• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

I would have preferred a 57/76mm forward and the 25mm covering aft, with hardpoints for future weapon systems and better combat suite so it has better self defense. But otherwise I am ecstatic about these vessels and their capabilities.

How about three seacans full of missiles back aft?

Perhaps it is time to switch warship drinking water systems to Pex. Just saying: No lead problems ... ever!
Or just specify only parts meant for potable water are used on the potable water system? The valves in question had that clearly in their class certificate and TDP that it's not meant for potable water because the alloy contains lead.

Or just specify only parts meant for potable water are used on the potable water system? The valves in question had that clearly in their class certificate and TDP that it's not meant for potable water because the alloy contains lead.

You stop it.

;)

Also, I don't think AOPs is the actual thing people are criticizing. I think it has more to do with the builder.

You stop it.

;)

Also, I don't think AOPs is the actual thing people are criticizing. I think it has more to do with the builder.
Don't worry, the builder had it approved by the class society, so must be perfect!

Unfortunately the project technical staff don't get support for pushing back against stupid things that may technically meet the letter of the requirement even if it doesn't actually work, and there are already ECs in development for things that are still being built to an unacceptable standard.

So we're going to be paying Irving to install things knowing it will have to be removed to put in somethng that actually works, because they don't want to pay for an engineering change, and just push it to AJISS to fix in service.

It's strange how much weight the LR stamp carries, even if they have no relevant SME when they approved something and our actual SMEs have all kinds of valid technical reasons why it's not up to par.

Naming ceremony not commissioning. The ship will now go through tiered readiness including RCN trials and IMSRT.
We've already done the naming ceremony (previously known as the "Christening") this is the handover of the ship to the RCN.

We've already done the naming ceremony (previously known as the "Christening") this is the handover of the ship to the RCN.
Got ya, usually when they do the naming they show the ships badge at the same time, hard to keep keep track of the changes. Commissioning is still to be done.

Got ya, usually when they do the naming they show the ships badge at the same time, hard to keep keep track of the changes. Commissioning is still to be done.
There was issues with the Heraldry Office that delayed the announcement of the ships badge.

Then we are back to my original question. Don't know about today, but it used to be that the RCN took over the ship from the builders (Handover) after the builder's trials. From her state in the picture, I can't believe she has gone through those yet- unless the picture they used is not a contemporary one.

Then we are back to my original question. Don't know about today, but it used to be that the RCN took over the ship from the builders (Handover) after the builder's trials. From her state in the picture, I can't believe she has gone through those yet- unless the picture they used is not a contemporary one.
Don't think that's a recent photo, that is probably before builders trials.

As a retired Army guy who has never been on a real ship and only seen pictures of ships, I'm surprise to see rust already on a brand new ship that is on sea trials - I know that ships rusts because of the salt water, but is this normal?

As a retired Army guy who has never been on a real ship and only seen pictures of ships, I'm surprise to see rust already on a brand new ship that is on sea trials - I know that ships rusts because of the salt water, but is this normal?
Yes it is, most of what your seeing is rust discharge from the pipes. A good scrub will usually get that right off.

Back