• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Calling all Zipperheads

Using that chassis for an APC or IFV would be coming full circle for the Canadian Army. We were one of the first to develop a fully tracked APC during WWII and we used a converted tank for it.

When the various armoured regiments in England equipped with Ram Tanks were re equipped with Shermans etc. Someone had the great idea to convert the Rams into aother vehicles including APCs called Kangaroos which carried a 10 man section and had a .50 cal HMG for protection or close support.

As to what MBT to get in a perfect world. Either M1 or LeoII works for me depending on which had the better deal for spares etc.

Although why stop there. We have three regular regiments and if we were to take the numbers in the 16 odd reserve units, probably enough for four more full regiments right.

I‘d say we have 4 "Heavy" Armoured Regiments (2x regular and 2x composite reserve) with 3x Sabre Sqns of LeoIIs or M1s (and a recce sqn with Coyotes) and 3 "Light" Armoured Regiments (1x regular and 2x reserve) with 3x Sabre Sqns (and the recce sqn) of a light tank (not the Strikeout, sorry Stryker) but something like the Stingray with a 105mm.

That would give us the flexability of sending a lighter more airportable but still a real tank armoured presence in lower intensity ops and/or the MBTs in a real full blown shooting war.

Then again as long as it‘s wishful thinking I have a whole list.... :(

Franko.. as you know.. we use SRTPFSDS-T for training and APFSDS-T for "war". We also have the HESH, Smoke WP and SH PRAC rounds that we use on a regular basis. You being a "tanker" you‘d know that I am sure.. I of course had to go look through my gunnery course documentation to confirm all that!! Bzz

i wrote a letter to casr and asked them to forward to the minister of defence, which stated that the stryker is not a tank‘ and would not have the confidence of the troop‘s,for all the obvious reason‘s stated on this post.
but do you think it will make a diff, when the minister is getting his info from general‘s concerned about their pension‘s ...I THINK NOT!

Answer to the question from FRANKO leo2 for our 4 reg regiments,stryker or similar veh for inf direct support, (stryker‘s attached perm to inf unit‘s)

I am biased. I think our three Reg Armd Regt‘s should be completely kitted with Leo II. The Engineer variants of the Leo II are fantastic pieces of kit. German engineering goes a long way in their tanks as well as their cars. Easy to maintain, etc.

Gepards, or the latest versions, would be a must for our Bird Gunners. Their cruising around in Grizzly‘s out in Best Time Ever in Wainwright was a disgrace. They didn‘t know how to properly work with tanks or the other Cbt Arms and often were in front of the lead Fighting troops--very suicidal. Gepards would offer them much better protection and mobility than that offered by Grizzly‘s, tracked ADATs or towed guns.

GW

Good points all. Bzzz... Never said I was a gunner...

George...welcome to this forum, I‘m sure you‘ll have fun :D

George!!!

Nice to see you....been a long time Bud!

Cheers-Garry

Garry

Thought that might be you, from the old C Sqn days. How is the Air Traffic Control business these days?

Good to hear from you.

GW

Ahhh yes....Franko bringing old buddies together...

Priceless :D

Regards

George,

Very well thanks. Business is booming (LOL)

Thanks Franco!

PM sent.

Cheers-Garry

Originally posted by Franko:
[qb] Ahhh yes....Franko bringing old buddies together...

Priceless :D

Regards [/qb]
And you were asking why he sounded like George Wallace of the RCD...

I SOUND LIKE GEORGE WALLACE?! An 80 year old man who got in when the Centurion was a rank and not a tank. Completed his TQ3 in the Falaise Pocket?

I‘m honoured...I think? :D

Regards

this question has been bothering me...why do they call armour guys Zipperheads?

Originally posted by patty:
[qb] this question has been bothering me...why do they call armour guys Zipperheads? [/qb]
A yes another urban legend. We call Strathconas (customary spit off to side)Zipperheads because they used to have zippers on their boots, crewsuits and as a joke someone sewed a Zipper to a Strat Officer‘s beret (more than one case of that happening). Another story is that: quite often while travelling cross country in a tank, the gunner who couldn‘t see were they were going, would quite often be bashed about the sights and equipment in his hole and suffer serious cuts to his scalp and the stitches when exposed to view looked like a Zipper. We didn‘t wear helmets in those days.

You can pick the story you like best. Me, I only think of Strats as being Zipperheads.

GW

I also heard of a WW1 tankers‘ story of the effects of spall on the crews. The spall was called "Zipps" because of the way it flew around inside the fighting compatment. If a lad was hit in the head...Zipperhead.

Probably another urban legend.

Regards

:) Greetings All, As a former M1/A1 Master gunner I can actually speak with some authority on the subject. There are apparently some media induced myths about DU. First it decomposes at about the same rate as most mountain ranges :D
It‘s only leathal when you are on the receiving end. As far as use in armor and such, it IS currently in service in the M1A1(HA)(USMC&USA) and the M1A2. And the armor is not Chobbam BTW...
I would think that a fleet of M1/M2 ought to be able to be obtained at bargan prices... and of course the assilimination that would follow would be of benefit to the US of course. ;)

Hi Master Blaster,

Welcome to the forum.

I served with a US Master Gunner at Camp Gagetown, NB (he was on a 2 year hitch with us)- did the Canadian Advanced Armoured Gunnery course together- he was a good guy, with a wealth of knowledge.

Cheers-Garry

Your skull was generally split open by a hatch that was not latched down. Cruising cross country with a smile on your face and WHAM! Driver advance ...Driver...What the #$@$%#@. Driver wakes up to have his lid repaired and thus he has a instant zipper installed to keep his brain fluid in place............Had a few rude awakenings cruising cross country but always blammed my Gunner!

Master Blaster...we meet again MWWWAAHAHAHAaaa :D

Glad to see you made the leap!

Your assimilation is now complete...resistance WAS futile ;)

Regards

Back