• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All You Want To Know About Bagpipes[ and then some]- Merged

Let's not go down the my unit is better that yours route, after all the best unit in the CF ORBAT, regardless of what it is, is always the one you are in!

What are people's favourite choices for pipes, (assuming old sets of Henderson's are still in short supply...)?

redleafjumper said:
Let's not go down the my unit is better that yours route, after all the best unit in the CF ORBAT, regardless of what it is, is always the one you are in!

I agree, i was just joking around Rhfc always works with the argyll's on brigade ex's so we have A lot of fun, I think all the units  are pretty decent

I've got a set of sommers (ironwood, with the fun ross bag), which are made for dry climates like Calgary. Pretty sweet. Means they wont crack quite so much.

CPL said:
I agree, i was just joking around Rhfc always works with the argyll's on brigade ex's so we have A lot of fun, I think all the units   are pretty decent

I agree also, as it's childish to play that game.  Im sure it was a joke as im not sure how in the loop a cadet would be about how professional their parent unit's soldiers would be.

I play an old set of Hardies that are just fine, but a friend recently picked up some silver mounted Naills and they are quite sweet.
If I was looking at a new set, I would be very seriously looking at the Naills.

MP 811 said:
I agree also, as it's childish to play that game.  Im sure it was a joke as im not sure how in the loop a cadet would be about how professional their parent unit's soldiers would be.

Well, really, it was just jokes.  ;) Personally, from what I see, I think both regiments are equally proffessional. Though the Argylls scare me more than the Rileys do... Highland games at Bayfront Park.. I came strolling in with a real Riley into Argyll territory... I wanted to run away.  ;D

All in all, yeah, that "my regiment is better than yours!" game is pretty childish. Every regiment has pro's and con's...

Jeeze, now I'm really considering going Argyll.  :-[

hey guys,

Derrick here... from the "real" best regt....48th.....lol.... thats where i started anyway... I'm playing gillanders and mcleod.... they have played very well for over 15 years now... playing "EZ" drones.... best invention ever... anyone still using cane???...some cool links....http://www.bobdunsire.com/bagpipeweb/.......http://www.piperanddrummer.com/........ favorite tune..... thats tuff.. way too many.,, have been out of the army scene for a while and playing comp bands.... way better sound... good to see so many pipers are out there...

:salute:

Why go to all the trouble of making a musical instrument out of the hollowed out bones of your enemies if all it does when you play it is make a noise like two cats being stapled together?

;D

Tom

I play a relatively new set of Hardies with a Warnock chanter.  It produces a decent tone that I have won several Grade 3 competitions with.  When I used to compete Grade 2, I played a set of ivory, hallmarked silver Robertsons.  My old instructor used to tell me that all things being equal, the competitor with the set of pipes that made the judges drool would come out on top.

That being said, I have never won a Grade 2.  :'( 

My all time favorite pipe tune is still P/M Donald McLean Of Lewis

They used to teach us this story at my old cadet corps.

I'm glad they did.
:salute: :cdn:

As a piper, I have to say; stories like this are inspirational.

Because of these types of stories, I was inspired to not only bring my pipes to Afghanistan, but play them the night before and the morning that we moved into the Panjwayi Valley.

Had I not been wounded, I would have been playing in they heart of Pashmul when the operation was finished (as ordered by the OC C Coy).

Some traditions have to be upheld.

Good on you!.................well the bringing the pipes to Astan and playing part, not the getting wounded part.  If I ever choose to do a tour in Astan (I want to, it's whether work will let me), I too will be bringing my pipes on tour.

Hope things are well with you now and your coming along with the injuries....

Just a note for you Pipers:  If your pipes have Ivory on them, be aware of the Canadian Customs rules on importing Ivory.  You will have your pipes confiscated on return, unless you have the proper documentation with you that you took them out of Canada in the first place.  Customs can be a real pain in the arse if you don't.  You are not permitted to import Ivory into Canada.

Yes, George is bang on there.  For sure, make sure you have for paperwork stating the ivory was "grandfathered" so to speak.....

The VAC has some brilliant information;

183893_1.jpg

dileas

tess

George Wallace said:
Just a note for you Pipers:  If your pipes have Ivory on them, be aware of the Canadian Customs rules on importing Ivory.  You will have your pipes confiscated on return, unless you have the proper documentation with you that you took them out of Canada in the first place.  Customs can be a real pain in the arse if you don't.  You are not permitted to import Ivory into Canada.

Well... for the most part, the wagon wheels that checked our kit didn't even know what the pipes, furls, mounts, etc. were made of and even then, they didn't really care.  And I don't remember a Canadian customs rep ever even looking in my barracks box..

But, that is very true.  When we went to Kentucky years ago, upon return, our pipe majors pipes were confiscated due to the whole ivory thing. took a while to get them back.  We've since taken procautions. Our 'Field pipes' are plastic and Faux Ivory... not quite the same sound, but I don't think it matters in the field.  (I also have CADPAT covers for them... both TW and Arid... Post some pics when I get them back.)

RHFC_piper said:
(I also have CADPAT covers for them... both TW and Arid... Post some pics when I get them back.)

id be very interested in seeing these.  Where did you come up with these?  BTW, your P & D was well liked by our guys at the Rochester tattoo....

the 48th regulator said:
I joined because of a Piper,

I couldn't play a tune, so I went infantry (Fraser God Bless Ya!);

RHFC_piper;

here is one for you brother!

PIPER GEORGE FINDLATER, VC
The Gordon Highlanders

Our sister regiment (before the dang amalgamation...) the Gordon Highlanders...

dileas

tess

I joined the Fusiliers because of the History of the British regiment (71st, 74th HLI & 21st SF)... I joined the band as a piper because of the history of the pipes (band forever by the british as an instrument of war, etc.) and the sound... I love the sound.  When I heard them echo across the Panjwayi valley, I knew the enemy could hear them too, and I hoped the noise would invoke the same feelings in them as it did in battles past.

And if I ever get back to Afghanistan, I will play them in to battle again.

As for the link... good article.  Thanks.  :salute: :cdn:

MP 811 said:
id be very interested in seeing these.  Where did you come up with these?  BTW, your P & D was well liked by our guys at the Rochester tattoo....

I origionally made the TW cover from a personal cam cover (about 5 years ago) then I had a rigger in Petawawa make me a couple of Arid covers before I went overseas.  I now have 2, and am interested in selling one... interested?

I'm also going to have him make up a bunch of TW covers for our band, and I may get a few extras made if anyone else is interested.  They're about $60 each, including CADPAT Pipe ribbons.  When I get my junk back from the sandbox, I'll post pics... they're really well made... anyway.. yeah. good times.

and of course the Argyles and Fusiliers got along... we always get along... We've worked together for years.  We always end up being the Argyliers (Argyle+Fusiliers) Company on Brigade ex's.  I was even going to have Argyliers patches made up through the kit shop, which would be a mix of our two regiments cap brasses.  But now we're working with the RHLI and you guys are working with the Linc & Weld Reg.  Oh well.

Cheers, Pipers.

Didn't Richardson's pipes turn up recently in Scotland and are about to be returned to Chilliwack? This story is truly amazing. 

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20061009.BCBAGPIPES09/TPStory/TPNational/BritishColumbia/

Back