• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

As far as I can tell, it always starts from Halifax and involves almost exclusively CFB Halifax homeported ships.
None of the AOPs have been moved to the west coast yet, but once the jetty etc is ready some are supposed to shift over. I can't remember if it was a 50/50 split or not but they are big ass ships.

Question - will Operation Nanook ever start from the West Coast or does it always originate from HAL?
Never started on the West Coast although we have had several deployments of Kingston Class on the West Coast to the western Arctic. Its alot easier for the EC ships to deploy as the distance generally is shorter and there is more support available. When the two AOPV get sent to the WC (Max Bernays and Hampton Gray) then you'll more than likely see them see them deploy as well and meet up with the EC ships.

None of the AOPs have been moved to the west coast yet, but once the jetty etc is ready some are supposed to shift over. I can't remember if it was a 50/50 split or not but they are big ass ships.
4 on the East Coast and 2 on the West I’d what I’ve been led to believe.
If we owned Alaska it’d be a whole different ball game.

Thanks, I thought it was something like that, which makes sense when you look at the distance to the NW passage from the East coast vs West, and also areas like the St. Laurent etc that get regular ice.

That will be great for morale though, for a few crews to change homeport to somewhere massively more expensive. Hopefully they do acceptance trials with people on TD instead of two cost moves.

Thanks, I thought it was something like that, which makes sense when you look at the distance to the NW passage from the East coast vs West, and also areas like the St. Laurent etc that get regular ice.

That will be great for morale though, for a few crews to change homeport to somewhere massively more expensive. Hopefully they do acceptance trials with people on TD instead of two cost moves.
Max Bernays has mostly EC crew to take it through trials and acceptance. It will then be turned over to the WC crew. No EC crew will change home port divisions.

We should've made our move when they were distracted on Jan 6... :cautious:

But that's absolutely right. Going halfway up the ring of fire to access the Bering Strait (through Aleutians) is a long damn trek and you're not even close to Canadian arctic waters yet.

Max Bernays has mostly EC crew to take it through trials and acceptance. It will then be turned over to the WC crew. No EC crew will change home port divisions.
How is that going to work for ship famil and OJT then? At some point the WC crew will need to learn all that, and they don't have enough bunks to double up on the crew (or people on the WC to create new crews).

How is that going to work for ship famil and OJT then? At some point the WC crew will need to learn all that, and they don't have enough bunks to double up on the crew (or people on the WC to create new crews).
I suspect they'll send a West Coast crew to the East to train and sail them around. It wouldn't be the first time the RCN did that.

There are some WC people onboard that are gaining that knowledge. I believe when the ship goes west she'll have most of her WC crew. I think its a matter of TD cost as the actual trials program was long and lack of crew. I assume they are relying heavily on DL to get the famile on the systems. When the ships goes West STA (P) will be putting the ship through its paces as they regularly come east for programs on AOPS. The big problem right now is lack of qualified MARTECHS for watchkeeping, I almost got grabbed for HDW last week as their mechanical manager but I had block leave booked. The replacement has zero experience with the class.

There are some WC people onboard that are gaining that knowledge. I believe when the ship goes west she'll have most of her WC crew. I think its a matter of TD cost as the actual trials program was long and lack of crew. I assume they are relying heavily on DL to get the famile on the systems. When the ships goes West STA (P) will be putting the ship through its paces as they regularly come east for programs on AOPS. The big problem right now is lack of qualified MARTECHS for watchkeeping, I almost got grabbed for HDW last week as their mechanical manager but I had block leave booked. The replacement has zero experience with the class.
You think after the shortfalls we've had with a decade or so of DL and virtual training when it encounters real life they would have thought about that.

Anyone else ever talk about something, and realize it sounds an awful lot like the background on a BOI? I wonder how many disasters we avoid with blind luck?

You think after the shortfalls we've had with a decade or so of DL and virtual training when it encounters real life they would have thought about that.

Anyone else ever talk about something, and realize it sounds an awful lot like the background on a BOI? I wonder how many disasters we avoid with blind luck?
I suspect the idea of "hands-on" has crashed directly into "time at home", and "time at home" won.

You can have the greatest in-person training in the world, but if nobody will stay in to take it, the training doesn't matter.

In regards to the KIN Class several ships now have ETs as their Chief Engineers, so they do the Chief Eng and ET job. The mechanical shortfall is filled with a PO2 who looks after mechanical matters and is the DCO/DC Chief. Problem is the PO2 mechanical manager knows zero about DC for the ship and had zero knowledge of the plant. They literally got parachuted in and deployed. On a larger platform with a EO and a larger dept to backstop you can get away with it. No so much for a KIN Class. I took it upon myself to send them all my "lessons" learned that I gained over the years on these missions but there's plenty of risk here. The Chief Eng gets a RQPO1 course which is in my opinion wholly unsuitable to carry out that position.

Just talking to their former coxn, the crew mix is 60% WC and 40% EC. When the ship goes to the WC the EC members will come back, some will stay for a bit longer to help with duty watches and training until they can get more personnel qualified.

2 ships on the West Coast. Unsure if they will do NANOOK or a related exercise with the USCG in Alaska Yukon regions. West Coast is gonna be hard up crewing the JSS. That's honestly devouring the majority of the "new ship arriving" effort right now.

I can't remember the exact size of the JSS MSE Dept that's being planned for right now, but I want to say it was 50+? Seemed entirely unrealistic given the state of that trade at the moment.

Never started on the West Coast although we have had several deployments of Kingston Class on the West Coast to the western Arctic. Its alot easier for the EC ships to deploy as the distance generally is shorter and there is more support available. When the two AOPV get sent to the WC (Max Bernays and Hampton Gray) then you'll more than likely see them see them deploy as well and meet up with the EC ships.
As far as I am aware most of the Westcoast CCG ships turn around in Peel Sound/Resolute. Although we did meet up with some East Coast ships in Cambridge Bay.

I can't remember the exact size of the JSS MSE Dept that's being planned for right now, but I want to say it was 50+? Seemed entirely unrealistic given the state of that trade at the moment.
We don't choose crew based on the state of the trade. The crew numbers come from how many people are needed to do the jobs required onboard. AORs need lots of MSE and lots of Bosn's. Just the way those ships work. On the plus side, there is going to be a lot of space to train new MSE on that ship. Plenty of work to be done.

We don't choose crew based on the state of the trade. The crew numbers come from how many people are needed to do the jobs required onboard. AORs need lots of MSE and lots of Bosn's. Just the way those ships work. On the plus side, there is going to be a lot of space to train new MSE on that ship. Plenty of work to be done.

They also had very large Log Depts. It was really CSE and Combat that were smaller than CPF/Steamers/Caddys ect ect.

Back