• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

If anyone is interested in seeing Rolette's badge, it's here:

Wonder how many more defects we accepted, on top of the hundreds they come with as a baseline for 4 months early delivery?

I guess it's down from 4000 or so, so progress I guess.

Wonder how many more defects we accepted, on top of the hundreds they come with as a baseline for 4 months early delivery?

I guess it's down from 4000 or so, so progress I guess.
As much as I think the AOPVs are actually a great platform for the RCN, I still can't fathom why they haven't fixed any of the known issues with them.

We know exactly why HDW is not able to fly helos, why is Robert Hampton Grey going to have the same issues nearly 10 years later?

As much as I think the AOPVs are actually a great platform for the RCN, I still can't fathom why they haven't fixed any of the known issues with them.

We know exactly why HDW is not able to fly helos, why is Robert Hampton Grey going to have the same issues nearly 10 years later?
I don't get it either; the design effort would be a one time thing, then you could get the shipyard to fix it on the last few ships, with the info you need to do it on service on the first few ships. Instead we have to now fix the same defect on all six ships (after paying ISI to install things we don't want on the last few ships).

Ah.

Was not aware.

Both or just one?
Not sure here specifically, just with some inner in the past and joked with one about the new mustache (which he didn’t think was funny…he was doing the #peakNWO thing).

Edit to add: apologies for the derail. I’ll stop with the accoutrementarily-orientated tangentialization.

Very good friend of mine works in RCN inspections of the new ships. There were waaaay more defects on HDW then the current ships. Things like hatches that were put on backwards and wouldn't open fully/safely. He's not happy with the current rate of fix but when he looks at the project overall he can point to lots of improvements that were implemented and confidently state the newer AOPS are better then the older ones by a significant margin.

At some point I expect the RCN told Irving that Air Operations is going to be an internal to the navy fix. It happens in every build. As it would require a fairly major redesign to properly be able to embark a Cyclone. The current flight deck operations situation is likely not an Irving mistake, its a PMO AOPS design/requirements mistake and paying to fix the design is not something that's in the budget.

This lesson was internalized and fixed for the JSS project where air operations were integrated from day one and the Airforce had an MPH pilot attached to the project. JSS will be able to land and launch organic helo's early on in the ships life.

I suspect the same approach is taken with CSC's.

AOPS was a massive learning experience for everyone. PMO AOPS needs to take some of the blame for how the ships currently are.

Now on those 4000 defects that have been identified? That's on Irving and the RCN (who are willing to accept the ship with the defects).

Very good friend of mine works in RCN inspections of the new ships. There were waaaay more defects on HDW then the current ships. Things like hatches that were put on backwards and wouldn't open fully/safely. He's not happy with the current rate of fix but when he looks at the project overall he can point to lots of improvements that were implemented and confidently state the newer AOPS are better then the older ones by a significant margin.

At some point I expect the RCN told Irving that Air Operations is going to be an internal to the navy fix. It happens in every build. As it would require a fairly major redesign to properly be able to embark a Cyclone. The current flight deck operations situation is likely not an Irving mistake, its a PMO AOPS design/requirements mistake and paying to fix the design is not something that's in the budget.

This lesson was internalized and fixed for the JSS project where air operations were integrated from day one and the Airforce had an MPH pilot attached to the project. JSS will be able to land and launch organic helo's early on in the ships life.

I suspect the same approach is taken with CSC's.

AOPS was a massive learning experience for everyone. PMO AOPS needs to take some of the blame for how the ships currently are.

Now on those 4000 defects that have been identified? That's on Irving and the RCN (who are willing to accept the ship with the defects).
Sure, but they didn't actually stop installing things we know aren't fit for purpose (like the aft TAU which is 50' too short), which could have least got us an install credit and instead just turned over the TAU uninstalled to use as a spare for the fwd one. So now instead of uninstalling 2 and installing 6 different ones we now have to uninstall all 6.

Some of the things are likely a requirement mistake, but again, no point installing lighting that doesn't work with NVGs and other helo specific equipment we'll just have to remove later.

Lots of other things that just 'went away' from being defects because LR said 'it now is fine'. Almost like ISI put pressure on the London office to overrule the local surveyors looking at stupid things that don't meet code.

Back