• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bush on "Meet The Press."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzo

Inactive
Reaction score
For those of you who missed this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/ID/4179618/

Read it for yourselves, draw your own conclusions.

I get the feeling Tim Russert went into this interview with some biased opinions backing his questions. Bush came up with some great points, and I love how his simplicity and logical explanations stomps out all the ranting of those anti-bush tools.

"We cant say â Å“Let‘s don‘t deal with Saddam Hussein. Let‘s hope he changes his stripes, or let‘s trust in the goodwill of Saddam Hussein. Let‘s let us, kind of, try to contain him.â ? Containment doesn‘t work with a man who is a madman.

And remember, Tim, he had used weapons against his own people."

That alone would make me want him to be re-elected back into office.

I don‘t think the President is a good speaker. I don‘t understand the rationale for doing an interview like that, at this time.

That being said, I‘d rather have a man with ‘nads running the country, than some hand-wringing wimp, who was an excellent public speaker....

I agree muskrat89, He‘s a good public speaker, but not necessarily presidential quality. But thats besides the point, its what he has to say that matters to me, not how he says it.

"And remember, Tim, he had used weapons against his own people."

you do know that when he used those weapons it was under Reagan, and nothing happened. In fact he got more money to kill Kurds and keep up his fight against Iran. So for me that does hold water, because the US govn‘t at the time didn‘t care. I‘m not going to rebate the Iraq war, it done and over with. Now Iraq is totally unstable, I don‘t think that is going to change for years. So I‘m Iraqi people will be happy to have bombs going off for years to come.

Plus, there was a little thing called the Soviet Union at that point in time...I‘m sure they would have had something to say about invading their client states.

Iraq was not a client state of Soviet Union, it was being funded by the United States. Yes it had lots of Soviet kit, but that point in time 1986-1989 it was supported by the US.

S_baker, I can‘t say i can find another country was upset enough to do something either. To me, I can‘t agree with Bush using it as a reason to invade 16 years later.

He didn‘t use it as a reason to invade. He used it as an example of Saddam‘s willingness to use chemical weapons. That, in turn, substantiated the perceived threat of Saddam‘s possession, and possible use of - WMDs.

For such a stickler for facts and semantics while on the defense, you seem to make some pretty tenuous connections while trying to support your own position....

Iraq was not a client state of Soviet Union, it was being funded by the United States. Yes it had lots of Soviet kit, but that point in time 1986-1989 it was supported by the US.
Those weren‘t M-60‘s getting shot up by the US and the Brits in the Sandbox.

If you remember, George Bush Sr. had to really finesse Gorbachev over lauching the first invasion. The Soviet‘s considered the Arab states their turf due to America‘s support of Israel. That is why they threatened to turn Tel Aviv into a glowing parking lot following the Arab reversal in the Yom Kippur War.
This combined with the military relationship between the two meant big ties. Yes, they were supported by the states in their conflict with Iran, but it doesn‘t mean Saddam was cutting ties with the Soviets.

Did anyone watch the the Daily Show with Jon Stewart yesterday? He showed a clip from meet the pres in which GWB says "I think we‘re welcomed in Iraq"
jon: "He further added, rocket propelled grenades is the new ‘aloha‘ "

Here‘s the video:

http://www.comedycentral.com/mp/play.php?reposid=/multimedia/tds/headlines/8096.html

First off I have to say you people must be insane!   For ANYONE to read that transcript and think "President" Bush was intelligent and made great points truly demonstrates that you are deluding yourself.   You KNOW he sounded like an idiot, but you are unwilling to admit that your guy F*d up.   That he came off sounding like a lying little boy, unable to answer a question directly (not that ANY politician can).

My favorite part was where he said he didn't preemptively attack Iraq but the UN attacked Iraq!   I couldn't believe it!

You people need to admit that "President" Bush:
1) Was not legally elected but stole the election.
2) Is not the brightest bulb on the tree.
3) Attacked an evil man that had nothing to do with 9/11.
4) Ignored Saudi Arabia, the country that IS be directly linked to the 9/11 attack, because he and his family have close economic ties with the Saudi Family.
5) Gave Cheney's old company, Halliburton, no bid contracts worth billions of dollars.
6) SAT FOR SEVEN MINUTES, LOOKING DUMBLY ALL AROUND, AFTER HE FOUND OUT THE NATION WAS UNDER ATTACK!
7) Is attacking a bonified war hero for his honarable service while he was AWOL, drunk, and high on cocaine.
8) Pretends to run a Christian government and care about "obscenity" on the air waves but supports his Vice President when he curses out a US Senator (Not ONE republican has said boo about this, but they sure do want Howard Stern shut down for disagreeing with the "President")

How anyone can vote for this booze addled coke head is beyond me.   How any active duty member or veteran can support this coward while he attacks a war hero on the hero's war record, escapes me.   How anyone can have read that Bush transcript and say he made even a modicum of sense baffles me.

The only thing I can think of is that you hate Clinton SO MUCH that you still can't see beyond your blind rage.   Or maybe you just hate Liberals and are willing to ignore how evil your guy is just to beat them.

You people need to sit down, count to 10, and THINK about what is reality.   I know if you are honest with yourself you will be able to admit that Bush should not be reelected (not that he was elected the first time.)

Kaitain said:
First off I have blahblahblah

I wish Americans could be like Canadians and decide elections on WHAT THE CANDIDATES WILL DO TO FIX THE PROBLEMS rather than WHAT DID HE DO THIRTY YEARS AGO.  As boring as our election was, it was nice to see the candidates and the people talk about current problems and how they will fix them.  Character issues were made, but they dealt with the present, not the 1970s.  I'll be glad when this crappy election is over with already, yearlong campaigning is a bit much.

Kaitain,

First post, and you decide to dig up a dead post and launch into a rabid, Michael Moore inspired diatribe against George W Bush.  For the most part, nobody cares.  Maybe you should try a little harder on post 2....

1) Go read the court documents and the results of several recounts.
2) Bush is not as stupid as portrayed, either.  Does difficulty speaking publicly necessarily imply stupidity?
3) Probably true.
4) Ignored Saudi Arabia, but not for the reason you cited.  To attack Saudi Arabia, the home of Mecca and Medina, would have been gravely provocative to Muslims.
5) Done to bypass a tendering process that takes months to produce results.
6) You can't possibly know why he continued calmly to complete his current activity.  Have you asked him?
7) Prove that Bush was drunk, high, and AWOL.  Prove that Kerry is anything more than someone who merely did his duty for 4 months and ran home as soon as regulations permitted.

>How anyone can vote for this booze addled coke head is beyond me.

You believe he still is a substance abuser?  Prove it.

A "war hero" is someone like Audie Murphy.  What Kerry did is nothing more than what would be expected of a junior officer.

>The only thing I can think of is that you hate Clinton SO MUCH that you still can't see beyond your blind rage.

It occurs to me that the people who have gone insane with rage and frustration to the point of losing their objectivity are not necessarily people on the Republican side of the spectrum.

Are you poorly educated, ill- or misinformed, or just being deliberately obtuse by placing your beliefs about how you would like things to be ahead of things as they really are?

Brad, as you well know, most combatant officers in Vietnam served tours of duty only half as long as the men they commanded, at least in the Army and Marines.   Read Caputo's book A RUMOR OF WAR, or Anderson's book on the rear areas of Vietnam (name escapes me right now, I can find it at home).

I have seen 4 and 6 month figures given for Kerry.   Did the Navy have different requirements vis a vis tours of duty in combat duties?   I don't necessarily believe that Kerry shirked his duty; whether or not his awards of the Order of the Purple Heart were for serious wounds, it seems likely to me, based on the limited information I've read, that he did what other junior officers in-country did:   serve a six month tour of duty in a combat role.

If you know otherwise, I would love to be corrected - I can't seem to find the correct answer on this point.

Here's some info I've found just by searching around.  It doesn't sound like the Purple Hearts were awarded for serious wounds, esp. the first one.  He was awarded a bronze and a silver star though.  Were those given out as often (and as easily) as the purple heart? 

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/president/kerry/articles/2004/04/14/kerry_faces_questions_over_purple_heart/

http://www.nationalreview.com/york/york200405041626.asp

brin11 said:
Here's some info I've found just by searching around.   It doesn't sound like the Purple Hearts were awarded for serious wounds, esp. the first one.   He was awarded a bronze and a silver star though.   Were those given out as often (and as easily) as the purple heart?  

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/president/kerry/articles/2004/04/14/kerry_faces_questions_over_purple_heart/

http://www.nationalreview.com/york/york200405041626.asp

Yes, but the V for Valor was harder to (legitimately) earn - Bronze Star was given for merit as well as bravery, but the V distinction was only for bravery under fire.

I don't see President bush as a brilliant man by any stretch of the word. From interviews, to comments on TV to comments to michael moores video to the little interview link i just read.  Kerry seems like he has the backbone of a bag of milk. He flip flops through everything.
He just comes across as a real oddball.

I would rather see the americans have a president who fights a war in the middle east than a president who lets a war be fought in north america.

No sitting on the fence for our southern friends, its far right wing or far left wing.

I think Arnold The terminator should leave office in california and run for president.  Laugh if you will but he strikes me as having a head on his shoulders. As for being a war hero, he's stoped the predator and saved john conner like twice. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back