• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada doesn’t matter to the rest of the world - and it’s our own fault

....it (Federal Government) doesn’t want to pay for the kit needed and won’t risk the votes when people die.
Hit the nail on the head. Pay big bucks for adequate kit vice freebees/giveaways (which they are not) and the loss of personnel due to poorly equipped military means losing votes.
I think if our military had modern, exceptional equipment it would interest people. When the media reports senior people stating that the military needs re-equipment, who wants to join a loser organization? Add the time, frustration to get enrolled and trained to basic trade qualification.

Hit the nail on the head. Pay big bucks for adequate kit vice freebees/giveaways (which they are not) and the loss of personnel due to poorly equipped military means losing votes.
I think if our military had modern, exceptional equipment it would interest people. When the media reports senior people stating that the military needs re-equipment, who wants to join a loser organization? Add the time, frustration to get enrolled and trained to basic trade qualification.
I think this is the biggest flaw of them all; the modernisation of equipments, vehicles and all-around structural procedures and bureaucratics that comes with a 21th century Army, which clearly we are not with having the military budget being lowered years after years thanks to the Liberals.

Dude, that was back when we could sign someone up on Tuesday and they'd be on the parade square in overalls on Thursday.

Things are 'different' now ;)
:ROFLMAO: I signed up and was on the parade square the same night. Let's be honest, with BMQ, there's nothing that they teach you that makes you a threat to the country or even your peers. You could easily accommodate part-time recruit training while the process grinds on. There ought to be no reason for it too grind, however. It boggles my mind as to what they could possibly have done to a system that slows things down as much as it does. Even more so, it boggles my mind that after decades of having a clearly recognized problem that things haven't been improved. The fact that we're down 15,000 people is also not something that happened overnight. Covid or no covid, the system should have reacted to cure the problem as it developed.

🍻

I signed up in November and started my recruit course at the unit in February. I think back then they ran a course 2-3 times a year.
I started my paperwork in Feb, was sworn in before April, and started my Recruit course in April.

Realistically all on should need is a criminal background check, with one’s birth certificate, drivers license and SIN.

I started my paperwork in Feb, was sworn in before April, and started my Recruit course in April.

Realistically all on should need is a criminal background check, with one’s birth certificate, drivers license and SIN.
May, July, with SYEP. All paperwork at the unit as far as I could tell. 4 visits prior to commencement of GMT - initial, part I medical, part II, and swearing in. Medical part I at unit (a couple of the officers - infantry unit - were civvy nurses, and they had a couple of cas aides as well), part II at locally contracted doctor.

:ROFLMAO: I signed up and was on the parade square the same night. Let's be honest, with BMQ, there's nothing that they teach you that makes you a threat to the country or even your peers. You could easily accommodate part-time recruit training while the process grinds on. There ought to be no reason for it too grind, however. It boggles my mind as to what they could possibly have done to a system that slows things down as much as it does. Even more so, it boggles my mind that after decades of having a clearly recognized problem that things haven't been improved. The fact that we're down 15,000 people is also not something that happened overnight. Covid or no covid, the system should have reacted to cure the problem as it developed.

🍻
But if we teach people to be able to mop floors and make their own beds, they could be become competent enough to overthrow the government.....

Just make basic a DLN and Zoom course.

That's a great way to introduce our new folks to a frustrating aspect.

May, July, with SYEP. All paperwork at the unit as far as I could tell. 4 visits prior to commencement of GMT - initial, part I medical, part II, and swearing in. Medical part I at unit (a couple of the officers - infantry unit - were civvy nurses, and they had a couple of cas aides as well), part II at locally contracted doctor.
I'm not sure we had part 1 and 2 medicals for reservists back then. That same night I was brought in I went to a small medical room in the old Richmond Street armoury where what I'm sure was something like an MA took me through the med forms, gave me a once over and we were done.

I had another medical when I transferred to the RegF but don't recall it being more thorough, just a more medical environment which I think might have been at Downsview where they ran us through a two-day process including fitness testing (nearly flunked the pull-ups), some form of intelligence/aptitude test and a selection board interview. That process too was fast and painless.

🍻

I'm not sure we had part 1 and 2 medicals for reservists back then. That same night I was brought in I went to a small medical room in the old Richmond Street armoury where what I'm sure was something like an MA took me through the med forms, gave me a once over and we were done.

I had another medical when I transferred to the RegF but don't recall it being more thorough, just a more medical environment which I think might have been at Downsview where they ran us through a two-day process including fitness testing (nearly flunked the pull-ups), some form of intelligence/aptitude test and a selection board interview. That process too was fast and painless.

🍻

200.gif

🍻

Mine was with a real doctor.

I remember one of the questions was, "Do you like girls?"

Back