• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aftermarket Kit

What do you guys think of buying armour through e-bay? Safe idea? Or a no go?

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-Multi-Hits-Body-Armor-SAPI-Ceramic-Plates_W0QQitemZ6592944388QQcategoryZ112475QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I was thinking of maybe picking up the CIRAS or an el-cheapo stand in for now... but maybe I'll wait for your ICE plate carrier...

And just wondering... what WOULD a Crye Precision Armour Chassis cost someone? I know... a LOT... and you need proper ID and stuff... but still... just wondering.

God Bless

Tim Chi

Tim,

I'd be wary of buying stuff on ebay, as alot of the stuff on there is cheap asian airsoft knock-off, ie. PROUD Tactical CIRAS'.  They look very similar to the Eagle or Paraclete stuff, but the quality of stitching, thread, materials is not up to spec for professional use.

The Crye stuff isn't available for individual purchase yet, but I'd heard through the grapevine that it'd run you around $3500US with the proprietary Crye plates.  Without plates (you supply your own and use the Crye SAPI carrier setup), it's around $1700US.

Do you think the PROUD stuff or knock-off carriers will be able to handle 6lb fake plates? I found the replica plates you were talking about, and found that you can put sand in them. But if the fake carriers will just fall apart, might as well invest in a real plate carrier and use fake plates. Opinions? Ideas?

If a fake rig costs 200+, I might as well make the investment since I'll need it later anyhow... but that's at least a year or so off... Hmm...

The Crye stuff looks SOOO sexy. Wow... talk about LCF eh? Matt.. once again, any ideas on the cost of the armoured belt?

BTW - if I'm 5 ft 9 in... a medium sized rig would be ok for me correct?

Thanks again.

God Bless

Tim Chi

This is somewhat of a thread steal, but its still aftermarket. Matt I was reading on LF about the ICE TAC Hydro yoke i believe it's called. Unfortunatly the internet connection on the welfare computers here is so painfully slow that I cant download the ICE Tac catalouge. Could you post a pic here? Also does it use 1.5" buckles, I ask becasue I run a MAV. Thanks for any help

This tour has made it very clear to me that the Tac Vest is simply not up to the job, and I'm in Kabul, not Kandahar!

I've got a Lightfighter Falcon chest rig waiting for me when I get home in March, giggidy giggidy!

falcon.jpg

Falcon001BLING.jpg

Falcon002.jpg

tim_chi said:
Is it possible to buy these pseudo plates? I was looking into getting a CIRAS with real plates, but the price is just.. well.. for a res private it's insane. I'd like to be able to train with all my gear on. I go for runs with stuff crammed into my tacvest and I was looking for something to simulate plates. Any help would be great. Thanks!

God Bless

Tim Chi

Got to a fitness store and get a weighted training vest.  Depending on the manufacturer you can get them in weights up to a 120lbs.  And as a side bonus they tend to be cheaper than getting ballistic plates and body armour.

Brihard, it's actually tan  ;)

But that won't matter too much after I put some CADPAT AR pouches on it. What's nice is that more and more products are coming out in CADPAT, both TW and AR. Dave's Surplus, DropZone and ICE Tactical are some of the places you can get them. If I find myself someplace green next time, I can spraypaint the chest rig and slap on some CADPAT TW pouches and be GTG. Plus with modular systems you can configure your gear to suit your needs exactly. They make modular pouches for anything and everything. 5.56 mags, pistol mags, C9 boxes, 40mm grenades, shotgun shells, smoke or frag grenades, pistols, first-aid kits, hydration bladders, nalgene bottles, GPS, radios, NVGs... etc etc...

And with MALICE clips you can reconfigure your gear when required without undue hassle...

Without undue hassle? I've heard differently about malice clips. Apparently they're pretty hard to undo.

Well for some...

They are NOT going to come off by accident - but it takes seconds to remove by intent -

If you have problems with a MALICE clip -- you probably have trouble walking and talking - or forget the breathe routinely...

"If you have problems with a MALICE clip -- you probably have trouble walking and talking - or forget the breathe routinely..."
perhaps a little decaf Kev ;D

CFL said:
"If you have problems with a MALICE clip -- you probably have trouble walking and talking - or forget the breathe routinely..."
perhaps a little decaf Kev ;D

...or shouldn't be in public without adult supervision...

blake

Hahaha, ok, point taken. I've never handled them myself but I must have misinterpreted someone else's comment... that or they can't walk, forget to breathe, and need adult supervision ;D

Maybe one day, when I wake up in a pile of money, I'll buy all the pouches I want from Tactical Tailor, Paraclete, Eagle, TAG, etc and have a little fun with malice clips. But until then its swap meet BHI stuff for me *sigh...*

Cheers,
Pinky

Pinky,

If you want a Malice clip to try out/experiment with/become familiar with... shoot me a line and I'll send one your way.  They are the hindquarters of the feline!!!

blake

Thanks for the offer mate, but I'm sure one will wind up in my hands soon enough. I find myself in the middle of an online shopping spree, you see. When I ordered my RAID I thought "I'll have no need for pouches, it's bigger than my last pack and I was fine with that one." Turns out all RAIDs are shipped with the pouchitis virus impregnated in the Cordura. I find myself day-dreaming about my ideal setup, forgoing meals just to scrape up enough cash to buy my next pouch... I wake up in a cold sweat on some nights severely distraught at the thought of any PALS webbing being left uncovered. I cringe at the thought of having to remove all of the pouches so that my beloved RAID will be carry-on-size, as one might cringe at the thought of stripping the skin off of one's best friend. Whenever something gets me down I need only to close my eyes and imagine my RAID in an embrace of modular Cordura goodness to lift my spirits. The image warms me from head to toe...

In short, thanks, but that's really not necessary ;D

Cheers,
Pinky

Pte.Pinky said:
Thanks for the offer mate, but I'm sure one will wind up in my hands soon enough. I find myself in the middle of an online shopping spree, you see. When I ordered my RAID I thought "I'll have no need for pouches, it's bigger than my last pack and I was fine with that one." Turns out all RAIDs are shipped with the pouchitis virus impregnated in the Cordura. I find myself day-dreaming about my ideal setup, forgoing meals just to scrape up enough cash to buy my next pouch... I wake up in a cold sweat on some nights severely distraught at the thought of any PALS webbing being left uncovered. I cringe at the thought of having to remove all of the pouches so that my beloved RAID will be carry-on-size, as one might cringe at the thought of stripping the skin off of one's best friend. Whenever something gets me down I need only to close my eyes and imagine my RAID in an embrace of modular Cordura goodness to lift my spirits. The image warms me from head to toe...

In short, thanks, but that's really not necessary ;D

Cheers,
Pinky

You are one twisted chicken - yep, you've got it baaaad... :o :o

blake

Back