacent. All of Prime Ministers Diefenbaker, Mulroney and Harper struggled to find a balance between their deep distrust of a markedly Liberal foreign service, but one which was undeniably competent, and their need for sound, well informed analysis. With this appointment Prime Minister Harper appears to have come down firmly on one side of that fence: he doesn't trust the judgement of the professional foreign service; he does not believe that they can find the balance between their personal biases and their duty to implement the policies of the elected government; he cannot fire them all so he will, simply, remove the professionals from some influential posts.

_____
* In some cases the Orientalist mindset crossed the line into simple anti-Sematism, which is not surprising in a foreign service that, until the late 1960s, still bore the fingerprints of OD Skelton ~ it's not that Skelton was an anti-Semite, but given his time and place in society it would be surprising if he wasn't ~ it is that he built a foreign service based upon a certain kind of candidate: ideally a young man from small town Ontario, with a good education, preferably an Oxbridge education and they were, very likely, products of the same society as Skelton himself  ~ classic WASPs ~ and it was deeply anti-Semitic. Fredrick Blair, author of the infamous "none is too many" comment, and Deputy Minister of Immigration was Skelton's friend and colleague. Blairs comment (1941) that "Canada, in accordance with generally accepted practice, places greater emphasis on race than upon citizenship," was not out of keeping with official Ottawa or Canada writ large in that time.

John Ivison takes a pessimistic view of Canada's one, single, overarching foreign policy focus ~ relations with the USA ~ in this article which si reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the National Post:

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2013/08/02/john-ivison-obamas-latest-keystone-comments-could-foreshadow-a-crisis-in-canada-u-s-relations/
f314931ee083edf6e4b8aac7a8c8fe6b

Obama’s latest Keystone comments could foreshadow a crisis in Canada-U.S. relations

John Ivison

13/08/02

When Barack Obama made his landmark climate change speech in June, both proponents and opponents of the Keystone pipeline claimed victory.

The U.S. President said the State Department was in the final stages of assessing whether Keystone could go ahead. Mr. Obama said that the U.S. national interest would only be served if the pipeline did not “significantly exacerbate” carbon pollution.

Advocates pointed out the State Department had already ruled that Keystone would have little impact on the growth of the oil sands because Canadian crude would find its way to market with or without the project — a conclusion bolstered this week by TransCanada’s decision to go ahead with the 1.1-million barrels a day Energy East pipeline to Quebec and New Brunswick.

The opposition to Keystone, meanwhile, took heart from statements coming out of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency that said the pipeline was bound to have an impact on climate change.

In an interview with The New York Times last weekend, the President resolved the various interpretations of his Sphinx-like comments by clearly siding with the latter camp.

He mocked the number of long term jobs that might be created as “somewhere between 50 and 100 jobs in an economy of 150 million working people” and expressed skepticism about claims the pipeline would bring energy security and lower gas prices. He noted that “oil is going to be piped down to the Gulf to be sold on the world oil markets, so it does not bring down gas prices here in the United States. In fact, it might actually cause some gas prices in the Midwest to go up where currently they can’t ship some of that oil to world markets.”

Leaving aside the extremely dubious claim that a secure supply of crude from the oil sands would cost Americans more than the oil they currently import, the response foreshadows a crisis in Canada-U.S. relations.

Stephen Harper was asked about the President’s comments at a press conference and tried not to inflame an already smoldering situation.

“I believe our perspective is quite clear. The reality is that the top priority for our government is creating jobs and this is a project that will create jobs on both sides of the border. And it will encourage energy security. So we are fully convinced that this is in the national interest of both of our countries.”

Some commentators have suggested that the Harper government link approval for Keystone to access to the Canadian telecom market for U.S. phone giant, Verizon.

The problem with this is that the Tories have deliberately picked a fight with the three big domestic telcos — Rogers, Bell and Telus — ostensibly to bring in a fourth carrier and lower cell phone charges, but also because its popular with their base. Diehard Conservatives may have no love for a tree-hugging Democratic president, but they reserve their real loathing for Big Telco.

The Conservatives could also bring in their long-promised oil and gas regulations to provide the President with some cover to approve the pipeline but this would lead to the inevitable charge from the opposition that the Tories were introducing a carbon tax.

All of which leaves Mr. Harper with very little room to manoeuvre. He has already appealed personally to the President, at the recent G-8 meeting in Northern Ireland.

It is hard to see how the relationship between the two men would recover if Mr. Obama blocks the pipeline.

The Economist suggested this week that the President’s comments amounted to a “kick in the teeth.” One senior Conservative said Friday refusal would be more like a “kick in the balls.” If the President turns down the project on domestic political grounds, Mr. Harper is unlikely to be so reticent when he’s next asked about Canada-U.S. affairs.

The feeling is that a rejection would signal a breakdown in relations, and there would be very little left to lose.

National Post

Many of us cut our academic teeth on Arthur Lower's Colony to Nation and some of us, reflecting on Canada's shift, in the 1960s from dominance by Britain to even grater dominance by America, used the phrase Conoly to Nation and back to Colony to describe Canada's relationships with the great powers.

Maybe it is time to take up Richard Nixon's challenge and recognize that America will, always, pursue America's interests and they will often be defined by the American domestic political agenda. President Nixon said:

"- each nation must define the nature of its own interests;
    - each nation must decide the requirements of its own security;
    - each nation must determine the path of its own progress."

President Obama is, pretty clearly, following the (common sense) Nixon Doctrine.

Our interests include, but are not limited to: exploiting our proximity to and familiarity with the giant American (relatively) free market and getting the best possible prices for the goods and services we take to market. If American decides that Canadian oil is not a key component of "its own security" then that is their choice. The oil can and will be sold to others.

What should we determine to be "the path of [our] own progress?" I have answered that before: we want "peace and prosperity," and I have explained that a) the two usually go together and b) each is more complex than the single word. One step on "the part of [our]own progress" might be to stop expecting America to act in our best interests.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/decision-on-keystone-pipeline-likely-delayed-until-2014/article/2534717

Decision on Keystone pipeline likely delayed until 2014

By SEAN LENGELL | AUGUST 26, 2013 AT 2:55 PM

The State Department’s decision on the proposed Keystone XL transcontinental oil pipeline is in danger of being bumped to next year, as the agency’s internal watchdog says it needs more time to finish an ongoing investigation of the project.

The State Department Office of Inspector General said its months-long probe of whether the contractor the department hired to conduct an environmental impact study had a conflict of interested likely won’t be ready until January.

The study, by Environmental Resources Management, suggested the pipeline would have little effect on the environment or global warming. But Mother Jones magazine earlier this year reported that analysts who helped draft the report had worked for TransCanada — the Canadian company proposing the project — and other energy companies poised to benefit from the pipeline.

The State Department, which must approve the pipeline because it would cross an international border, says there is no timetable for its decision. But because of the highly controversial nature of the project, the agency is expected to hold off on a decision until after the watchdog report is released.

A State Department official, speaking on background, said Monday the agency won't release its final environment impact study on Keystone until "after additional analysis and the issues identified in the public comments have been incorporated."

The project has divided Democrats, with environmentalists fighting the proposed pipeline that would carry Canadian crude oil from Alberta’s tar sands to refineries on the Gulf Coast, while labor groups and some Democratic lawmakers from oil states want the jobs the $5.3 billion project would create.

The president says he will evaluate the 1,179-mile proposed pipeline based on whether it would significantly add carbon to the atmosphere, which scientists say contributes to global warming.

A September court case involving a lawsuit by three Nebraska landowners who would be affected if the pipeline is built could delay the project further. A win for the landowners, who oppose the pipeline, likely would force TransCanada to resubmit its plans with the U.S. government — which could set the project back years.

Time to shut off all the taps going south and start turning on the ones going east and west.

The US can dig their own or buy it from the Saudis.

I think the PM should tell Obama to piss up a rope.

It's time to look after our own interests.

That might be all overly simplistic, but I feel better for having said it.

recceguy said:
Time to shut off all the taps going south and start turning on the ones going east and west.

The US can dig their own or buy it from the Saudis.

I think the PM should tell Obama to piss up a rope.

It's time to look after our own interests.

That might be all overly simplistic, but I feel better for having said it.

While I have some a lot of emotional sympathy ...

1. Keystone is, still, a good project, but it is anything but the be all and end all; and

2. Keystone or not, we still need pipelines going both East and West to get heavy crude to refineries in Canada and to global markets, including the US North East; but

3. Even "repurposing" existing pipelines is going to take years ~ for now, the more oil we can get to markets, any markets, the better; and, finally

4. US politics is US politics and rational men and women should never factor their irrationality out of the business equation.

You know, it's kind of funny, BC and all.

In 1867 the price of getting BC to join Canada was a transportation link to the rest of the country:  A railway.

In 2013 it seems that BC doesn't want to be part of Canada.

Perhaps we should inform them that the bill for the railway has come due and the price for staying in Canada is a Pipeline.

We know which way President Obama will go, especially but very unlikely the Dems hold the Senate and gain the Congress: NO Keystone.

Quebec, the Indians the environmentalists (many US funded, but that's another story) are not in favour of Keystone or the East - West. As a matter of fact they are pretty well against everything.

With this majority, or the next majority which will give the Conservatives more time I suggest war time measures to ensure these vital measures to the economy of Canada proceed.

State that the pipelines are a national imperative, complete the safety/environmental studies and set the standards, build including expropriating the land. If a Canadian Pipeline Force (CPF) has to be created as guards, crowd control, emergency response for explosions/fire/leaks so be it. Take a cut from the revenues to fund the CPF. 

Build a few more modern multi billion dollar refineries strategically located across Canada while your at it.

Nationalize Trans Canada pipelines if you have to, but I doubt it will have to be done.

Sell Canadian crude at market, especially to the US. Full bore. Not soft power but slick power.

I suggest war time measures to ensure these vital measures to the economy of Canada proceed.

You had this fantasy long?..... ::)

OK, so Prime Minister Harper wants to do something (presumably something useful) to, about or for Syria ~ something short of war ...

He has promised to bring Syrian refugees to Canada. That's a silly idea ~ real refugees don't want to come to Canada, they want to go home, as soon as it is safe. But, we are a rich country and we can and should do something, and refugees do need help.

Of all the countries in the region one, Jordan, is pretty close to being a 'friend."

Jordan is, also, awash in (uhnwelcome and costly) Syrian refugess.

So, maybe, we can do something useful to, about and even for the Syrians and  for the Jordanians, too, by helping the Jordanians with the refugee problem.

It would cost many tens of millions of dollars (but that will still be less than the cost of settling a few thousand Syrian refugees in Canada) but we could design and build and then maintain a "model" refugee camp in Jordan - a mini city for a few thousand people (say 1,000 families and 1,00 single people) with shelter, water, food distribution, health care, police, fire and administration ~ all managed and done, in the main, by Syrians refugees (so add jobs to the list) under Jordanian supervision. We have companies in Canada, like ATCO, who can move quickly and efficiently into a crisis and establish infrastructure, we have people, mostly from the voluntary sector who can, also, move quickly and efficiently into a crisi and, even more importantly, move out as soon as locals are prepared to take over. We have the money, too.

Something like this might even provide the politically critical series of "good news" photo ops for years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back