• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Blind leading the blind (now with limited guidance)

Zipper,
See subj title.  It will explain any comments that don't mesh with what you know to be true.

The MGS weighs a huge amout, if you read the PDF on page 8 you will see the american stryker variant weighs 30 000lbs combat ready level 1! level 3 will have it top out at juts over 60 000lbs!!!(wit th RGP extra armour) The c-130 can bearly carry it at combat level 1, seeing as we dont have many other heavy airlift options this is discouraging. The MGS will have a top speed of 66mph, so around 100km/h but its turing lenght needed is 60 ft! And then it has wheels...on roads its all good but when we got off road, into boggy grounds, sand etc...a tracked vehicle would be better...so much for the advantage of mobility and speed...I just think we should retain our tanks or get new ones if maintaining the Leo is expensive, why not go with a M1? or even a challenger or heck why not stay with a tried and true platform Leo2?! my thoughts...
UBIQUE!!!!!

we're not fully restricted to CC-130's when it comes to heavy airlifting. we've leased the AN-124 in the past, and this has no issues at all about lifting an MGS, let alone a full-weight MBT. even if the CF (for some reason) doesn't get a heavy-lift aircraft, be it a leased fleet of C-17s or fully-owned IL-76s, we can always call on the AN-124s to get stuff shipped around. it's inconveniant and time-consuming, though.  :(

LordOsborne said:
we're not fully restricted to CC-130's when it comes to heavy airlifting. we've leased the AN-124 in the past, and this has no issues at all about lifting an MGS, let alone a full-weight MBT. even if the CF (for some reason) doesn't get a heavy-lift aircraft, be it a leased fleet of C-17s or fully-owned IL-76s, we can always call on the AN-124s to get stuff shipped around. it's inconveniant and time-consuming, though. :(

No we can't. They almost didn't get them for the DART. It's a civvie company with many clients. If we're moving all our MGS and accoutrements, what do you think the Yanks'll be doing? I doubt they'll have any to spare at the time. This robbing Peter to pay Paul and depending on others is what has put us in such dire straights already.

I hear you recceguy. we really shouldn't be reliant on a civvie charter company to haul our gear. I remember what happened when that cargo vessel held our stuff hostage by refusing to dock at port. sadly, public opinion isn't at the point where the government is strongly pressured to purchase heavy lifters ???
in a perfect world, we'd have a mixed transport fleet that could take us anywhere, anytime.

All the LAV III's are to wide for the Herc anyway. We need the ability to haul our vehicles around no matter what. The C-130J won't do it. Maybe they'll come up with another airframe called the 130K that is 20 or more cm wider in order to take them, but until then its rent or lease.

However here is a good idea for this problem.

http://www.sfu.ca/casr/mp-modpropintro.htm

Something to think about.

The IDF does have a .50cal mounted over the 120mm, which they use for sniping. This is in addition to the co-axial. Certainly useful for limited Urban engagements.

George, I though all your experience was with RAM's and M4E8's or was that Geoff?  ;)

There really should be a cadet and OCDT filter on this site, the only "ranging" shot I ever fired was a spotter trace round out of a 106. We could estimate range back in those days, we ate our carrots!

Quote,
There really should be a cadet and OCDT filter on this site,

...or a filter that stops people from taking blind potshots 4 months later at a poster who was man enough to admit his mistake, ....oh wait we have..........

We don't randomly take shots at groups of people here "belt", I'm sure you can find internet tough guy sites for that,
welcome to army.ca.

Dopey officer cadets have always been fair game for ridicule, or at least they used to be, but then, **** and women were not allowed in my army, so   I must be a dinosaur..................

Modified by Slim for innapropriate words.
(I hate to be so PC but if the media saw that it would be all over the front page of something or other and the fluffy crowd would be up in arms about it.)
Sorry

Slim
STAFF

Wow,
you must REALLY be a dino if you were before women in the military.......Hmmmm....

Back