• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Are you aware of QR

Status
Not open for further replies.

army

Inactive
Reaction score
Are you aware of QRampO Volume 1 Article 19.36?

Posted by Info from Canada on April 18, 1999 at 01:50:48:

I just saw the following in the new issue of the Canadian Forces Personnel Newsletter Special Issue - March 1999. I thought I‘d post it for your information, interest or comment.

From the Question Corner, Page 8:
-------------
Q - Are there any regulations that state what we as military members can discuss on the Internet / chat rooms?

A - While there are no specific regulations that deal with what can be discussed on the Internet, there are regulations dealing with the disclosure of information and opinions. Among other prohibitions, article 19.36 of Queen‘s Regulations and Orders QRO Volume 1 prohibits members, unless they have permission of the Chief of Defence Staff CDS or an authority designated by the CDS, from publishing military information or their views and opinions on military subjects to unauthorized persons.

Publish is defined as to "make generally known, make known to a third party". Accordingly, the legal view is that the use of the Internet to express a member‘s opinion on a military matter would amount to publishing and would fall under Article 19.36.

As well, Article 19.14 of QRO prohibits members from making remarks or comments that tend to bring a superior into contempt or that if seen by any member of the public, might reflect discredit on the Canadian Forces CF.
-----------------

In my opinion, it would be worthwhile to set up a forum similar to this internal to the CF, as I think this is a good way to hear the concerns our service people have, as well as hearing opinions on issues and personalities. I for one find it interesting and food for thought when forming my own opinions and views.

Unfortunately, if we created an internal forum, we would lose out on some of the interesting views of former members.

On the other hand, a lot of the sophomoric debate would dissapear also. I personally would rather leave it to the children to conclude their Regular / Reserve debates on their own.

One dangerous aspect of this page would be removed if it wasn‘t open to the world. People tend to believe what they see "in print" without checking the credibility of the source or verifying the facts. We would be rid of those who lie to try and shape opinion. I have witnessed at least a few examples of people with a strong presence on this page posting their false stories or "facts" which are never verified and are believed simply because the person is a "regular". This type of person would dissapear.

More food for thought.

Re: Are you aware of QRampO Volume 1 Article 19.36?

Posted by Another Pte from Canada on April 18, 1999 at 23:02:42:

In Reply to: Are you aware of QRO Volume 1 Article 19.36? posted by Info on April 18, 1999 at 01:50:48:

Sounds to me like BIG BROTHER is watching!!!

Posted by Mark Bossi M.A. Bossi, Esquire from Toronto Ontario Canada on April 19, 1999 at 15:16:31:

In Reply to: Are you aware of QRO Volume 1 Article 19.36? posted by Info on April 18, 1999 at 01:50:48:

Actually, I just became aware of a DAOD regarding the Internet - DAOD 6001, dated 31 March 1999:

http://www.dnd.ca/admfincs/subjects/daod/6001/1_e.asp

Hope this sheds some further light on this subject.

Dileas.

DAOD 6001

Posted by Jules Deschenes from Canada on April 19, 1999 at 19:17:11:

In Reply to: Re: Are you aware of QRO Volume 1 Article 19.36? posted by Another Pte on April 18, 1999 at 23:02:42:

It is interesting to note that our soldiers fought for our rights and freedoms and now they can‘t give an opinion on a public forum. I can understand censorship in time of conflict and regs concerning devulging info which should not be but, if the leadership is that thin skinned that they can‘t withstand crticism and grousing, then perhaps they shouldn‘t be leaders. While some of the bitching is simply bitching another parts states there‘s a problem and if these "leaders" can‘t separate the wheat from the chaff then perhaps it‘s time for someone who can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back