• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Best form of Cardio while injured??

Keebler

Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
I was just diagnosed with a very inflammed plantar fascia and was advised that i need to stop RUNNING for at least ten days to heal it etc.  My doc recommended rowing or biking, but i find neither of those exercises keep my cardio level up the same as when i run. I find those types of exercises a bit of a waste for me.  I was thinking maybe swimming, but am unsure if that will give me what i need either. Or would something like the Elliptical trainer be better? I was working on a 10km walk/run program and was in week 4 when this injury happened, so i want to keep that level at least while i recover so i can continue with week 4 and not have to go back to the start to rebuild my cardio again. This is my 3rd time getting injured(different injuries) in week 4 of this program and each time i have had to start back at week 1 to rebuild my cardio because biking and rowing etc did not work to maintain and keep my level up. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is the Best low impact cardio workout. Any suggestions??

Unofficially, I've been told that swimming is one of the highest intensity, yet low impact, exercises you can do.

Another low impact exercise would be an elliptical machine or a bike trainer. 

It seems your injury is caused by a repetitious pounding, therefore any exercise that stops that would work for you...

Just my two cents ;D

I have been following a program of biking, swimming and elliptical since being injured last year. It is brutal to try and maintain a certain level of cardio while allowing an injury to heal.

Swimming is excellent, for all the reasons Quag mentioned. The elliptical may be good for you, it depends on whether it aggravates your foot or not. The motion will still flex your entire leg/ankle/foot. Try it. As for stationary bikes, if you are not getting a cardio workout, then you are doing it wrong (no offence). Unless you cannot move your legs fast/hard enough vs the resistance, you should be able to attain your target heart-rate. I HATE the bike, but pretty much only for comfort reasons (and I even have a good pair of those sexy biking shorts now. Certain parts of old Wook still get a little.....numb, shall we say).

I was running 1/2 marathons when I destroyed my ankle and I definitely know where you are coming from.

All things considered, I find I am getting my best, most satisfying workouts from swimming. Speed, strength and cardio all at once.

Keebler said:
... My doc recommended rowing or biking, but i find neither of those exercises keep my cardio level up the same as when i run. I find those types of exercises a bit of a waste for me.  ... Any suggestions??

If you find rowing a waste of time, you're doing it wrong.  Get yourself on a Concept II machine, and do a 2000m race.  Get someone to show you how it's done, properly, preferably someone who's actually spent some time in a shell or a skull.  I have NEVER been as fit as I was when I rowed regularly, competitively, and properly.  I HATE working out indoors, but if I can't get out, I'll hit an ergometer for a super, full body workout.  It may not be that easy for you, as so much of the power is transmitted through the ankles to the foot pads.

A rough explanation of how to do it; I don't know if I can do it justice...

Get yourself in the "catch" position:  Knees at about 60 degree, head up, arms extended past the legs.
quickly extend the legs, keeping the body upright, and the arms extended.  As your legs hit full extension, start to lean back, which uses the lower back.  Once you're extended fairly far, the legs are straight, then start to pull the "oar" into the chest.  Hold this for a couple of seconds, as the "boat" runs.

Return to the catch position by extending the arms, bending at the waist, and then bending the knees.  Repeat two or three thousand times.

You need to get the sequence right, or you waste time and effort with having to lift the oar over the legs if they bend too early...and if you're actually in a shell, your blade catches the water and comes slamming back into your chest (if you're lucky) and into your face if you're not...this is known as "catching a crab", and can launch you clear out of the boat with a good crew and good speed.

Try it...it's a great workout.

DF

I was plagued with Plantar issues this time last year. I took up water running. A zero impact way of running in a pool...it is hard to explain but if you google it you can come up with some good resources.

Also a fair number of people on www.RunningMania.com have taken up water running to keep their cardio up while nursing injuries. I'm sure the good folks there would be willing to help you out.

Cheers,

CAW

Having dealt with plantar fasciitis in the past (along with two torn menisi and a host of other injuries), I recommend water running to maintain your cardio.  It is very good for PF.

As much as I enjoy a rowing workout, I would most definitely stay away from rowing with PF because of the lower limb workout entailed.

By the way, do not be disappointed if your injury is not noticeably better in only 10 days.  PF is notoriously slow to heal.  Mine took in excess of 10 months (mind you, I left it far too long before seeking treatment).

SamIAm said:
Having dealt with plantar fasciitis in the past (along with two torn menisi and a host of other injuries), I recommend water running to maintain your cardio.  It is very good for PF.

As much as I enjoy a rowing workout, I would most definitely stay away from rowing with PF because of the lower limb workout entailed.

By the way, do not be disappointed if your injury is not noticeably better in only 10 days.  PF is notoriously slow to heal.  Mine took in excess of 10 months (mind you, I left it far too long before seeking treatment).

Yeah same here. It was this time last year I finally gave in to the PF while on a training run for a 1/2M...I nursed it for a bit, but ran again in the Cabot Trail Relay Race....that killed me...I learned my lesson. I am just now getting back into serious training. Almost a year later. Armed with new shoes and my fingers crossed. Water Running was really the only thing to help me somewhat maintain my cardio level while allowing for my PF to heal properly...that and a really good Physio Therapist and Registered Massage Therapist.

Quag said:
Unofficially, I've been told that swimming is one of the highest intensity, yet low impact, exercises you can do.

Another low impact exercise would be an elliptical machine or a bike trainer. 

It seems your injury is caused by a repetitious pounding, therefore any exercise that stops that would work for you...

Just my two cents ;D

I say +1 to the elliptical machine.  I have a lower back injury and am supposed to avoid "running" as a regular exercise (herniated discs, spinal stenosis and a few other goodies) but the elliptical machines (the better ones atleast) are super.  You can involve upper/lower body, resistance levels, etc and I find them +1.

I used to shun them but then I tried them once in St-Jean last January and well, I was amazed how much I liked it.

And then there is the speech on doing various stuff, which you probably are aware of if you are active enough to be even facin' the issue you have now... ;D

Hope your injury heals quick and you are "back in the game".

By the way, if this is your third injury in 4 weeks of your program, I would hazard the guess that you are leaping into your training precipitously and aren't building up properly.  It really sounds to me like you are not following the 10% rule... and if you have to ask what the 10% rule is, you REALLY aren't ready for the training level you are attempting.

I would definitely second the suggestion for water running. I've used it myself for rehabilitating injuries that prevented me from running.

Generally the problem I've found with substituting other forms of cardio (ie. biking, swimming) is that they're not working the same muscle groups the same way you do when you run... so while you are getting a cardio workout, they will not necessarily help you maintain your ability to actually run. Water running, on the other hand, targets your muscles more the way actual running does, with the added bonus of extra resistance from the water (this makes it harder!), and without any impact to aggravate existing injuries.

As to the fact you're incurring frequent injuries in the early stages of a running program, the first thought coming to mind is what are you wearing for shoes? The second is how is this program of yours structured?

kas.

I had similar problems after long distance running (more than 8 km). Since then, I now go to the pool often and I swim nonstop. I've learned that it is, in fact, harder than running when you get the effort.
I do sprints, series, and endurance while in the pool. It helped me a lot for the cardio, I can't speak for running...

Thanks for all the input, i did check out some water running information online and found a pool not to far from my place that has a class 4 nights a week, i think i might start off with that, at least for the 10 days before i see the doctor again. That along with some weights to keep my leg muscles up, should do it as long as my injury goes away quickly(within 10 days).

As for my previous injuries, they were all completely different, the first was definately because i started running too fast for the program and ended up with shin splints for the first time in my life(which more had to do with a muscle imbalance from when i had knee surgery), but i have since corrected that issue and have what i thought was a good balance of muscle to do what i needed etc. I have also learned some techniques on stretching and strengthening the muscles for the shin to avoid that type of injury.

The second injury actually was not due to my running, just occured while i was in my 4th week, so it put me behind a bit.

And then of course this one, its the first time i have ever had issues with my plantar. I have what i thought was a great pair of running shoes as i went to the Running Room and they recommendended them after they analyzed my feet etc. and a cost of almost $200.  So i figure they should have known what they were talking about. My doc actually mentioned to go back there and see if they have any suggestions as i have only had them 3 months, he thinks i probably over pronate a bit and it has strained my plantar and they may have some insoles that can adjust it slightly.  I think it has become very inflamed mainly because i left it longer than i should have, so partly my own fault, i should have gone to the doc a week ago.

As for the 10% rule when running etc, i know the rule and i have not gone against it at all.  I have stayed at the same pace on the treadmill or even less than when i started during each training session and stuck to the program supplied from a Beginning Runners Handbook written by the Sport Medicine Council of BC. I would assume they know what they are talking.  My goal was to be able to run 10kms before April (Sun Run), but these injuries keep plaguing me, so the Sun Run is out for this year.  My doc did also mention that NOT ALL people are born to run, he wasnt trying to discourage me, but just mentioned that i may benefit from other forms of exercise without injuries better....I really did not want to hear that as i love the adrenaline rush from the workout and crave running after a 24hr break. I never thought i would say i liked running.

The only real reason i began running again last September was because i applied to the military and i know in Basic i would need to RUN ALOT!!  Once Basic is over and i have passed etc, i think giving up running might be in my best interest. Until then, its something i know i have to do.

Once Basic is over and i have passed etc, i think giving up running might be in my best interest.

Ha Ha Good luck with that.  If you're serious about being in the military, then you will have to keep up with the running. Otherwise, why even be in the military? You will be required to keep up a high level of fitness, which includes running. I hope you know what you're getting into.

If your goal was to run 10k before April, the question is what level were you at when you started?  Because if you are a beginner (which I am assuming given that you were recently fitted for footware -- I may be wrong), a goal of 10k in roughly 8 weeks is probably unrealistic if applying the 10% rule and throwing a 'maintenance/no increase week' in every 4th week.

Trust me, I am not criticizing.  I totally understand.  I am the world's worst for pushing too hard in my training and I have had to learn to dial it down abit.  I am still off (since September!) following my second meniscal tear.  If I could go back to the beginning of September and maybe miss one or two runs, or not run so long on a long run day or not work so hard on a speed day, I would in a heart beat.  Instead I spent September and October limping and in pain, November favouring my knee, December thinking about running, January trying running and realizing I was still injured.  February and March I have written off and will just wait until I get home from course.  So, when I suggest that you might be working too hard, I am hoping that I can save you from a tremendous disappointment.  You obviously have felt the pangs already from missing the April fun run.

(Atleast you are smarter than I... you went to the doctor.  I didn't go until after I ran a 1/2 marathon and almost crippled myself with the pain! I am so SMRT!)

hopeful_officer_girl said:
Ha Ha Good luck with that.  If you're serious about being in the military, then you will have to keep up with the running. Otherwise, why even be in the military? You will be required to keep up a high level of fitness, which includes running. I hope you know what you're getting into.

Given the "hopeful' aspect of your name, I take it you haven't actually made it to 'real officer girl'.  There are many ways of maintaining a high level of fitness, not all of which include running.  You might want to stay in your lane.

By the way, according to your profile, you will be a 2Lt AFTER you complete IAP/BOTC that starts in April?  To me, that means you are currently a civilian. 

Yes i know what i am getting into in the Military (going Navy) and as for running while im in, the yearly physical fitness test is a express test. Maybe im wrong, but nowhere have i read or heard from anyone that i will be required to RUN more than 20meters for that test. As long as i keep myself in shape with other forms of exercise including cardio i will be good to go to pass the express test. I could see if i was joining the army in infantry or another field groups type trade i might be required to run certain distances or lengths of time etc., but not sure about the Navy.

Can any of you who are in the military atest to requiring me to run once basic is over? As Hopeful_Officer_Girl states??

Speaking from what experience?

Oh, right.  You are on IAP next month.   ::)

And FWIW, your rank is OCdt or "civie" if you haven't been sworn in yet.  2Lt after IAP/BOTP means OCdt  (ref your profile).  I could put up "CWO once promoted 20 times..." means the same thing.  Don't spread your tail feathers so much..

I don't 'actively' run as I advised not to (back injury on Basic Para in '92) but since then I have ran when I had to, but you won't see me doing 10km runs as a rule.  There are other ways to keep fit.  

I can still ruck-up, can still lift weights but stopped the things that probably weren't the best for my back (martial arts was one).   Running (when required) is different that "I run every day 20 kms as a hobby I love".

I hope you know what you're getting into.

You haven't even started IAP yet...Do YOU really know?  I don't mean to sound critical, but you will see that depending on what trade you go in, running isn't necessarily a SUPER necessity.  While a person will still be expected to complete the CF EXPRES TEST annually, in some trades, they are not required to run everyday, and therefore can pursue other means of staying aerobically fit (ie. water running etc...)

The big question is if this injury limits the individual to be a candidate for the CF.

... and I love to run.  But I HATE ruck marches... 'cause it ain't nothing luck running biomechanically.

Well darn, that's no good. It sounds like you're approaching everything the right way, yet you're still getting injured. ??? The only other thing I can think of is to ask if you're taking enough rest days? I would recommend someone inexperienced run no more than 3 times a week, with at least one day off between runs. I tried looking up the details of the program you said you're using, but all I could find were links to buy the book. I would assume given the source though that it incorporates enough rest. :-\

I can't comment on your exact injury as its not one I've experienced myself. Maybe someone else can give some insight there. It might be helpful if you can find a doctor / athletic therapist in your area that's experienced with running injuries. Did wonders for my running issues.

Best of luck, hope you can get this sorted out. I can definitely relate to your frustration!

kas.

Back