• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Anti-War Demonstrations - Halifax

• Thread starter Thread starter jmackenzie_15
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Infantry_wannabe said:
I'm taking classes at a College in the Vancouver area and I constantly see posters saying things like "Stop Imperialism at Home and Abroad!"

I can only imagine how much nonsense these college professors spread during the course of a teaching career. 

To be fair to professors they likely aren't the ones hanging the posters; most unis/colleges have a few "activists" running around.

Guess, if your profile is accurate, then your salary is paid by the war machine.......hmmmm, do you have a mirror anywhere in your house?

Fractux, with regards to your question...
Right now, in Afghanistan, a concern was voiced as to how much autonomy Canadian troops have in making recommendations and decisions with regard to the areas in which they operate. Some individuals commented on the radio show that all international troops in Afghanistan are being seen as all flying under an American flag.

My question is if anyone can explain [or point to resources about] the current top-level command hierarchy that our troops are working under and if anyone is aware of how much input we have in helping move Afghanistan forward? Are reconstruction plans and recommendations that the Canadian military proposed being examined? Basically, how much say do our forces currently have?

I realise that our presence is part of a joint NATO effort, but how much say do we have? Is it purely a numbers question (the more troops you have, the more we can have)?

My reason for asking is because I would like to know if we have a fair share in voicing our opinion about how our forces will be used in Afghanistan.

Cheers!

The Canadian Task Force currently operates under Coalition Force Command - Afghanistan (CFC-A), which is a coalition of several NATO and non-NATO nations taking on the task of securing and assisting development of the more volatile East and Southern Regions of the Afghanistan theatre of operations.  NATO-ISAF is responsible for the other three Regions...well, two regions, West and North and a multi-national brigade in Kabul.  Thus ISAF and CFC-A are complementary organizations, large numbers of NATO nations in each structure, but both also with non-NATO forces as well.  In late fall, there are plans for CFC-A forces to fall under command of ISAF, once NATO completes so-called "Phase 3 expansion" to put in place the capability to command all non-Afghan military forces in Afghanistan.  Regarding CFC-A, Canadian BGen Fraser is the Commander of CFC-A Regional Command (South) at this very moment.  We also have a Canadian BGen in the headquarters command of Combined Joint Task Force 75 (CJTF-76), the operational-level command in-between the tactical-level RC(South) and the National-level CFC-A.  We also have a team of Strategic Advisers embedded with the Afghan Government directly assisting reconstruction and National Development efforts.  The effects of these various commands and groupings is that Canada has an especially influential effect on operations in Afghanistan, especially when considered in the context of working with our diplomatic and development Gov't of Canada partners also in Afghanistan.  The Canadian provincial reconstruction team (PRT) in Khandahar works very closely with the Khandahari authorities and, through the links upwards through RC(South) to other coalition and Canadian assets, ensures that reconstructive efforts are as relevant to the people of Khandahar Province as possible.  Is it a perfect system?  No, but it certainly is one of the better working efforts that I've seen undertaken.

For the record, I have absolutely no issue with protest...it is a democratic right that I have served my country to protect, as did both of my grandfathers (RIP :salute:) in WWII.  What would go a long way in my books would be to see the protesters show a little more understanding of the issues than mere  regurgitation of anti-American boilerplate text pulled of a website.  It makes one wonder if they protest only the "safe" targets (Western countries) rather than being more focused on the cause vice symptoms of strife in the world.

I'm perhaps deluding myself into thinking that a reasonable number of these protesters might at least consider what those of us try to pass on from our experiences serving around the world.  I've seen things first hand in Afghanistan, and contributed directly to making it a better place for Afghans to live.  I try to pass on to those willing to listen my personal thoughts and views on the issue.  My words are free, I expect anyone listening to exercise their right to agree or disagree with them.  That's fine.  I sleep soundly every night knowing I made a difference...not just talking about why someone should make a difference.

Cheers,
Duey

The earlier poster was right about RCMP training Iraqi police http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/news/n_0401_e.htm. The idea that Canadian military personnel on exchange have served with the US in Iraq isn't new either. The PM even confirmed it recently saying "There have been a small number of Canadian military personnel embedded in American and allied units. That's been the case since the beginning of the war. Nothing has changed on that front." That's from a story by the dreaded CBC
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/03/23/canadian_role060323.html (scroll down to part about the PM)
but this has been common knowledge since the Iraq war started.

Having said that, CANADA IS NOT AT WAR IN IRAQ. The Canadian government decided not to significantly participate in the war on Iraq. But international politics is a complicated thing. The US is our most important ally even if they do stupid things. To stop cooperating with their military (such as the example of the exchanges) would be a major blow to our alliances and to our national defence. RCMP officers training Iraqi police sounds like a good idea to me. We are not getting involved directly by sending troops to Iraq but are still trying to help Iraqis create a stable society. As for the Canadian companies involved in supplying the US military, what is the alternative? Banning all Canadian defence manufacturers from trading with the US? That sounds realistic, given our national interests.  ::)

The war in Iraq was in my opinion a large mistake mixed with a touch of deliberate deception. I think 9/11 and the real fight against Al-Qaeda was used by the Bush administration to go into Iraq for wider strategic and economic reasons. However right some of these reasons might or might not have been, I think the conclusion is that the invasion should never have happened. There is still the humanitarian reason, but considering all the deaths which have resulted and the ongoing hopeless situation, I don't think it was worth it. I really hope that I turn out to be wrong about that...but I doubt it. To me, no WMD's=Massive Mistake.

As much as the anti-war protesters make me instinctively sick, I think it is important to have people who are willing to question what they are told. Obviously, if given a lawful command, that is not the job of the military (to protest against what they are told) but in a democracy it is vital for citizens. I just wish the protesters would think a little more clearly. As I implied in an earlier post, Iraq does not equal Afghanistan, the Oka crisis, the need to become a granola-eating, vegetable juice drinking vegan, or whatever other pet cause happens to be fashionable.

As much as I disagree with them, I do agree they have a right to protest. I am also free to express my own opinion: that the vegan anti-Afghanistan types are full of s---, that Bush is full of s---, and that we should support the troops in Afghanistan until hell freezes over if necessary. But then that's just my opinion.

Infantry-W

Though I don't agree with some of the points in your post = I appreciate your speaking your mind.

Looking back, I think the Bush administration did the right thing by invading Iraq. It will draw in terrorist-combatants for years to come and is an excellent staging area into other hot spots. The entire region was a terrorist accident waiting to happen. The intervention, at least now, is a controlled accident where the American driver is still in control of the military veh. 

Most of the world is standing by watching and expecting the US to fail in Iraq. More than ever, I support the American position in Iraq. I also think president Bush has done a remarkable job. I also support small scale raids and other military operations into Iran, even if it's in violation of applicable laws, if it means Iran will have no nuclear capability.

Regards.

Protesters have the right to protest what they feel is wrongful intervention in the Middle East. Does that mean they should do protests instead of work or looking after the family? I for one don't participate in protests because they tend to be a waste of time, plus it looks bad from my point of view.

bbbb said:
Protesters have the right to protest what they feel is wrongful intervention in the Middle East. Does that mean they should do protests instead of work or looking after the family? I for one don't participate in protests because they tend to be a waste of time, plus it looks bad from my point of view.

Now there is a reason not to exercise my constitutional rights... because it looks bad. ::)

I think we always need to realize that there will be people in the left wing peace movement who will refuse to get the story straight for reasons of their own agenda.
When I lived in Vancouver in the early to late eighties I went to a church where the pastor was involved in the peace movement...those were the days they got thousands of people out for the the annual peace march.
He always used to pray for people in Nicaragua and Central America and was involved in groups that supported the movements down there that were anti-contra. I used to challenge him to think about the invasion of Afghanistan by the Soviet Union and wasn't that worthy of the same kind of effort. He never had a good answer for me and so tipped his hand that what it was really about was the "leftist agenda."

I wonder how he feels now that we are in Afghanistan?? (I could hazard a guess)

I support the protestors right to moan and groan about everything military when we could proably be spending more money on welfare  ::)
However I draw the line when the interfere with other people's rights. Such as physical blocking the military recruiting efforts at Universities (such as guelph last November).  Any person who dares support the military or oh my, Steve Harper (he  is the devil don't you know?)  ::) Whatever.

What about the protest to stop the Nigerian woman from being excuted several years ago because she was pregnant and unwed (Sharia law)?

Where was the protest to stop the bloody killings in Rwanda? Or the protest of the UN to not get a pair and truly intervene?

Where is the protest for every dictator or murderous leader who kills innocent people?

Oh no, its much easier to have sit ins, protest proffessional military efforts and try to re-live the '60s here in a safe and secure enviroment (That so many around the world just do not have).

Well maybe some day they will understand that it takes force and sometimes lethal force to free the oppressed.......

After putting the above post up, i just learned of the Patricia casualty (Robert Costall) in A-stan.  I don't want to hear a peep from some spoiled bloody left wing crack pot today  >:(

as with everything else...I try to stay on the trace and make it to the objective...they are obstacles, and obstacles can be skirted, cleared, and then ya carry on...

If Danny Dope-Smoker and Patty Peace-lover want to protest...let them.

Just stay off my door step, and run if you start to burn the flag. 

My advice to them is...if Afghanistan is such a WONDERFUL place to live...I will pay for their one-way plane ticket.  Don't forget to write now!

Guess said:
1st repy, you missed some of the conversation.  Catch up.

Piper - freedom of speech and the right to protest are excellent things to defend and protect.  However, if that is what is being defended, then why is it not being respected?  And by that, I mean more than just saying "You have the right to protest, but I have the right to say you're stupid and tell you to shut up."  I think we have to consider why we have the right and why it is important.  If we are just going to tell everyone who holds an opinion we don't like that they are idiots and know-nothings then why have defend that right?  I could have done that without a right of free speech.  There has to be something intrinsically valuable about that right if it is so important.  An opinion may be right or wrong but maybe I should consider it and evaluate my beliefs in comparison.  Maybe I change my opinion or I don't.  No harm done.  At least I had the opportunity to correct myself.  I think just telling everyone to shut up is an abuse of a right that our forefathers fought for.  If we have it, ******* use it properly.
THAT's TO Guess
               ( USE IT PROPERLY ) You talk about our forefathers, they whould roll over in their grave's to heir you, I'am glad you have to pay for your higher school, what a wast of taxpayer's money. You left wing crack pot, sitting here in a secure enviroment, on the gravy train, biting the hand that feed you!!!!!!  PROTESTING for the hell of it, it's cool !! let's being the kid's they have face painting, ( WE ARE AT WAR !!!! ).
                         If you think Afghanistan is so great, move there, put your kid's in school, Better yet you can talk in the village's, they think like you. ( you'd last 1 hr at best ).
                         Respect if you had some, you wouldn't be here, we are still morning our dead, shithead, but you dodn't get it.!!!!
                                                I'am glad the government doesn't think like you, we would be like the NAZT'S,in your hafe backed world.
                                                S*** for brains.

hmmm... you realize that the protests were over two months ago, right?  This thread is stale by atleast one month.

scoutfinch said:
hmmm... you realize that the protests were over two months ago, right?  This thread is stale by atleast one month.

what about
last week in Wenp.

All I have been reading the last few days, in this form is all the protesting for people like Guess, Pike & the one that got kicked out, this is not the form for that, we need surport , not kicked when down.

bilton090 said:
what about
last week in Wenp.

All I have been reading the last few days, in this form is all the protesting for people like Guess, Pike & the one that got kicked out, this is not the form for that, we need surport , not kicked when down.
*sigh* I'll say it if nobody else will, learn to read ( and write too! For gods' sake!)Just what protesters are you protesting against here?

hmmmm... keep reading.  There is an entire thread discussing the feeble Wpg protests... in fact, that thread has moved on to post ex critiques so you probably shouldn't start ranting and raving about protestors on that thread either. 

I'd recommend staying off those 'corner drugs'.  They hinder making coherent posts.

Will someone please tell this person...that the chances of getting any support for protesting against such things is most likely not going to occur here and better yet...to be taken remotely seriously...dear god there is spell check if nothing else...lmao rotfl

Good one George!!!

HL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back