• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Attempted assassination of Donald Trump 13 July 2024

I am guessing a lone nutter, who will be the hardest to stop as there is very little footprint prior to the event. X is full of people coming up with all sorts of stupidity and wannabe experts. This idiot had no concerns for anyone in the audience, stayed in view after taking the shots and clearly had no escape plan or idea of how fast the protection teams would have responded.
I hope he had a moment to comprehend how much he fu*ked up before he died.

What annoys me is the republican hypocrisy of "it's Bidens fault" for his bulls eye comment but still say Trump had nothing to do with J6 or anything else despite all his comments.
Likely the shooter never even saw the comment beforehand. My guess is he hatched the plan shortly after the announcement of the speech near his area and used Google maps to figure out where he could shoot from.

It was bad timing for Joe to make such a remark, such is life and death.

I am guessing a lone nutter, who will be the hardest to stop as there is very little footprint prior to the event. X is full of people coming up with all sorts of stupidity and wannabe experts. This idiot had no concerns for anyone in the audience, stayed in view after taking the shots and clearly had no escape plan or idea of how fast the protection teams would have responded.
I hope he had a moment to comprehend how much he fu*ked up before he died.
Apparently he lived an hour away. They’ll be trying to determine if he did any recce. Lots of different stuff they’ll do to run that down.

EDIT TO ADD: Another consideration- Pennsylvania’s an open carry state. You could hang out outside the secured venue with an AR all day and it would be legal. Not to say it wouldn’t attract attention, but open carry outside political rallies and at protests is a very normal thing down there. That would clutter up the security environment for sure, and make an armed threat stand out less until they did something outside that norm.

Apparently he lived an hour away. They’ll be trying to determine if he did any recce. Lots of different stuff they’ll do to run that down.

EDIT TO ADD: Another consideration- Pennsylvania’s an open carry state. You could hang out outside the secured venue with an AR all day and it would be legal. Not to say it wouldn’t attract attention, but open carry outside political rallies and at protests is a very normal thing down there. That would clutter up the security environment for sure, and make an armed threat stand out less until they did something outside that norm.
An open carry state, yes - but I think there is a question that needs to be asked as to how exactly the Secret Service detail somehow failed to spot a man climbing up a ladder, carrying a rifle, onto a roof with a clear eyeline to the speaker podium, at an estimated distance of 150 yards from it.

That would be outside the norm, I think - and merits an investigation, whether for negligence or whatever.

A few people in the crowd have said they saw this happen a minute or so before the shots were fired - and still the shooter managed to get a direct hit on his target.

An open carry state, yes - but I think there is a question that needs to be asked as to how exactly the Secret Service detail somehow failed to spot a man climbing up a ladder, carrying a rifle, onto a roof with a clear eyeline to the speaker podium, at an estimated distance of 150 yards from it.

That would be outside the norm, I think - and merits an investigation, whether for negligence or whatever.

A few people in the crowd have said they saw this happen a minute or so before the shots were fired - and still the shooter managed to get a direct hit on his target.
See my previous reply a page ago:

USSS would have the inner cordon, but would be relying on other local law enforcement for the much larger perimeter security. USSS simply wouldn’t have the resources for outer perimeter. Bear in mind that in the course of a political campaign they’re run absolutely ragged. I bet their recces are barely keeping up with the planned events. There was probably also degree of uncertainty about the presence of other friendly law enforcement within line of sight. There shouldn’t have been, but I bet there was. But there absolutely should have been some sort of local police on that roof at least controlling access.

With that said, while it’s clear some things went badly wrong, none of us have close to enough specific knowledge of how security was arranged to know where things went awry. @KevinB will probably have the best access of any of us here to solid but third hand info over the next few weeks. In the fullness of time there will no doubt be a full inquiry into this and we’ll get a fulsome picture. I will say that the actions of the close protective detail in Trump’s immediate vicinity was still swift, professional, and effective. He was well served by his detail. You’re going to see some dumb fucks on Twitter trying to sling mud at the USSS over some members fumbling their re-bolstering and such- pay them no mind. It just show those commentators don’t know what extreme stress does to fine motor skills. The tactics and actions shown were solid.

Investigative development: multiple news agencies quoting law enforcement that the firearm was traced to the suspect’s father, legally bought. No surprise there.

If he was remotely smart, he do a tabletop on google maps, drive out, walk around and confirm that things are still the same and that he can get onto the roof. I doubt he had any escape plan, likley one of these idiots who want to die famously.

I don't like Trump, I think he is an ass. That being said, he did not deserve this. As for the jackasses saying he brought this on himself, give your damn head a royal shake and lose the damn Trump Derangement syndrome.

And no, I wouldn't want this to happen to Biden or Trudeau or Jagmeet or any political leader. First, taking a life like this is dead wrong. Second, you make them a martyr and third, the only real credible way to beat your political opponent is at the voting polls, period. If your side loses, tough, that is democracy.

I’m traveling today - so I don’t have time to respond, and I also need to ensure what I’ve been told already is cleared for release -

There is more than meets the eye - @brihard has given you a lot of facts already

1) Guns aren’t a red flag down here
2) The event perimeter wasn’t breached
3) CS did their job

I expect that event perimeter’s and detail sizes will increase

Latest from POTUS45 himself, via his socials ...
1720977788944.png

I’m traveling today - so I don’t have time to respond, and I also need to ensure what I’ve been told already is cleared for release -

There is more than meets the eye - @brihard has given you a lot of facts already

3) CS did their job

I would expect the same for President Biden.

Just curious who else besides Trump and Biden and their families receive USSS protection?

I would expect the same for President Biden.

Just curious who else besides Trump and Biden and their families receive USSS protection?
Presidents, vice presidents, immediate family thereof, former presidents and immediate family, major pres/VP candidates and spouses, and some foreign dignitaries and designated events.

Wasn’t that immediate- USSS buried him under a pile of agents starting at about two second after the first shot, and he was down for about fifty seconds before they got him up to move him. In that time his detail is clearly heard saying “shooter’s down” and planning the extraction. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still great imagery for him, it just wasn’t like he immediately popped back up. The threat was known to be stopped by then.

Regardless, his first action after nearly losing his head was to do what he did - many others would likely have been panicked or simply went numb and went along with trying to get the hell out of there.

Regardless, his first action after nearly losing his head was to do what he did - many others would likely have been panicked or simply went numb and went along with trying to get the hell out of there.
Oh, for sure. It’s imagery you couldn’t buy with any amount of money. It was a savvy move on his part for sure.

3) CS did their job

Well, I think your 3) CS did their job will be determined by an investigation. Neither you, I nor Brihard determine that.

And, since a shooter did in fact manage to get a clear head shot at the former President while laying on top of a roof 150 yards away it is somewhat hard to argue that they "did their job". At the very least, somebody appears to have failed to do their job.

In terms of reaction time after the fact, yes, they appear to have been swift and efficient. With the notable exception of allowing him to stand momentarily exposed with his fist raised and head totally exposed - had there been a second shooter then that would have been a clear shot right there.

In terms of prevention, well, not so much.

Last edited:
The Associated Press has this report that provides some details about thee: alleged shoot. Plus reports that they found bomb making material in his vehicle. Still no details on possible motivation.

Well, I think your 3) CS did their job will be determined by an investigation. Neither you, I nor Brihard determine that.

And, since a shooter did in fact manage to get a clear head shot at the former President while laying on top of a roof 150 yards away it is somewhat hard to argue that they "did their job". At the very least, somebody appears to have failed to do their job.

In terms of reaction time after the fact, yes, they appear to have been swift and efficient. With the notable exception of allowing him to stand momentarily exposed with his fist raised and head totally exposed - had there been a second shooter then that would have been a clear shot right there.

In terms of prevention, well, not so much.
I guess that depends on the definition of “close”.

None of us know, or will share, what the radius around the principal would be for CS versus other assets. And as @brihard already said, they likely had to use other agencies for outer perimeter security - remember that the shooter was outside the event. I suspect that the inner perimeter security is already quite high and labour-intensive for an event like a rally.

So yeah, someone messed up. But I’m not confident that the “someone” was USSS CS.

Back