• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boatswain (BOSN)

I heard its almost impossible to get in cuz there are to many is that true ?

:cdn:

Hedgehog18 said:
I heard its almost impossible to get in cuz there are to many is that true ? :cdn:

With the CDS talking about getting an Amphib(s), plus the navy getting the JSS and down the road a common hull to replace both the 280s and the CPFs you will most likely see a recruiting drive on for both Boatswains and any other hard sea trade.

I've read just about everything i could find on the net about being a BOSN and BOSN training , i would like to know even more than this though. There isn't much talk on the net about BOSN life or the training for that matter. My bmq finishes sometime in November and from there i'll be doing further training for the Boatswain trade. Anyone know some 'perks' about being a BOSN , i hear on here that jobs as an operator of any sort generally have more 'off time' or 'breaks' so to speak. I'm really looking forward to this job , all my past work expirence has been generally tough physical labor of sorts , so i think i'll fit in somewhat. I used to load trucks with 50-Pound bags of dogfood all day long in some pretty high temperatures , all by hand. Being a bosn sould be easier somewhat more relaxed than that  8)

I hope someone can blast me and tell me i'm wrong , or something , anything. Cause i just want to know more  :salute:

Are you reg or reserve?  I know of a couple bosns on the site here, I'll send them the link to your post and maybe they can help you out a bit.  I've worked with bosns and could give you a basic idea of what you do, day to day.  But I'll hold off on that for now, and see if some deckapes show up first.  :D

I will be finishing my BMQ in November and from there on i continue to be trained as a Boatswain. I'm really looking forward to all of this. I've learned alot of what the Bosn does and what the training is like.
I would appreciate any info about the BOSN training or any info at all from fellow Boatswains themselves.
There really isn't a whole lot out there about this job.

Thanks to whoever responds.

:cdn:

Hahaha deck apes , i love the idea of that. I also heard somewhere i'm going to be paid in bananas.
I have been accepted with the reg force.

Papa 211, next thing on your plate is 13 weeks of Basic Military Qualification in St Jean Quebec. Then it is off to Fleet School Esquimalt for NETP (makes you safe to go to sea). Once your done that its your QL3 course (in Esquimalt) in which you will learn all you need to know as an apprentice Boatswain. Then you will be posted to the West or East Coast (as the CM sees fit) for employment. After your QL5 you will be able to choose your Home Port Division, where you will stay until (in most cases) the end of your career.

Word to the wise. We on the West Coast in general and at Sea Div in particular have taken a very dim view of the shenanigans that have gone on over the last couple of years. We have gone hard over with charges, placing folks in cells and sending them to Edmonton for further education.
When you arrive at Nelles Block (Accommodation) you may find some of the rules draconian but that is a result of the actions of a few that have resulted in pain for the many.

So my advice to you is keep your nose clean, show up to work on time in the proper rig, get wasted Friday or Saturday night (unless you have weekend duty) only and keep an eye on your wingers. Follow these simple rules and you'll have a great time as a Bosn.

Papa 211, next thing on your plate is 13 weeks of Basic Military Qualification in St Jean Quebec. Then it is off to Fleet School Esquimalt for NETP (makes you safe to go to sea). Once your done that its your QL3 course (in Esquimalt) in which you will learn all you need to know as an apprentice Boatswain. Then you will be posted to the West or East Coast (as the CM sees fit) for employment. After your QL5 you will be able to choose your Home Port Division, where you will stay until (in most cases) the end of your career.

Word to the wise. We on the West Coast in general and at Sea Div in particular have taken a very dim view of the shenanigans that have gone on over the last couple of years. We have gone hard over with charges, placing folks in cells and sending them to Edmonton for further education.
When you arrive at Nelles Block (Accommodation) you may find some of the rules draconian but that is a result of the actions of a few that have resulted in pain for the many.

So my advice to you is keep your nose clean, show up to work on time in the proper rig, get wasted Friday or Saturday night (unless you have weekend duty) only and keep an eye on your wingers. Follow these simple rules and you'll have a great time as a Bosn.

Someone must know a little something of a typical BOSN day , or what the training actually teaches you.

papa211 said:
or what the training actually teaches you.

I'm going to guess they teach you  Navy stuff and how to be a BOSN......but thats just a guess

I dont know if we have anyone in the trade on the site so you might have to  wait a bit for a detailed answer

Sea Div will teach you this:

Rope work- more in depth knowledge of knots and their uses
Rig upper deck equipment- how to erect awnings, deploy accommodation ladders and jumping ladders, maintaining upper decks
Lifting appliances-cranes and davits
Hand Sewing- learn how to operate and maintain a heavy duty sewing machine
Fire Small Arms- Sig Sauer, C7, C6,C7, C8, C9 .50 Cal HMG, LTG (line throwing gun)
Ships Boats- operating and navigating small boats
RAS- learn how to work in the dump (gear and stores handling area) during a replenishment at sea
Demolitions-learn how to rig and set a basic demolitions charge
Seamanship - learn how to rig the equipment for towing, mooring, and anchoring

When you are posted to a ship and you are alongside your typical day will start at 0750 and end at 1600. You will conduct daily cleaning stations, departmental maintenance and what ever job the Buffer and DeckO will think up for you.
At sea you will be on a 1 in 2 watch rotation and you will do the same as above and in addition you will stand watch on the bridge wings, lifebuoy sentry, helmsman and Boatswain mate. You'll fire the .50 cal, maybe be a member of the NBP, be a worker bee for RAS, Seamanship, Rigging of equipment and what ever other job the Buffer will think up for you.

On top of this you will have to learn the entire layout and arrangement of the ship you are on and learn an entire new language.

Have fun and I hope this helps.

CDN Aviator said:
I dont know if we have anyone in the trade on the site so you might have to  wait a bit for a detailed answer

There are 2 that I know of on here, and I sent them each a PM with the link to this thread when it was first started.  If they respond, they should be able to put into more detail what FSTO has posted.  But he has said it all fairly clearly to get started.

Thanks very much FSTO it sounds like i'm going to enjoy it all very much. :cdn:

and don't forget foreign ports, they were the best part of my time in the navy. And for what its worth, the rules at Nelles are draconian, even more so than Wainright or Kingston were (10 years ago) at least in Kingston a guy could have a beer in his room after a hard day on course. That said some guy done peter panned out the window on the third deck of Nelles hammered one night while having a smoke, of course I'm not sure how prohibiting drinking in the shacks had much to do with that. He started about noon at the Tudor house. (funny so do a bunch of BOSUN's I know) That said you do your 3's get to a boat and have a blast, when you stop having fun it's time to change trades as I did, or find something to get happy about again. (for what its worth I was a NavComm)

Would like to know more information on trainning or day to day routine. The day to day routine does differ if you are at sea or alongside. Please let me know and i will add my excellent years of experience to this thread...lol...

BEEFY06 said:
Would like to know more information on trainning or day to day routine. The day to day routine does differ if you are at sea or alongside. Please let me know and i will add my excellent years of experience to this thread...lol...

I am a little lost here, are you asking if he wants more information?  Or do you want more information?

This is what happens when a BOSUN uses the Internet machine.  ;D

See reply #4 if you want some information on the daily grind. 

Back