• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bring Back the army Forage / Peak Caps ... ?

Should the army bring back the peak cap for wear with our DEU's?

• Yes'sir . . . makes the troops look sharp & professional

Votes: 71 45.2%
  • No flerking way . . . only green berets touch my skull

Votes: 86 54.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
MD - I am sure that there are hundreds of posts and/or personalities that you could take issue with, on this board. With you and Infanteer, it seems personal. If that's the case, take it to PMs, or file a complaint with Mike Bobbitt if you have a problem.

Anyways to try and steer this back on topic. How about we resurrect the tricorne hat why'll we're at it? I always though that they looked spiffy.

Also, maybe its too much of HBO's Rome lately but some of those helmets with the inverted shoe brush on top are like rilly kewl too. Also practical too, no excuse for unshined boots.

On to other things as another threads spirals hopelessly off course:

paracowboy said:
oh, just to make it clear: do NOT get caught wearing your forage cap backwards, DEU pants pulled down over your undies, and shirt undone from the bottom up, with only the very top button done up, and a Browning stuffed in the waistband.

Sar'nts-Major look so sad when they cry.

Cowboy between this  the Prada patrol gear fixation, and the clothing optional battle drills, someone of us are becoming concerned. :eek:

I like to think of it as "hanging ten" on the front wave of fashion. I'm an innovator.

I agree they do look sharp on parades only. For every day use Ill stick to my beret.
The good thing about forage caps was in the rain. At leas it drained away and gave some
protection to the face

CANSIGS said:
I agree they do look sharp on parades only. For every day use Ill stick to my beret.
The good thing about forage caps was in the rain. At leas it drained away and gave some
protection to the face

You would think..............not!!!

wore red band & blue band before wearing the green one..........
perfectly content with my beret
Thank you very much for asking

Chimo!

During our TQ3 course we were told that we
would never wear them anymore.
Many of us threw them out or burned them.

Nothing but a Black Beret has touched my skull since !

Unfortunately, Arty council keeps rejecting the Midnight Blue beret for gunners due to the cost of issuing every gunner a new beret.

Well, with the scrapping of the old clothing allowance, and the new points system at www.logistikunicorp.com, maybe the arty council will agree to bring you your midnight blue beret. I'm sure the gunners wouldn't have a huge heartache over cashing in a couple points to get a new beret.  ;)

Hmm. Wearing a green beret with my patrol blues just looks...Wrong on so many different levels.

If your Regt can afford Patrols, they can afford the hats that go with them.

Tom

TCBF said:
If your Regt can afford Patrols, they can afford the hats that go with them.

Tom

I had to acquire mine on my own. I picked up an old Royal Artillery set (cheap, too), then just changed the buttons, shoulder titles and collar dogs. The cap I got for free from a militaria dealer friend of mine - dated February 1962 with a pre-1974 RCEME badge. I had to make the lanyard myself, since the kitshop in Borden no longer carries them. And they don't carry the belt buckles for white stable belts anymore either, so I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for one in my travels. Thus is the saga to find Patrols. Pathetic, I know. :rolleyes:

I have to say that the current green forage caps are ugly.  But for certain units and/or trades (not all), I think they should adopt unique forage caps for ceromonial purposes only, not for everyday wear.

As for armour (or LdSH(RC) anyways), they should adopt the Stetson!  A historical tie to its inception during the Boer War!  ;D

RangerRay said:
I have to say that the current green forage caps are ugly.   But for certain units and/or trades (not all), I think they should adopt unique forage caps for ceromonial purposes only, not for everyday wear.

As for armour (or LdSH(RC) anyways), they should adopt the Stetson!   A historical tie to its inception during the Boer War!   ;D
Same for all Units.

forage caps.... why.  Our current head dress look much better and is more useful.  It would just be a waste of money.

The Stetson is a great idea . . . but would we put our ranks on the front, our cap badge, or leave it plain?   Would senior NCO's & senior officers have thicker gold rope crossing over the base of the hat itself?   Oh the possibilities.

On another note, do you think we should add the Sam Brown Belt.   The thick black belt around the waist with the interconnected strap that crosses over your chest and around your opposite shoulder?

The idea of forage caps, stetsons, belts and any other such accessories was always intended to be worn only on special occasions whilst in full DEU regalia ... never to be adorned in day-to-day garrison duty.  Combats & berets will suffice thanks.  My intention was for formal dress only.

ceremonial dress is dependent on your regimental association and there fore is NOT public expense. For example the RCR scarlets, the RCD dress uniform or the strat's ridining troop are all paid for by their associations.

So each regiment and corps should wear what they see fit for their quarter guards or other ceremonial parades.

That should sum up that conversation. Lets stick to forage caps and what a complete waste of $$$ it is. NO FORAGE CAPS.

Just had to check in on the status of this poll....thank God the beret is still way out in front!! ;D

ArmyRick said:
ceremonial dress is dependent on your regimental association and there fore is NOT public expense.

I believe there is a public grant that can be obtained for authorized Ceremonial dress.  I don't recall the Q&R O and CFAO at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back