• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

arm patch for reservist.

As one of the soldiers who was wearing flags, I had no problems wearing one. This wasn't to identify us as reservists, it was a unit identifier, and saved us some trouble.

Many were the times when I had my Blue and Grey flash on, and someone would yell "Hey Signaller, get over here" so that I could take a look at their radio.

also, when you had multiple groups from different formations at the showers, and you were waiting for the bus or ML, in the dark, it was nice to know that as long as you were with a bunch of people wearing the same flash as you, you wouldn't be the only one lost.

BTW, a velcro tab won't keep this guy from Tim's ;D

Sig_Des said:
Many were the times when I had my Blue and Grey flash on, and someone would yell "Hey Signaller, get over here" so that I could take a look at their radio.

In other words, it worked.  Camouflage concerns aside, that was the reason "we" started wearing battalion badges in 1916.  Back then a signaller wore a blue and white armlet, for the same reason you just describe.  The more things change...

Michael Dorosh said:
In other words, it worked.  Camouflage concerns aside, that was the reason "we" started wearing battalion badges in 1916.  Back then a signaller wore a blue and white armlet, for the same reason you just describe.  The more things change...

Exactly. Mind you, on patrols (Yes, I went out on a couple, Sh0rtbUs, I don't spend ALL my time in the pod), the flashes came off for us, but other then that, I didn't mind having the identifier.

More pictures:
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lfca/ExstalwartGuardian/flash/index.htm
Click on "Cool Pics" (top right).

No camouflage concerns here: while I still had one, it was 31 LIB's black on green (okay, so the green was a bit bright...).
Also, I could just take off the patch and no one would know I'm a reservist (rank slip on says "RCR"). Good for when I was up top. ;D

Late post on this thread, but I can tell you we don't use these on ARCON (Area Concentration) here in LFAA.  We usually form an ATBG (Area Trng Bde Group) formed with troops from our 2 CBGs.  BUT...I bet if they haven't heard about it..and then they did (the brass down here) they would like the idea.  Inter-unit rivalries here are rampant like every other Area I suspect...I remember the old ARCON smokers...well that's not a topic for here now is it...

But..we can tell each other apart down this way by accents...    ;)  Ask someone to talk an' ya can tell what part of the Maritimes they're from right??  (insert Prince County PEI slang here)

Seems to have it's pro's and con's...I like the idea of "easy identification" but not "easy identification as a Reserve"...but that's just me...I am from PEI...my opinion doesn't count 'cause of my grade 6 edu-cation...

;D

Back