• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boatswain (BOSN)

Ex-Dragoon said:
You do realize you are disagreeing with a CPO2 Bosun who probably has forgotten more about seamanship then we will ever learn right?

It's conceivable that a reserve MARS lieutenant might know something about the crew of an MCDV that a reg force CPO2 Bosn wouldn't, isn't it?

N. McKay said:
It's conceivable that a reserve MARS lieutenant might know something about the crew of an MCDV that a reg force CPO2 Bosn wouldn't, isn't it?

I wasn't going to mention this but...I will now. 

In the Army, I was taught attention to detail was important.

There are no Lt's in the Navy IIRC.  There are ASLts, SLt's and Lt(N).

I know..picking fly crap outta pepper but...Dimsum has it in his profile.  If I am to believe he knows his crap about naval matters, I would hope he knows what the correct rank in that Branch is.

Eye In The Sky said:
I wasn't going to mention this but...I will now. 

In the Army, I was taught attention to detail was important.

There are no Lt's in the Navy IIRC.  There are ASLts, SLt's and Lt(N).

I know..picking fly crap outta pepper but...Dimsum has it in his profile.  If I am to believe he knows his crap about naval matters, I would hope he knows what the correct rank in that Branch is.

Hey Eye, just putting some attention to detail to your attention to detail.  I've sailed with Dimsum so I know his current situation, but looking also at his profile, he shows his MARS experience as only going until 2007.  His current MOC is shown as 00182 (AirNav) which could explain why his current rank is shown as "Lt".

As for the discussion on CBM vs. CQM on the MCDVs, I also recall it as the "baby buffer" being the CQM.

N. McKay said:

given the choice I would go with the CPO2...generally speaking they have proven to be more knowledgeable and competent in the past.

airmich said:
Hey Eye, just putting some attention to detail to your attention to detail.  I've sailed with Dimsum so I know his current situation, but looking also at his profile, he shows his MARS experience as only going until 2007.  His current MOC is shown as 00182 (AirNav) which could explain why his current rank is shown as "Lt".

Whoops!  My bad.

If you know him, perhaps you can point out to him that his profile is alittle confusing as it currently is filled out?

Eye In The Sky said:
If you know him, perhaps you can point out to him that his profile is alittle confusing as it currently is filled out?

What is it that confuses you ?

Its says hes a 0182 (thats ANAV) and that he was MARS from 2000-2007. Seems clear.

No ?

Eye In The Sky said:
Whoops!  My bad.

Naval Reserve MARS until 2007 and now an ANAV seems clear to me as well.

Well thanks for the vote of confidants regarding my professional knowledge. I do however want to point out that I'm definitely not an expert when it comes to the Bosn's on the MCDV's and who does what there. I can comment on the training of both Reg and Reserve Boatswains. There are lots of differences between the two and both have their pros and cons.

A little quote to clear things up:

SSOs, Chp 10, Para 5

"NOTE: In KINGSTON Class vessels the Chief Quartermaster will be a MS/LS QL2(R)/QL2 selected by the CBM and responsible to the CBM for the above duties."

To be sure, in a perfect world with ships laden with personnel, the above holds true. These days, a large amount of duties are being carried out by the SHOD/CHOD.

The Boatswain's Call  :cdn:

In former days it was worn in English ships as a badge of rank, because it was always used for passing orders. For years it was even worn as a badge of office os the Lord High Admiral of England and his successors up to 1562. Thereafter it was used in the English fleet for passing all orders and since 1671 it became generally known as the "boatswain's call".

Nowadays the boatswain's call and chain are the badge of office of the Chief Boatswain's Mate, the Quartermaster and Boatswain's Mates. The expression "To Pipe" means, to sound on the boatswain's call and the spoken order to qualify it. Some "Pipes" are even orders and do not require any verbal qualification.

The Boatswain's Call

The boatswain's call is held in the hand between the index finger and thumb, the latter being on or near the shackle. The side of the buoy rests against the palm of the hand. The fingers close over the gun and buoy hole in such a position as to be able to throttle the exit of air from the buoy to the desired amount. Care must be taken that the fingers do not touch the edge of the hole in the buoy, or over the hole in the end of the gun, otherwise all sound will be completely choked.

Marlin Spike said:
I can comment on the training of both Reg and Reserve Boatswains. There are lots of differences between the two and both have their pros and cons.

Just curious, besides the course names (ie Reserve QL1 v. Reg QL3), what are some differences btwn the Reg/Res F BOSN training, and some of the pros/cons? 

Adding to Marlin Spike's post here is a copy of the Boatswain's Pipe chart that I have:

http://forums.navy.ca/forums/index.php?action=gallery&g2_itemId=39165

Dimsum The following are subjects that are not instructed to Naval reserves.
CoXswain Small Boats/Coxswain Rescue (RHIB as the Boat);
Participate in a RAS;
Participate in Seamanship Evolution;
Conduct Above Water Demoiltions;and
Carry Out Maintenance Administration.

Just a way to restate a post I had made on this form.

Regarding the position in Navy for a Botswain.

Would there be a big demand for this position? In regarding lack of people to take this position?

Is this a good position to find further advancement later on in one's career.

What type of demographic of people take on this position?

How physically demanding is this position?

Would this position be good to do for 25 to 30 years in the Navy?

Whats the longest duration someone may have been in this position?

What are the most popular Navy positions in the Non-Commissioned area of the Navy?

What is the present condition of the Navy ships? are all ships sea worthy at this time? or any under long term maintenance?

Thank you

worldtraveller321 said:
...Regarding the position in Navy for a Botswain.

Would there be a big demand for this position? In regarding lack of people to take this position?
What are the most popular Navy positions in the Non-Commissioned area of the Navy?
What is the present condition of the Navy ships? are all ships sea worthy at this time? or any under long term maintenance?

Answers
1.  A recruiting centre can tell you, or you could ask a question here.
2.  A recruiting centre can tell you, but without knowing what you mean by "further advancement" it's hard to say.
3.  This may help.  More information here on CF demographics can be found here.
4.  Good question - I've heard that underway, esp during a RAS, the job can be pretty demanding, but I'm not navy so it's 2nd hand evidence.
5.  That's one for you to answer, but a recruiting centre may be able to help you out.
6.  Another question for a CFRC.
7.  Sounds like you are fishing for research paper answers.  Not sure what you are looking for.  A CFRC may help.
8.  Read the newspapers, visit www.navy.forces.gc.ca or DND press releases about ships.  If it's not there, then it's OPSEC.

Best of luck in your fact-finding.

worldtraveller321 said:

Regarding the position in Navy for a Botswain.

Did you not like the answers the first time?  There is no need to start yet another thread on your questions.  If you were looking to clarify what you are trying to ask, you could simply have added on to what you already started.

BTW, if you are really interested in something, you would have done some research already.  Which might have started with the proper spelling of the trade you are interested in..... ::)

worldtraveller321 said:

Last Active:  Today at 16:52:13

I am beginning to smell a rat.  A "post 'n run" rat.

Pssst its Boatswain abbreviated to bosun/bos'n.

Even though the information has been stated here numerous times I will help out seeing how you are obviously too lazy to look. There are always big demands for bosuns, they are the true salts of the Navy.

Your career is in your own hands, the Navy will do what they can to help you but its up to you to advance yourself.

Whomever wants to do the job and those that make the requirements.

Well if your joining the CF you should not be a slug.

Well if your a Bosun for that long and if you applied yourself you should be at the Petty Officer or Chief level and in a whole different area of your trade.

Why does it matter if we are talking about a career choice for you? You can join when your 17 and retire when you are 60. figure it out.

Every trade has its pros and cons.

All turned into razor blades in South Korea. Have you even looked at the news or done any research of your own? if so you would already know the answers you seek.

Would like to know if a position of Boatswain for the Canadian Navy would be a considered a good choice to pursue as a life long career?

Or would this position be considered the bottom of the barrel grunt job that is only suitable for the younger cadets around 18 to 20?

I was considering joining the navy at my ripe old age of 30+
This positions looks quite busy and interesting.

Just wanted feedback of a good direction to take regarding a career path etc.

Is this position extremely physically demanding etc?

What are the other alternatives or positions that one would recommend also for the Navy that are good entry level?
THank you

You asked about the Boatswain back in dec 2008.....almost the same questions too.

Since then have you even bothered contacting your local Recruiting Centre?

Milnet.Ca Staff

Back