• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things beardy-2005 to 2018 (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue is very dry skin, irritated by the shaving, lived with it for 2 years. The beard chit is definitely nice, but not an absolute necessity. If I had to go back to dry skin, in order to get what I wanted. It would be a very easy decision.

As long as you meet the medical requirements for the trades you want, shouldn't be an issue. Seen lots of Infantry types with beards.  AFAIK as long as you are allowed to shave to meet operational requirements then you're good to go everywhere. CJIRU may require you to shave a lot, however, they're going to be in hazmat suits all the time and you'd definitely want a good seal.

HI,

I'm trying to figure out who and when we can have a beard. Everything I find is the navy on deployment and medical reason.

The thing is, I saw at least 2 captains with beard in my locality (they did not seam to have any skin problem, but I'm not a doctor :) ) and they are army, not navy. Also, I see plenty of officers with beards on pictures, am I missing something?

Thanks

Chances are they have a medical chit to have the beard. They are required to keep it neat and trimmed. Are the pictures you are looking at of soldiers oversease? How old are the pictures you are looking at?

recceguy said:
There is no more pioneers. Can't use that excuse.

Damn there goes my future plans,  ;) I will admit that when I was posted to 1 RCR in '88 the first parade I saw with guys in aprons with axes I really did not know what the hell was going on.

Cyrius007 said:
The thing is, I saw at least 2 captains with beard in my locality (they did not seam to have any skin problem, but I'm not a doctor :) )

That's kind of the idea.  Ceasing shaving makes the skin condition go away.

Occam said:
That's kind of the idea.  Ceasing shaving makes the skin condition go away.

Not in all skin conditions, the beard may just hide it.  Like in psoriasis

Could be a few reasons, medical, relgiousa, naval, secret squirelly stuff.  Some members of the QOR (and probably other units), will grow beards for parades when they don historical pioneer kit. 

(My apologies if this question has already been addressed.)

Greetings,

I have a few questions regarding facial hair, the first, how large can you grow a moustache? I know that on the QR&Os it says that it has to be neatly groomed and may not exceed the corners of the mouth, but I've seen people with a huge mass of moustach a few times, so I just wanted to confirm on that one.

Also, (I know this is a silly question, but my curiosity got the better of me) are eyebrows allowed to be waxed, in a sort of fancysmashy handlebar style?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and have a good one.

Shepard said:
Please, do not derail this thread.

"(My apologies if this question has already been addressed.)

Greetings,

I have a few questions regarding facial hair, the first, how large can you grow a moustache? I know that on the QR&Os it says that it has to be neatly groomed and may not exceed the corners of the mouth, but I've seen people with a huge mass of moustach a few times, so I just wanted to confirm on that one.

Also, (I know this is a silly question, but my curiosity got the better of me) are eyebrows allowed to be waxed, in a sort of fancysmashy handlebar style?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and have a good one."

You said "eyebrows" but did you mean wax your mustache for a handlebar style perhaps?

Yes, it used to be some sort of style back in the day. I've seen pictures of WW1 soldiers, most likely high-ranking officers who used to give their eyebrows a little curve, I wanted to know if it is still done today.

Judging from the reaction I got, I highly doubt it. But QR&Os say nothing about it.

QR&Os say nothing about moustaches either.

The Dress Regulations do have information, but they are not found in the QR&Os.

Shepard said:
Yes, it used to be some sort of style back in the day. I've seen pictures of WW1 soldiers, most likely high-ranking officers who used to give their eyebrows a little curve, I wanted to know if it is still done today.

Judging from the reaction I got, I highly doubt it. But QR&Os say nothing about it.

I'll take your word for it but I have never seen or heard of this.  And I've never seen or heard of handlebar eyebrows in this day and age either.  I've seen the moustaches though.

Don't take it personally.  I doubt anyone was insulting anyone from ww1.  Just that a lot of stuff done in the past is pretty ridiculous by today's standards.

I've seen a few handlebar mustaches in the CF, but that was quite a few years ago.

Why do you keep talking about eyebrows? Translation issue?

dapaterson said:
QR&Os say nothing about moustaches either.

The Dress Regulations do have information, but they are not found in the QR&Os.

I don't want to sound like as if I am questioning your knowledge, because you know a heck of a lot more than I do, however, aren't The Dress Regulations found in the QR&Os?

"QR&Os: Volume I - Chapter 17 - Table of Contents
Dress And Appearance"

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/qro-orf/vol-01/tc-tm-017-eng.asp

Just want to try to learn a little more, thank you!

The moustache beyond the corners of the mouth thing dates back to the late sixties or early seventies when some folks affected ones that drooped down like Fu Manchus. The wording was unfortunate, but the intention never was to ban handlebar moustaches. Mine, which I still have, stretched past the corner of my mouth horizontally and it has been accepted as legit for decades.

Shepard said:
I don't want to sound like as if I am questioning your knowledge, because you know a heck of a lot more than I do, however, aren't The Dress Regulations found in the QR&Os?

Dress And Appearance"

17.03 - BEARDS AND MOUSTACHES

The wearing of beards and moustaches is subject to any restrictions ordered by the Chief of the Defence Staff.

(C)

Shepard said:

Dress And Appearance"

The Canadian Forces Dress Instruction is the document you're interested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back