• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Are you retired and living outside Canada fulltime? ie not a resident of Canada

Anny

Inactive
Reaction score
:alone:

I have done a lot of reading and have learned a lot on this but there's still a few questions I have.

Has anyone here given up residency (while retaining citizenship) in Canada to retire outside Canada?  I'm looking to speak with others about how they handle pension and taxes in their home country (if you give up residency in Canada you would not pay tax on your pension FYI for those who may not know).

Really looking to speak with people who are no longer residents of Canada, retired outside the country and receiving a Canadian Military pension, people who have been there, done that and are in the know.

If anyone is interested I'd really appreciate if you wouldn't mind answering a few questions via pm's please!

You could ask this guy. I don't think he's a member here though. ;)  http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/disgraced-former-general-daniel-menard-released-from-afghan-jail-1.1693702

You would need to cut all ties with Canada in order to be a true "non-resident".  No property, bank accounts, credit cards, etc.  Where would your pension be deposited?  If it goes into a Canadian account, you are still a taxpayer in the eyes of CRA.

If you receive a pension, you are a tax payer, regardless of where or what you do.  They will not give it to you without the withdraw of taxes.

Lightguns said:
If you receive a pension, you are a tax payer, regardless of where or what you do.  They will not give it to you without the withdraw of taxes.

True, but we have tax treaties with many countries where the residents don't pay income tax, or pay a substantially lower percentage than we do. Bermuda, Barbado, BVI all 0%.

ModlrMike said:
True, but we have tax treaties with many countries where the residents don't pay income tax, or pay a substantially lower percentage than we do. Bermuda, Barbado, BVI all 0%.

This is the case with what we're looking at.  My bad for saying if you give up residency in Canada you would not pay tax on your pension, that isn't true in all cases, I should have added 'in some instances', sorry about that.

I made this post in hopes of speaking with someone who is actually collecting their Forces pension and does not reside in Canada.  I'm assuming the replies so far are from people who either are not collecting their pension or live in Canada.  If that's not the case and you are collecting a Forces pension and living outside Canada, please pm me, I'd love to ask you a few questions if you don't mind.

Sent you a PM with someone to contact.

recceguy said:
You could ask this guy. I don't think he's a member here though. ;)  http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/disgraced-former-general-daniel-menard-released-from-afghan-jail-1.1693702

Interesting, I was thinking the same thing......

I can't provide any info, but I would ask that you please keep updating here what you have learned.

Thanks.

Journeyman said:
I can't provide any info, but I would ask that you please keep updating here what you have learned.

Thanks.

As would I, St Lucia looks better every single day.

Journeyman said:

Thanks.

Same here.  Anywhere warm is looking good lately....  :cold:

Just be fore warned, dealing with CRA and the whole resident/non-resident living outside of Canada is a MAJOR pain in the ***. 

Long story short, I submitted the paperwork to have them determine my status, basically the moment I flew out to work in the sandbox.  2 months later, they send a reply saying I am a deemed resident.  File my taxes, and I expect a rather large refund, get the notice of assesment, saying as a "non-resident" blah blah can't claim these credits etc. you owe us money.  I was like WTF?!?!  Call them up, and they were like well based on this....Me: you guys are the ones who said I am a resident Them:Oh...crap your right we did, well it will take a month to investigate this and fix it.  Me: WTF?!?!?!?

FOUR MONTHS LATER and after extracting a line managers direct phone number, they fixed their mistake.

Needless to say this year I am in no hurry to file.

Edit to add

The CRA's international tax services people, have no direct line, and numbers that are available, well those people will refuse to put you in touch with the international office.

I worked out of country in 97. I filed my taxes for that year, all OK, Not 4 years later they say I f'd up I owe them $4000 more. Took 6 months but was able to show them no I did not f'k up but using your own rules you owe me $1500. the CRA says yes your right but until you pay us the $4000 we cant pay you the $1500. WTF????? the CRA system will not allow them to pay out if money is owing and the only way to bring a amount to $0 is to pay it.
so for 2 years as I fought this the $4000 ran up intrest at 10-16% intrest compounded daily and the $1500 stayed at $1500. to fix it I had to put $5500 into RRSPs to to get my $1500 and clear the mess up.

Back