• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Afghanistan: Why we should be there (or not), how to conduct the mission (or not) & when to leave

PIKER said:
"Taliban Jack" to respond to today's ceremonies at 1400hrs CBC Newsworld.   You actually think he would pass up a chance to be in the limelight?? ::)

So hold writing letters to NDP until he bleets then. No doubt more things to pin him on there.

I'm watching Taliban jack flap his gums on newsworld right now....still singing the same song about negotiatiing and bringing the troops home.........bitching about taknks and jets........twisting the Afghan president's words.... ::)

;D

From the CTV article:

NDP Leader Jack Layton, who has called for Canadian troops to come home, says he has repeatedly requested a meeting with the Afghan president, but has so far received no response.

Taliban Jack, Irrelevant in two countries.  ;D ;D

Reccesoldier said:
;D

From the CTV article:

Taliban Jack, Irrelevant in two countries.  ;D ;D

Taliban jack was saying during his interview that he met him for about 10 minutes and will meet him again in Montreal..........wtf ?

Karzai thanks Canadians for support
Afghanistan president addresses Parliament

Meagan Fitzpatrick, CanWest News Service
Published: Friday, September 22, 2006

OTTAWA — Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai thanked Canada for its contributions to rebuilding his country and asked for continued support in an address to Parliament on Friday.

Calling Canada a model for "all that is good," Karzai said he knew the timing of his visit was significant.

"I know my visit comes at a time of sadness for a number of families across Canada who have lost loved ones in my country, Afghanistan. I also know it is at a time that millions in Canada are pondering your country's role in Afghanistan."

Karzai said it is to those people, in addition to the members of Parliament, that he wished to address his speech. He also expressed his condolences to Canada’s fallen soldiers.

"If the greatness of life is measured in deeds done for others, then Canada's sons and daughters who have made the ultimate sacrifice in Afghanistan stand among the greatest of their generation," he said.

"They have sacrificed so that we in Afghanistan may have security and they have sacrificed to ensure the continued safety of their fellow Canadians from terrorism."

The sacrifice is worth it and Canadian efforts are making an enormous difference in the lives of Afghans, he told the joint session of Parliament.

Karzai said his people endured over two decades of pain and suffering beginning with the 1979 Soviet invasion. After helping the world fight communist forces, Afghanistan was abandoned, he said.

"Few cared about the dismal plight of the Afghan people and even fewer thought about the consequences of leaving a country so dangerously vulnerable to foreign extremists," he said, adding Afghanistan tried to warn the world of the terrorism that was brewing there but their pleas for attention were ignored.

"Perhaps by the standards of today's world we did not exist for we had nothing to sell to the world or nothing to buy from the world, so we did not matter …The tragedy of Sept. 11 showed in a terrible way the flaws of the arguments against helping Afghanistan. For one thing, it showed that, in fact, the cost of ignoring Afghanistan was far higher than the cost of helping it," he said.

Karzai outlined the progress made by his country in the last few years and said Afghanistan needs the continued support of Canada to stay on the path to success.

"Despite our phenomenal progress, our new democracy faces serious challenges and threats as well," he said. He pointed to the insurgents and poppy cultivation for opium as specific examples.

"If we do not destroy poppies in Afghanistan, poppies will destroy us," he said.

"We want to have a country as good as yours and a parliament as good as yours and we will not have that unless we destroy poppies."

Karzai thanked Prime Minister Stephen Harper for his "steadfast support" of the mission in Afghanistan and also thanked previous Liberal prime ministers Jean Chretien and Paul Martin for initially committing Canada to the mission.

He left the joint session of Parliament with this message: "In Afghanistan, you are not only serving the cause of security for the international community, and your country, you are also helping one of the most oppressed societies in the world and the little children that they have. Thank you."

Karzai arrived in Ottawa late Thursday and met privately with Harper in the evening.

On Friday morning, he was met on the front steps of Parliament by the prime minister and a military honour guard, before making his way inside to address the House of Commons.

Karzai's visit is viewed by some as an attempt to boost support for a controversial mission that has claimed 37 Canadian lives since 2002.

His visit follows Harper's address to the United Nations on Thursday in which he called Afghanistan the most important overseas engagement for Canada and a test for the strength of the UN.

Karzai also spoke to the UN, and similar to his speech in Ottawa, he outlined some of the many challenges facing his country.

Corruption is proving to be a problem for Karzai's government and a Canadian official who recently briefed journalists on Karzai's visit said diplomats are working with the Afghan government to ensure public servants hired for key positions can be trusted to do their jobs.

Karzai's country is also facing economic struggles. He has singled out the growing problem of poppy cultivation as the main impediment to his country's economic recovery.

The UN Office on Drugs and Crime reported this week that Afghanistan continues to produce opium at record levels, and will break the Taliban's 1999 record for opium production before it banned poppy farming.

Women's rights have also not made as much progress as people may believe. Last week, the Afghan independent human rights commission released its latest assessment of the near non-existent state of women's rights in Afghanistan, pointing to the widespread persecution of women by a legal system that should be protecting them and a troubling rise in "honour killings" — the murder of girls and women by their families because of their refusal to participate in arranged marriages or end what the families view as inappropriate relationships.

At a presentation at the University of Ottawa last week, Afghan MP Malalai Joya was highly critical of the state of women's rights and overall democratic reform. She said warlords still control huge portions of the country.
http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story.html?id=00d21e40-f1c1-4967-a98f-cf8b80e15429&k=91460

NDP Leader Jack Layton has made several requests for a meeting with the Afghan leader — and has had no reply.
cdnaviator said:
Taliban Jack was saying during his interview that he met him for about 10 minutes and will meet him again in Montreal..........wtf ?

Perhaps Jack was hiding in a washroom stall or something........  ;D

Jack Layton: I want Canada to withdraw, I want you to negotiate with the Taliban , blah blah blah

Hamid Karzai: I'm sorry, my translator was unable to comprehend what you just said. I must catch my plane now, but perhaps you can visit me in Kabul and say your piece. Farewell.

Jack Layton: But, but........

This was in The Toronto Star of all places  :eek: (Surprising I know)

Fair Dealings etc..

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1158875419940&call_pageid=970599109774&col=Columnist969907621263

Canada gave its word on Afghan undertaking
Sep. 22, 2006. 01:00 AM
ROSIE DIMANNO

OTTAWA—There is nothing quixotic — tipping at windmills dreamy — about the security and stabilization mission to Afghanistan.

NATO, invited in, is not the Soviets, chased out.

And the Taliban are most definitely not the mujahedeen of legend. Most of them weren't even born then. They don't fight like them, they aren't drawn from a broad arc of ethnic groups and tribal alliances like them, and they're not nationally, passionately, esteemed as valiant warriors like them.

It simplifies the conundrum of Afghanistan to argue, as many are now doing, that Canada is being dragged into an endlessly expanding and essentially winless war against the Taliban. Or further, even more ignobly, that this struggle is not in our interest — not worth the blood of Canadian men and women — and that we should disengage forthwith, concentrate our resources, in treasure and troops, elsewhere. (But elsewhere, be it Darfur or Haiti — or whatever bright object of humanitarian need might captivate the likes of Jack Layton — would lose its thrall, you can bet on it, as soon as Canadian troops started dying there, too.)

Eighteen months into this mission, the fact is we don't even know who we're fighting, although self-professed Taliban spokesmen boastfully take credit for casualties inflicted on NATO forces. There is a resurgent Taliban in the southern provinces but this is only one element in a quasi-coalition of insurgents that includes powerful drug cartels, regional militias, local criminal gangs and foreign combatants lured by the always inspirational commandment to jihad.

But we're making a grandiose and mythical enemy out of the Taliban, as if this faction is an opponent that can't be dislodged or even contained, prevented from sloshing over into all the other provinces where there has been no robust threat to the rehabilitation of Afghanistan.

This is dangerous defeatism and a self-fulfilling prophecy for the constituency that is isolationist at heart or reflexively opposed to any military intervention anywhere. They cloak their objections in the purported futility of Afghanistan — a morass in the making, not worth a single Canadian life lost, indefatigably resistant to either an effective central government or NATO troops summoned in support of it. But it is, for many Canadians, more philosophically basic than that.

It's a do-nothing mood, in the hope that nothing will then be done to us.

If not demanding immediate withdrawal, these entrenched pessimists demand specific, static, benchmarks to measure what is so often beyond instant assessment. Nation-building, in this case building a functioning, sovereign state from what was the ruin of Afghanistan, is not an 18-month job. It's not a three-year job. It will take, according to even conservative estimates, at least a decade and won't happen at all if Afghanistan is abandoned to sink once more into anarchy, creating anew an environment attractive to terrorist cadres with global ambitions.

We are flirting with failure, not because that fate is foretold but because, five years after Afghanistan was liberated — and it was liberated — much of the world has already lost interest. Many Canadians have lost interest.

The reconstruction money that was promised isn't there. The moral alliance that was the West's troth to Afghanistan has been steadily eroded. Fatigue has set in awfully fast.

Early this year at the London Summit, President Hamid Karzai, who arrived here last night and will address the House of Commons this morning, said it would take a minimum of $20 billion over five years to resurrect Afghanistan to the point where it could stand on its own feet, tend to its own house as a nation nursed back from the brink. But at the end of the summit, only $10.5 billion was promised in aid and 20 per cent of that was old pledges already on the table, so the real figure on aid ostensibly forthcoming over the next five years was $8 billion, $4 billion of it from the United States and $1.26 billion from the World Bank. How much Afghanistan will actually receive remains to be seen. There's precious little evidence financial commitments by the international community will be any more reliable than all the other promises extended.

How many times do Canadians need to be reminded that the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan is not an American imperialist plot but a creation of the United Nations, transferred to NATO. This is not George Bush's war — would that he had made it more so these last five years — although there are some 21,000 U.S. troops in Afghanistan, or just over half of NATO forces. Canada accounts for about 10 per cent of that NATO deployment but — along with Britain and the Dutch — is doing most of the heavy humping on the ground. The gallant Poles have recently taken up the plea from NATO commanders for a greater contribution from member countries.

Yes, it would be tremendously helpful if other NATO nations would contribute more, especially in the way of infantry troops and heavy weapons. Yes, the optimum solution would be for an international Muslim peacekeeping force, under a UN mandate, to assume the primary burden. Turkey, a NATO member, has twice led the ISAF-mission when it was restricted to Kabul. But just this week, its army chief outright rejected NATO's call for reinforcements. "Not a single soldier from the Turkish armed forces will go to Afghanistan for the fight against terrorism. There is no need for such a thing and it is out of the question.''

ISAF has been in Afghanistan since 2003 and that's part of the problem. It took too long to get in there and then it wasn't done with sufficient numbers. In that context, there is certainly an echo of Iraq. The UN peacekeeping presence in Bosnia, after all, encompassed 60,000 troops.

Canada can't do much about what other countries aren't doing. But this is an assignment we took on willingly, with good reason (if originally as political cover for prime minister Jean Chrétien, as he manoeuvred for practical reasons to stay out of Iraq.)

This country has a historical romance with peacekeeping. But peacekeeping is a hollow concept without fighting meat on the bone. Facts on the ground have changed and development has been compromised as a result. But there's no way, now, to jump from here to there without continuing the often perilous work of pacifying Afghanistan's most volatile areas. Building local institutions, training police, providing development assistance — none of this good and noble work can continue in the southern provinces if NATO flees from the challenges of combat.

This country gave its word. That used to mean something to Canadians

Not necessarily surprising; perhaps she looked over at Christie Blatchford of the Globe & Mail receiving this year's Ross Munro Media Award for defence reporting and thought, "hmmmm...maybe I should jump on that bandwagon. After all, newspaper-buying people are supporting the troops, even if the left side of government isn't."

However, she's still a product of her politicial upbringing:
The UN peacekeeping presence in Bosnia, after all, encompassed 60,000 troops.

The UN peacekeeping presence was an abysmal failure.
Success required the mission to be turned over to NATO, with a mandate to kill bad guys if necessary, to compel adherence to the Dayton Accords. Only after this point was reached, was the environment suitable for a peacekeeping force. (Even then, the UN was not trusted with it; hence it being a European Union mission)

Today, more than ever, a war-fighting force must be deployed to set the conditions for any subsequent peacekeeping, reconstruction, development, etc.

Why is it that so many people miss that simple reality?

Edit: sorry, I forgot a word or two...

President Karzai mentioned...
The tragedy of Sept. 11 showed in a terrible way the flaws of the arguments against helping
Afghanistan. For one thing, it showed that, in fact, the cost of ignoring Afghanistan was far higher than
the cost of helping it," he said.
Maybe I'm being conned, maybe I'm a sap, but I believe these words wholeheartedly.

There was no intervention in Cambodia, in Rwanda and look how things turned out when there is no
interference.  There is no perfect solution, but choosing the lesser of two evils is better than no choice
at all.  Very few things are perfect.  Progress isn't perfect, but it's there.  85% effective capacity isn't
perfect, but being there doing the job sounds perfect to me.

Some say we interfere in local politics, on sovereign land, but how can we ignore this?  NATO members
have decided to spread rule of law and human rights AND support local customs and religions.  This is our
vision of the world, a vision that not everyone shares.  I agree that we are interfering, and I don't apologie
for it.  We're doing good.  We're helping.  Why would they complain, and who exactly is complaining?

Tyrants, bullies and druglords don't want us there.  I'm tempted to ignore their point of view.

Many in Canada don't want us there either.  Jack Layton and Gilles Duceppe are my favorites these days
for their choice to side against NATO, the UN and basic Canadian values.  Nay-Sayers will always believe
that we have the wrong army anyway, will never accept that war is inevitable (but we do chose our battles).

Interesting link for all Left-Wing Nay-Sayers: The Wrong Army
(ignore the cheesy music, it mentions that we'd never get anything done if we were led by Nay-Sayers.)

Maybe Mr.Duceppe should get his wish:  A live debate.  I'd love to see PM Harper on TV explaining in simple terms
how we are not American puppets, that we are doing a good job with limited ressources and that polls are not
giving us the right idea of current affairs.  President Karzai was preaching for his interests, but it's also our interests.

Seeing 92% of New Democrats vote for the return of our troops isn't reality, it doesn't support our best interests. 
It certainly doesn't represent Canada's point of view as a whole.  Giving up on reconstruction and turning our backs
to the other NATO forces, we can't accept that. 

It's one side of the coin. 

The side of the coin that won't get elected, but their ideas will have a platform in the next elections. :mad:

I can't wait to hear from Mr. Dryden.  I believe he will have a lot of weight in the coming months,
I hope he listens to reason rather than polls.  I don't think he took any side yet concerning Afghanistan.

I like her comment on the Mujadeheen, we met alot of former Muj that now are Police Commanders etc.

they said they fought to free Astan from the russians, and are doing the same against the TB, and these were among some of the scariest old school dudes I'd ever met, glad they're on our side

I do love it ever so much when the NDP's beliefs and policies blow up in their face and show them for the fools that they are. ;D

Journeyman said:
Not necessarily surprising; perhaps she looked over at Christie Blatchford of the Globe & Mail receiving this year's Ross Munro Media Award for defence reporting and thought, "hmmmm...maybe I should jump on that bandwagon. After all, newspaper-buying people are supporting the troops, even if the left side of government isn't."

Actually that's a bit unfair to Ms. diManno.  Despite the perspective of her employer I have found her articles to be generally supportive of both the troops and the principles of the mission - if not the details.

Kirkhill said:
Actually that's a bit unfair to Ms. diManno.  Despite the perspective of her employer I have found her articles to be generally supportive of both the troops and the principles of the mission - if not the details.

I've known her since late-winter 1995, when it was announced that the Airborne was being disbanded (so maybe it's my own baggage). Feel free to research diManno's rabid anti-militarism from that period, based on absolutely no actual research - - at least Christie Blatchford came up to Pet and talked with the troops!

I have no use for her. The fact that she writes something remotely positive now, based on which way the wind is blowing, surprises me not in the least.

Journeyman said:
I've known her since late-winter 1995, when it was announced that the Airborne was being disbanded (so maybe it's my own baggage). Feel free to research diManno's rabid anti-militarism from that period, based on absolutely no actual research - - at least Christie Blatchford came up to Pet and talked with the troops!

I have no use for her. The fact that she writes something remotely positive now, based on which way the wind is blowing, surprises me not in the least.

Point taken JM.  I have only been aware of her recent work.

From the horse's ***:

Why Canada must review mission
Toronto Star, Sept. 26
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1159221038634&call_pageid=968256290204&col=968350116795

Debate over Canada's combat role in southern Afghanistan is growing. In the last few days, Canadians have had the opportunity to hear from Afghan President Hamid Karzai and Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

But who's listening to the millions of everyday Canadians who are reaching the conclusion that this is the wrong mission for Canada?..

The more we learn, the more it becomes clear that this mission is ill-defined, unbalanced and that Canada has no exit strategy. In short, this current mission is a strategic blunder by Harper, the Conservative government and the Liberals who helped them keep us there.

The Conservative government's insistence on a military solution to Afghanistan's insecurity is highly contestable.

Harper says Canadian troops must engage in warfare in Afghanistan to "eliminate the remnants of the Taliban regime once and for all."

This is not a view shared by Karzai who just this past Thursday told the U.S. Council on Foreign Relations, "Bombings in Afghanistan are no solution to the Taliban. You do not destroy terrorism by bombing villages."

Harper's stubborn and narrow approach to Afghanistan is a lift from President George Bush's tired playbook and one Canadians are having little difficulty seeing through.

Weeks ago, I called for the withdrawal of Canadian Forces from the combat mission in southern Afghanistan.

I called on the government to focus Canada's role on reconstruction, aid and development...

Just last weekend Australia announced it was withdrawing its entire 200-strong special forces. Across Europe, member nations of NATO — including Germany, France, Italy and Turkey — are refusing to commit troops to the military offensive in Kandahar province where Canadian troops are stationed. With good reason: They share the NDP's unease about the viability of such an undefined and unbalanced mission...

Contrary to the propaganda in certain Western media, Afghan women and men are not `liberated' at all."

It's time for a new approach. One that puts reconstruction, development and aid ahead of counter- insurgency.

It only makes sense in a conflict that both the minister of defence and the president of Afghanistan admit can't be won militarily. Now if only Harper would listen.

I wonder what Taliban Jack bin Layton has to say to the family of Safia Ama Jan, and to Fariba Ahmedi.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060926.AFGHANSLAIN26/TPStory/?query=afghanistan

Layton plays incredibly fast and loose with facts. I just saw Pres. Karzai at his White House press conference with Pres. Bush. Karzai made it clear that offensive military action against the Taliban, as this is essential to create security for the development, education etc. that must also be undertaken--and Pakistan needs to act, especially against the madrassas teaching fundamentalism.

Mark
Ottawa

The world is full of Laytons....here's another

FERRERO GOVT. MUST TALK ABOUT WITHDRAWAL FROM AFGHANISTAN
http://www.agi.it/english/news.pl?doc=200609261444-1087-RT1-CRO-0-NF82&page=0&id=agionline-eng.italyonline

(AGI) - Naples, Sept. 26 - Social solidarity minister Paolo Ferrero was in Naples today. He said that the government must talk about the withdrawal from Afghanistan soon. According to the minister the situation there is evolving negatively and this is not anymore a peace keeping mission but a war mission. According to Ferrero the party will raise this issue. The mission has been financed up to the year's end but we must find a solution to exit from this situation, he said.
  -
261444 SET 06
COPYRIGHTS 2002-2006 AGI S.p.A. 

Riddled with factual errors, as usual:

• In short, this current mission is a strategic blunder by Harper, the Conservative government and the Liberals who helped them keep us there.

In fact, this was entirely a Liberal deployment.

• This is not a view shared by Karzai who just this past Thursday told the U.S. Council on Foreign Relations, "Bombings in Afghanistan are no solution to the Taliban. You do not destroy terrorism by bombing villages."

This is a selective quote.  Karzai made it quite clear last week that the military element of the effort was critical and praised Canada extensively for its role in S. Afghanistan.

• Just last weekend Australia announced it was withdrawing its entire 200-strong special forces.

This is blatently untrue.  Australia is - as I type - training for a deployment to S. Afghanistan.

• Across Europe, member nations of NATO — including Germany, France, Italy and Turkey — are refusing to commit troops to the military offensive in Kandahar province where Canadian troops are stationed.

So, the NDP would suggest taking the easy road out?  These countries haven't refused to deploy forces to the south because they disagree with the mission.  Instead, they've balked at deploying because of a fear of casualties and a lack of political will...

A guest-post at Daimnation!:

"Mr Layton: Canada must change mission in Western Europe [1944"]
http://www.damianpenny.com/archived/007671.html

;)

Mark
Ottawa

Afghan mission off track: Martin
Former PM stands by his decision to send troops
Sep. 27, 2006. 08:31 AM
BILL SCHILLER
STAFF REPORTER
Toronto Star

OTTAWA—The man who sent Canadian soldiers to Kandahar — Paul Martin — said he doesn't approve of the way the military mission is unfolding and there must be far more emphasis on aid and reconstruction if Canada and NATO hope to succeed.

"I'm the person who sent them there and I don't back away from that one iota," the former prime minister said yesterday during a 90-minute interview in his parliamentary office.

But he repeatedly said that rebuilding the country was the aim of the mission — a fact that seems to have been obscured in recent months by increasingly intense fighting on the ground.

"I know what the answer is. The answer is going to be — and actually I've been told — `oh my God, you can't do the reconstruction while you're going through this period.'

"I don't buy that," Martin said. "The original concept was that you could. So do it."

Martin said that concrete and positive action in Afghan communities was crucial to winning support from the local population. "You can't win the military war if you can't win the hearts and minds of the people," Martin said.

Martin, whose Liberals were defeated by Stephen Harper's Tories in January, also said that if the United Nations called on Canada to send troops to the Darfur region of Sudan, Canada should go.

"If the UN issues a call and the African Union approves. I believe Canada must respond," he said.

Martin made the decision for Canadian soldiers to go to Kandahar based on a commitment given to him by Gen. Rick Hillier, chief of defence staff, that should other international missions arise, Canada would have enough soldiers to deploy.

Martin said Canada's military "has the capacity to make a contribution" in Darfur.

Martin convened a meeting in March, 2005, at which the decision was made to transfer Canadian troops from the then-relative calm of Kabul to the pointy edge of battle in Kandahar, birthplace of the Taliban and an insurgent stronghold.

He made the move, he said, aiming to spread security throughout Afghanistan, to ensure delivery of humanitarian aid and to speed reconstruction.

"It wasn't going to be sufficient if all you held was Kabul," he said. "You can't build a reconstructed Afghanistan if all you build is Kabul."

It was necessary, Martin said, for Canada to assist coalition forces in broadening the zone of security so that eventually reconstruction could take place throughout the country.

But since sending the troops to Kandahar, beginning in August last year, Canadians have confronted increasing resistance and taken heavy casualties. Twenty-eight soldiers have died this year and many more have been wounded. In the last three months alone, 20 have died.

Martin didn't downplay the difficulty or danger faced by Canadian soldiers and their commanders in Afghanistan, acknowledging the task at hand is "more difficult than the military thought it would be."

He expressed sorrow for the soldiers who have died, and for their families, as well as those injured in "a worthy cause."

But he made it plain that the ongoing mission is not the one he approved.

"I approved a 3-D approach," he said, referring to what military planners also call the "whole government approach," involving diplomacy, defence and development.

"We are doing the defence," he said. "In fact we are doing the defence quite aggressively — and you can't do it passively.

"But are we doing the amount of reconstruction, the amount of aid that I believe was part of the original mission? The answer unequivocally is that we're not. And I believe that we should."

Martin added, "it's called a PRT," referring to the provincial reconstruction teams that are supposed to be the key components of the mission, carrying forward the reconstruction and development work. "The purpose of that is reconstruction ... to reach out to people.

"I think they're trying diplomacy. I'm really not sure."

Martin said that "if all nations pull their weight, I believe that ultimately we will succeed. But I do not underestimate the cost."

Martin said that Darfur has long been a priority for him and remains so. "The problem in Darfur is that there are insufficient troops on the ground ... to protect not only the refugees, but the people who are trying to protect the refugees," he said.

About 200,000 people have died in Darfur, either in violence or from disease and famine, since rebels rose up in 2003, accusing Sudan's Arab-led government of discrimination. Another 2 million have been forced from their homes, many by the Janjaweed militia, accused of killings and rapes in attacks on ethnic African villages. The Sudanese government denies charges it backs the militia.

Originally, Martin noted, the African Union insisted that any peace support troops originate from African countries.

But in the face of mounting challenges to its effectiveness, the African Union now appears ready to accept troops from non-African nations, he said.

The African Union said yesterday that its deployment plans for more troops from African nations are uncertain because of a continuing lack of funds.

Martin said that helping Darfur was central to Canadian values, including the Canadian-initiated doctrine of Responsibility to Protect that was adopted by the UN a year ago.

Back