• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Attempted assassination of Donald Trump 13 July 2024

SO @QV asked me a question in PM, and since he was being genuine and we had a good interaction, I figured that some of my response was worth posting here.

It was a fairly small USSS detail, CAT and CS were augments from DC to the PPD, as well as some Agents and UD Officers from the local office. There a whole slew of issues from this event, but the USSS performance given the constraints was actually very good.

Re-holstering the pistol should be a natural smooth action acquired over 1000s of reps and should be second nature even under pressure, but maybe the holster position got jostled in the commotion altering it's position somewhat causing the fumble... who knows. Lots of things to dissect on this from any angle.

- I think we went through that in the main thread but holstering shouldn't be a priority - and I think the agent made the correct call when it didn't go as planned - the holster used for the detail isn't ideal for reholstering quickly without two hands to ensure the cover garment is cleared. I've shot with PPD, they shoot a lot, and train a lot - both live and sim. Not as much as CAT, or the other SOD folks - but well more than pretty much any groups out there outside the Tier 1 Assaulters.

One observation; I thought they stayed at the podium for quite a long time in the dog pile. Getting off the "x" as fast as possible is paramount in any ambush scenario like this... Not knowing where the effective fire was coming from, I'd envision immediately dragging 45 off stage, by his ankles if need be, and moving as fast as possible to his armored truck.

First goal is to secure the principle - they surrounded him quickly and ascertained he wasn't in need of immediate medical. CONUS drills are different that those in a less permissive environment - as often security in better on site than moving.
- due to the nature of the venue, CAT deployed to create a cordon - and ensure the principles vehicle was able to get to the scene - I suspect due to the size of the team the vehicles where not fully manned - and one field office agent was left to guard while the detail was deployed at the venue -- so drivers needed to head to the vehicles and bring the Limo up -- the other issue was every other involved entity was also converging - and I've gathered there was bit of a traffic jam - CS remained in position with the primary watching the target and the observer scanning around, and CAT overmatching the detail as they evac'd to the limo

However, I can only imagine certain celebrities have difficult personalities (I need my shoes!) and are probably resistant to the best intentions of the detail to some degree. But I don't know their TTPs or what, if any, other protective means are in place that dictate their actions ... so take this for what it's worth.

Trump is a showman - he knows audiences - but I don't think that really affected the decision of when to evacuate - that was all security issues to ensure that he wasn't being move to a more dangerous position - complex ambushes are a serious concern, as there are a lot of folks in the world that don't like the US, the Office of the President - and of course President Trump. According to most the USSS folks that I know who dealt with him, he was a fairly easily client - and while he said some pretty awful things, he was the best since the GWB days.

counterpoint bigger is better absorb more bullets
While true in and of itself as a point, the original poster of what you shared looks like they think the ONLY protection provided by the Secret Service is right-next-to-the-target protection. I know next to SFA about this stuff, but I'm learning there's a LOT of layers to protecting an individual, some of which don't need built-like-brick-shithouses people to ensure success.
also before this gets to crazy. I posted the above twitter post as an example of the nutty ideas out there not as my agreement with it
Understood - an interesting share on how some see this.

- I think we went through that in the main thread but holstering shouldn't be a priority - and I think the agent made the correct call when it didn't go as planned - the holster used for the detail isn't ideal for reholstering quickly without two hands to ensure the cover garment is cleared. I've shot with PPD, they shoot a lot, and train a lot - both live and sim. Not as much as CAT, or the other SOD folks - but well more than pretty much any groups out there outside the Tier 1 Assaulters.
Carrying firearms and other use-of-force implements, comms, etc. in plain clothes is a compromise that uniformed members wearing duty belts and load-bearing vests don't have to deal with.

Carrying firearms and other use-of-force implements, comms, etc. in plain clothes is a compromise that uniformed members wearing duty belts and load-bearing vests don't have to deal with.
Even a properly worn (i.e. keeper secured) duty belt holster can be knocked out of it's customary position in a scuffle or ground fight and make re-holstering difficult. In fact, I just taught that lesson to a recruit class from my agency last Friday. It's even worse with a thigh rig.

Even a properly worn (i.e. keeper secured) duty belt holster can be knocked out of it's customary position in a scuffle or ground fight and make re-holstering difficult. In fact, I just taught that lesson to a recruit class from my agency last Friday. It's even worse with a thigh rig.
Movie Reaction GIF by Arrow Video

Solution?

All the "experts" are looking to find a single point of failure. The reality is that this is multi factorial. The shooter was outside the cordon. He looked no different than other attendees. The event was in an open carry state. There were many different LE agencies, likely with overlapping responsibilities. Inter agency cooperation and coordination was likely not as robust as it should have been. I could go on. Just my back of the envelope assessment.

"I don't care what sex a firefighter is, as long as they can carry a 200 pound mayor out of a burning building"

(Ed Koch, former mayor of New York during controversy about FDNY hiring female firefighters)
TBF as long as they can drag me to cover (or clip an extraction line to me and pull me — after returning fire effectively, that’s all I really care about.

I’ve been beaten up by some pretty bad ass women - and learned a lot from that.

All the "experts" are looking to find a single point of failure.
That’s often the case in a lot of situations because 1) many experts are expert in only one part of often complex systems, which can affect the glasses they wear looking at any problem, and 2) non-expert reporters, even those wanting to do a good job, have an easier time doing a fast story that focuses on a single easy-to-grasp “this is the magic bullet.”

That’s often the case in a lot of situations because 1) many experts are expert in only one part of often complex systems, which can affect the glasses they wear looking at any problem, and 2) non-expert reporters, even those wanting to do a good job, have an easier time doing a fast story that focuses on a single easy-to-grasp “this is the magic bullet.”
110%
Even experts on that specific situation aren’t likely to have all the information right away, or if they do, aren’t authorized to discuss it publicly.

More and more will come out.

The most important part of this, is that lesson learned are adopted so this sort of tragedy doesn’t occur again with even worse results.

Back