• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Anybody else feel we got ripped off on MHP deal?

I don't think the S-92 is a bad deal, Sikorsky makes a nice machine and I think the boys will be very happy with it.

Some guys keep metioning the JSS helicopter...there is no such thing as a "JSS helicopter".  There are helicopters that can can be embarked/disembarked as well operate from the JSS.  Some helos will be the Cyclone and some will not.  The Cyclone should be reasonably expected to operated fully from JSS, i.e. hauled down if so equipped, stored in hangars, etc...anything the SK does now on the AORs.  Other helso will be expected to land-on and depart under certain conditions, taking into account a variety of factors.  Some Canadian "army" pilots have in the past, and can now operate from ships under certain conditions.  They would use the same techniques that they use operating to planes, trains, 18-wheelers, etc... we don't rock back and forth trying to match the motion of a heaving deck, although more likely we'd conduct a spies-rig extract or insert.  The US Army and Navy conducted a trial of all the army's in-service helos operating from a range of US Navy ships from frigates and destroyers up to CVNs.  The Joint Shipboard Helicopter Integration Process (JSHIP) trialled all the combinations of ships and helos and how to best help them operate on board when (not if) they did.  The trials included OH-58/KW, UH-60, C/MH-47, A/MH-6J, etc...

Intersetingly, the pic shown earlier of the Twin and SK shows CH135144, one of VU-32's Twins that made it's way to 450 Sqn that we flew with the Horseymen and the lads.  144 was the Twin that some of us flew off a CG icebreaker as a trial in the early 90's to work out some TTPs on operating to vessels at anchor...and we trialled a bit of "underway" stuff as well.  The teetering head of the Twin made  landing not too bad (on a thick knotted rope/mat thing.) 

p.s.  The Griffy can fold its blades but it's not pretty...needs a premium blade folding kit and the locking pins weren't made to be used repetatively...

Cheers,
Duey

I know Haze Gray and Sandy don't like deep linking, but if you got wwww.hazegray.org, then go to the Canadian Navy page and scroll down to the Cyclone pics, ... it could be the angle of the shots, but the machine seems to sit a little low for a safe rear ramp to be installed anyway.

Inch said:
I have my doubts you'd be slinging 10,000 lbs, I'd say 6000-8000lbs would be more realistic.  

My bad, I just looked up the stats on Sikorsky's website and the H92 will sling 10,000 lbs. I underestimated a bit.  :-[

Is it still the case that all of these machines will have the same mission kits, or has the thinking changed on this?

whiskey601 said:
Is it still the case that all of these machines will have the same mission kits, or has the thinking changed on this?

The contract has been written for 28 aircraft with the same mission kit as originally specified (focussed largely on ASW and ASuW). So, to answer your question directly, no the thinking has not changed. And I think it unlikely to change now that the contract has been let. We will have to get the aircraft and iterate the mission suite from there.

SeaKingTacco said:
Where the Sea King is running into serious issues is with an antique avionics suite (I'm thinking primarily of the ADF and Gyro heading and Reference System (GHARS)) , an electrical system that provides only "dirty power" that modern avionics do not like, sensors that are all past their prime, and a lot of older parts that require a lot of maintenance hours just to monitor because they are getting old. I like the old gal, but she is not up to the rigours of modern, link-driven, sensor-to-shooter warfare.  She is a classic that belongs to another time.

To any techs- if I'm talking out of my hat on the maintenance stuff- feel free to correct me!

Not far off there SeaKingTacco.   I spent 6 years maintaining them and even made a few cross-countries, so I'm a firm believer it is one of the best helos ever built.   Sturdy airframe?  You betcha.  Problematic avionics?   Oh yeah, but I've always thought that we could fly this thing for 30 more years with a new mission suite.   And don't forget it has been modified so many times that it can no longer lift a full weapons load or even a really big AESOP.   Otherwise a grand 'ol gal, wouldn't you say?.  As far as the interface with the CPF goes, the S-92 is nearly the same size as the Sea Thing, so hangar and deck mods should be minimal.

Cheers,

X-Rigger

Back