• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ambulance Replacement (Mega thread)

The F450 Ambulance came about because of a lack of medical care being seen by the CF community, it is being purchased to act as a base amb, and in most cases will be hard top only.  The ambulance has been issued to many fire halls as the new training that all CF Fire fighters receive is the Canadian Red Cross Emergency Medical Responder course ( 10 days/80 hours) which is most provinces allows them to transport to hopsital. 
These are the same ambulances that you see painted green except these are red and white like the old dodges of yesteryear.

flaps_at_10 said:
The F450 Ambulance came about because of a lack of medical care being seen by the CF community, it is being purchased to act as a base amb, and in most cases will be hard top only.  The ambulance has been issued to many fire halls as the new training that all CF Fire fighters receive is the Canadian Red Cross Emergency Medical Responder course ( 10 days/80 hours) which is most provinces allows them to transport to hopsital. 
These are the same ambulances that you see painted green except these are red and white like the old dodges of yesteryear.

Flags at 10 - without any info in your profile - you seem to be filled with some interesting info.

The 4-litter with hydraulic version of the  Ford/Demers F-450 Amb was purchased as part of G2536 (15 in total) to transport the stabilized patient from Role 3 to Role 4. The original proto-type was sent to Bagotville.  The 4-litter version are in use in 2 locations overseas at the moment.

AFAIK, the newest "Air Base" version of the F-450 does not have 4-litters with hydraulics.  Some are being acquired through Air Force funds and others are being acquired through the Pre-hospital care initiative. 

The RCMP ERT uses a F-350 Ford/Demers version.

bisonmedic said:
Armoured ambs will be the mainstay of future operations because I don't think a soft-skin amb should be in this neck of the woods. :cdn:

Quite right...whoever sent those LSVW ambs over should be shot. For a 4 wheel amb, there are uparmoured versions avail of veh like the Toyota land cruiser, the Gwagon, and HMMVW amb. Thoses would be a good middle ground between our 450's (great road amb) and our bisons (great mech ops amb).

Well the reason I know about the F450, is because I am PHCI. LOL that is what I do for  a living, I take care of the Mp's, the fuire fighters and the new F450.

I also remeber a few years back when we received the 1st MILCOTS, the powers to be at Louie St laurent were looking a a box attachment for the milcot as we saw a few post back for the res med units.  What ever happened who knows?  but a few of us went to the demers plant to look at them and they were small, compact but a much better platform than the LSVW.  If I had it my way all med units reg and reserve would get a F450.

I know CTC got a few bisons, but I agree the bison is the way to go, except if you have really muddy terrain....then as much as people slam the 113, I never had problems when I was in it and I actually liked it, besides the heater was a small nuclear reactor.  the only bad thing was track maintenance and having to change a motor, man i hated all that oil......

Crestline Coach makes a series of boxes for ambs that could fill the role. Whatever chassis is chosen, it does'nt matter as long as it can do the job. My preference would be to stick to the MILCOT, just in a reg cab configuration. As well, you would'nt need to have a head-set on to talk to your driver like the LSVW. :cdn:

yopu are so right, I personally think Crestline makes a very nice RIG, however whenever you get to big purchases, it has to go to MERX then be tendered and PWGSC controls the purse string.  and they usually have there hands tied over what they choose, besides Quebec always screams blue murder if they don't get to build everything and we always seem to bend.  ( Bombardier)

Oh yes, I forgot about the long drawn out and often useless way we go about getting our kit. For once could they just get stuff that works and proven ? Who knows, maybe someday it could happen. :cdn:

Back