• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAN Enhanced (Permanent?) Fwd Presence in Latvia

I think I read on CBC (can't find the article just now) that the force will include tanks, artillery, infantry, engineers, armoured reconnaissance totalling about 1000 personnel and that all of this is in addition to a separate "leadership" role (whatever that means).

Sounds like it will be a standard Infantry-based Battle Group with Canadians also filling in what will undoubtedly be a large Bde HQ (seems to be the rule with multinational HQs).

CBH99 said:
I was going to say - I'm surprised a majority of the conversation so far has revolved around what medal will be awarded, and not the size & composition of the force.

I'd imagine we actually do have more than enough equipment to send a rather highly equipped battalion sized force. 

The Army has quite a few more M777's now than it did in Afghanistan.  The LAV's are upgraded.

Is TOW actually back?  I've heard different things, but all of the things I've heard have been from credible people - which makes it even more confusing.  (There is a chap on here, can't remember his nickname - who did a TOW shoot recently and had pictures to prove it.)

This deployment might be a FANTASTIC opportunity for the military to showcase to the public just what it doesn't have.  Trucks.  Air defence platforms of any kind.  ATGM capability.  All things that are relatively easy to acquire & integrate back into our forces, and wouldn't cost much.

With this force only being a battalion sized force, I think we will be fine in sending a pretty good looking force.  Minus some key capabilities that our allies will have to bring to the table.

Don't forget the full sized digging tools and SKOP kits, fer Gawd's sake man!

How could I have forgotten such essential tools!?  My bad, my bad... 

CBH99 said:
I was going to say - I'm surprised a majority of the conversation so far has revolved around what medal will be awarded, and not the size & composition of the force.

You'd be surprised on what meaning a little piece of ribbon can have, and why it is probably worth the discussion.

I wouldn't be surprised.  I was in for a wee while, remember??  ;)

Not saying it isn't worth the discussion.  Just surprised that the size, structure, assets, etc being deployed wasn't being discussed with more concern/enthusiasm. 

Infanteer said:
Sounds like it will be a standard Infantry-based Battle Group with Canadians also filling in what will undoubtedly be a large Bde HQ (seems to be the rule with multinational HQs).

Sounds like a few more than 500. Just sayin'

CBH99 said:
I wouldn't be surprised.  I was in for a wee while, remember??  ;)

Not saying it isn't worth the discussion.  Just surprised that the size, structure, assets, etc being deployed wasn't being discussed with more concern/enthusiasm.
Well,hate to be the pessimist but what are the chances these assets get used in their intended role? Secondly, if used, how long do they last?

Answers, very unlike and if they do not long.

Might as well talk about medals.

Russian state media:  no firm confirmation via the Latvian def ministry ...
Canada may become one of the countries, whose soldiers will be stationed in Latvia after the NATO summit in Warsaw but this does not mean that there will be 1,000 troops deployed, Latvian Chief of Defense Raimonds Graube said Monday.

"There won't be 1,000 soldiers from the same country on Latvian soil because, not only NATO, but we are also interested in many states participating in the exercises in Latvia," Graube said.

Last week, media reported that Canada was planning to deploy 1,000 soldiers to Latvia.

According to the ministry's spokesman, Kaspars Galkins, there is still no official information available that Canada will send their troops to Latvia. All the details about which countries will form the NATO battalion to be deployed in Latvia is expected to be agreed at the upcoming Warsaw summit, due to take place on July 8-9 ...

My daughter is in a high readiness unit right now, the last thing they are talking is medals and ribbons. 

Lightguns said:
My daughter is in a high readiness unit right now, the last thing they are talking is medals and ribbons.
I can personally tell you I don't give a damn about medals, nor do I really care about what assets are deployed.

I just want to go somewhere.

Altair said:
I can personally tell you I don't give a damn about medals, nor do I really care about what assets are deployed.

I just want to go somewhere.

Nail meet head.

I conducted a couple of liaison visits with the Latvian/Estonian/Lithuanian and Polish armies a few years ago and have served with troops from those armies on two missions abroad. This should be a very good mission for our army in terms of the experience that the troops will gain. Our troops should get to conduct realistic training with NATO partners (the Baltic NATO folks plus the US, Brits, Germans etc) in some new areas while supporting our allies. I imagine that battle groups will rotate through the vehicles that deploy which will likely involve some angst, but I suppose that is part of being in the army.

Tango2Bravo said:
I conducted a couple of liaison visits with the Latvian/Estonian/Lithuanian and Polish armies a few years ago and have served with troops from those armies on two missions abroad. This should be a very good mission for our army in terms of the experience that the troops will gain. Our troops should get to conduct realistic training with NATO partners (the Baltic NATO folks plus the US, Brits, Germans etc) in some new areas while supporting our allies. I imagine that battle groups will rotate through the vehicles that deploy which will likely involve some angst, but I suppose that is part of being in the army.

You mean things like noise discipline, light discipline, etc are going to come back in style?  [;)

recceguy said:
Sounds like a few more than 500. Just sayin'

Yes, probably closer to the "up to a 1000" number mentioned in the articles.

Hamish Seggie said:
You mean things like noise discipline, light discipline, etc are going to come back in style?  [;)

Yep!

As Roman (the cartoonist) once said: "This chicken-sh** outfit is the only place they make you drive with your lights on during the day, and off during the night."  [:D

Lightguns said:

I've commanded soldiers through the high-readiness ringer a couple times in the last few years, and nor did we.  However, I've seen insufficient or extremely tardy recognition for soldiers come through the pipeline for both individual and group achievements, and it does get discussed.  There is nothing wrong in ensuring soldiers receive appropriate recognition for their actions, hence why the discussion likely came about.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Yep!

As Roman (the cartoonist) once said: "This chicken-sh** outfit is the only place they make you drive with your lights on during the day, and off during the night."  [:D

Ummmm?  That is what we used to do.  It worked well. 

Of course we were (4 CMBG) Recce and were always a thorn in the side of our opponents.

George Wallace said:
Ummmm?  That is what we used to do.  It worked well. 

Of course we were (4 CMBG) Recce and were always a thorn in the side of our opponents.

By opponents, you mean 4CMBG HQ, right?

Altair said:

I just want to go somewhere.(other than Wainwright, Gagetown etc etc)

FTFY :)

Back