• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AESOp ( MOC 081)

Long story short...

I am currently a 5s qualified ATIS Tech and looking at VOT-T to AESOp. I am in Shearwater right now and have heard from many guys in trade that they are looking for new people.
My dad was an AESOp for 25ish years and currently running the simulator for the cyclone. So we both hear a lot of info.
From what I can understand I can apply for the trade by Jan 2018 under the VOT-T level. So fingers crossed I guess.

I've read all the recent threads here and love the wealth of information. Thank you.

So you know what the trade's about then somewhat...some get into it that don't.

The main ref is CFAO 11-12, but you'll notice in the CANFORGEN they use language like "who are OFP"...the CFAO doesn't have this language in it.  You're QL5 so it won't matter;it just irks me when the CAF doesn't follow it's own policy.  Anyways...

In case you haven't seen it yet...

CANFORGEN 128/17 CMP 062/17 211447Z JUL 17
2018/2019 VOLUNTARY OCCUPATION TRANSFER (VOT) PROGRAM FOR NCM COMPETITION
UNCLASSIFIED

REFS: A. CFAO 11-12
B. MOSID ENTRY STANDARDS - HTTP://CMP-CPM.FORCES.MIL.CA/EN/SUPPORT/MILITARY-PERSONNEL/DPGR_OCCUPATIONS.PAGE
C. TERMS OF SERVICE - HTTP://CMP-CPM.MIL.CA/EN/RECRUITMENT-CAREERS/TERMS-OF-SERVICE/INDEX.PAGE
D. DAOD 5023-2
E. HTTP://WWW.FORCES.GC.CA/EN/ABOUT-POLICIES-STANDARDS-MEDICAL-OCCUPATIONS/OFFICER-NCM-MINIMUM-MEDICAL-STANDARDS.PAGE- CFP 154 ANNEX E - MINIM MEDICAL STANDARDS FOR NON-COMMISSIONED MEMBERS
F. FSG 100-01 AIRCREW MEDICAL SELECTION PARA 3A
G. HTTP://CMP-CPM.MIL.CA/EN/RECRUITMENT-CAREERS/IN-SERVICE-SELECTION/INDEX.PAGE
H. VOT APPLICATION FORM HTTP://CMP-CPM.MIL.CA/EN/RECRUITMENT-CAREERS/IN-SERVICE-SELECTION/INDEX.PAGE

1. THE NCM VOT PROGRAM GOVERNS THE VOLUNTARY TRANSFER OF REG F NCMS FROM ONE MILITARY OCCUPATION TO ANOTHER. THE VOT PROGRAM INCLUDES THE ANNUAL VOLUNTARY OCCUPATION TRANSFER PROGRAM (AVOTP), CONTINUING OCCUPATION TRANSFER PROGRAM (COT AND LAND OCCUPATION TRANSFER PROGRAM (LOTP) IAW REF A. 
2. THE 2018/2019 VOT PROGRAM FOR OFP QUALIFIED CANDIDATES IS OPENED TO ALL OF THE NCM OCCUPATIONS IN ACCORDANCE WITH REF A AND THE 2018/2019 CAF INTERNAL STRATEGI INTAKE PLAN (SIP) FOR REG F PERSONNEL 
3. ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR THE VOT PROGRAM IS IDENTIFIED AT REF A AND AMPLIFIED IN THE MOSID ENTRY STANDARDS AT REF B. 
A. APPLICANTS MUST MEET THE CAF MINIMUM PHYSICAL FITNESS STANDARD (REF D) AND TH MOSID MEDICAL STANDARD SPECIFIED FOR THE TARGETED OCCUPATION AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION (REF E). IN CIRCUMSTANCES WHERE POTENTIAL APPLICANTS DO NOT MEET THE REQUIRED MEDICAL STANDARD BUT HAVE BEEN RETAINED WITHOUT RESTRICTION IN THEIR CURRENT OCCUPATION AS A RESULT OF AN AR/MEL PROCESS, OR THEIR MEDICAL CATEGORY STILL MEETS THE REQUIREMENTS OF THEIR CURRENT OCCUPATION, THEN A WAIVER MAY BE REQUESTED, IF JUSTIFIED, BASED ON THEIR MELS. WAIVER PROCESS IS AVAILABLE AT RE G 
B. FOR APPLICANTS APPLYING FOR SF OP THE 48 MONTH CONTINUOUS SERVICE REQUIREMENT IS REDUCED TO 24 MONTHS FOR THIS COMPETITION. 
C. FORMER RMS CLKS WISHING TO TRANSFER FROM HRA TO FSA/FSA TO HRA MAY SUBMIT AN APPLICATION THROUGH THEIR COC. SUCCESSFUL APPLICANTS MAY RETAIN CURRENT RANK BAS ON RESULTS OF A PLAR PROVIDED A VACANCY EXISTS AT THAT RANK IN THE GAINING OCCUPATION.
4. COMPLETED VOT APPLICATIONS ARE TO BE RECEIVED ELECTRONICALLY AT (PLUS SIGN) (PLUS SIGN)DMCPG 5(AT SIGN)CMP DMCPG(AT SIGN)OTTAWA-HULL BY THE FOLLOWING DEADLINES IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THE 2018/2019 VOT COMPETITION: 
A. APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED ON A CONTINUING BASIS FOR 00021 FLT ENGR AND 00322 CRT RPTR 
B. 30 OCT 17 - FSA TO HRA/HRA TO FSA 
C. 10 NOV 17 - 00101 SAR TECH, 00161 MP AND 00342 CL DVR 
D. 15 DEC 17 - 00357 CBRN OP 
E. 12 FEB 18 - ALL OTHER OCCUPATIONS INCLUDING 00371 PMED, 00372 OR TECH, 00373 PHYS TECH AND 00369 SF OP IN ORDER TO ALLOW FOR APPLICATION PROCESSING REQUIREMENTS LOCAL PSO OFFICES WILL ESTABLISH EARLIER DEADLINES.
5. AN APPLICATION WILL BE CONSIDERED COMPLETED IF IT ARRIVES AT DMCPG BY THE RESPECTIVE DEADLINE AND INCLUDES ALL THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS: 
A. VOLUNTARY OCCUPATION TRANSFER APPLICATION FORM WITH PARTS 1-5 COMPLETED (REF H). PSO PROCESSING (INCLUDING PART 4) IS NOT REQUIRED FOR FSA TO HRA/HRA TO FSA 
B. SELECTION ASSESSMENT REPORT (DND 2790) COMPLETED BY THE PSO 
C. MEMBER S MILITARY RECORD RESUME (NOT EMAA VERSION) 
D. SIGNED STATEMENT OF UNDERSTANDING
6. SUCCESSFUL APPLICANTS WILL BE NOTIFIED NLT JUN 18. NO REQUEST FOR UPDATE ON ACTIVE FILES WILL BE ENTERTAINED BEFORE MID MAY 18 
7. UNITS/APPLICANTS ARE TO CONTACT THEIR LOCAL PSO OFFICE FOR ALL POLICY AND SELECTION INQUIRIES

Good luck!!

Thanks for that!! I didn't realize it was to be sent electronically. I guess I'll fill out all my sections and get my flight medical signed off then it needs to be scanned before the CoC can start their part.
Also that new date in Feb is later then I found. Granted I plan on having everything done in the next month or so as long as the flight medical can go thought fast. I've done it before and expect no issues at all.

I have a very good understanding about the trade and have a few great resources for getting my questions answered, including this page now. Just glad I was told about the state of the trade so I can start looking into the VOT. Or else I wouldn't have known. Glad to hear they are looking for more VOTs now when I was first trying to get into the trade from being in the infantry they were mainly focused on DE. Granted I was only a untrained private then. Hoping to have better luck now. Espically with all the electronics theory and training I've had as an ATIS Tech.

Any idea what the turn around is for someone that successfully meets all the checks for a VOT? I see it says could find out by June 2018. But then could be months after that? Longer?

adventure-guide said:
Thanks for that!! I didn't realize it was to be sent electronically. I guess I'll fill out all my sections and get my flight medical signed off then it needs to be scanned before the CoC can start their part.
Also that new date in Feb is later then I found. Granted I plan on having everything done in the next month or so as long as the flight medical can go thought fast. I've done it before and expect no issues at all.

I have a very good understanding about the trade and have a few great resources for getting my questions answered, including this page now. Just glad I was told about the state of the trade so I can start looking into the VOT. Or else I wouldn't have known. Glad to hear they are looking for more VOTs now when I was first trying to get into the trade from being in the infantry they were mainly focused on DE. Granted I was only a untrained private then. Hoping to have better luck now. Espically with all the electronics theory and training I've had as an ATIS Tech.

Any idea what the turn around is for someone that successfully meets all the checks for a VOT? I see it says could find out by June 2018. But then could be months after that? Longer?

The earlier date could be one set by the Halifax FPSO...

Usually, if you are selected you'll transfer over to the trade and go on the BTL somewhere around the generic APS date...mid July'ish.

Just want to say thanks for the abundant information contained within this thread. My offer came through today so as of mid January I should be beginning my new career!

Congratulations!! I finish my medical in a couple weeks then up the chain it goes. Hope to hear sometime in the new year. Are you a direct entry or a transfer from another trade?

Reserve Infantry Sargeant so I believe I follow the same entry stream as Direct Entry.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it! Going to be starting out on the West Coast doing some OJT. Hope I can get the pre-req courses done so I can get loaded onto the BAQC in the summer. Does anyone have any idea if there is a back-log of candidates for it? As it is now a 6 month course the wife and I have some life planning that revolves around it as I won't know my final posting until it's done.

EEV is the SME on Winnipeg 'stuff'.  The course is now 6 months, but before when it was the BAQC and IAQC it was about 6 months as well;  I was away from Jan to Jul with 1 week between mine when I went thru the sausage machine.  Posting locations were given to us in the final stages of it all, same as now I suspect.

Enjoy your BTL time and the initial courses!

Yes there is a big backlog on BTL, I've heard 41 so far. The course is 6 months long, pending on delays wrt the flying phase. Be patient and learn the world of the RCAF aircrew while on OJT.

Article Link

In January 2018, the first group of AES Ops will graduate from 402 Squadron with the newly installed Procedural Crew Trainer.

What does that mean for new airborne electronic sensor operations (AES Ops) and the Squadron?

- The Squadron, based at 17 Wing Winnipeg, will cover 97 per cent of the training
- Time spent at time at the operational training units at 12 Wing Shearwater and 14 Wing Greenwood will be reduced
- New airborne electronic sensor operators will be more proficient at their jobs.

This new equipment is capable of emulating and simulating sensors and systems such as communications, acoustics, electro-optics/infrared, imaging radar system, electronic support measures, and magnetic anomaly detection.

BZ to the upcoming AES Ops graduates!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The PCT is a great addition to the initial training, and with MH world taking on the additional sensors the Cyclone has over the Sea King, makes sense to start exposing the kiddies to 'what we do and what we use' as early as possible.

I'm still not a 100% fan of the somewhat large amount of 'common to all' training;  I'd prefer to see the trade identify trainees for what platform they're going to initially, and what 'side' (dry/wet) if they are going LRP, and train them to that job.  I know, its easier said than done to make that happen, but that would get people to MOAT/OTU quicker and onto crews quicker, IMO.  Someone who ends up a NASO doesn't need to spend any time doing oceanography really IMO, likewise someone who goes wet doesn't need to spend trg time and dollars on RADAR/ESm/MAD.  Granted, I like anything that gets B cats on crew ASAP after living thru what I will call the 'lean years of late' where the line sqn was in the hurt locker and deployments were thought of as 'breaks from the chaos'.

If it were up to me, I'd probably close down the trg in Wpg, and download the initial occ training to 404 or 406 and then that would streamline the whole thing, and people could take the family with them on their posting.  Cost moves would be limited to the folks posted to the West Coast once they got their category.

However, based on reality, I think the PCT is upping the game from the TMTs we did when I went thru.  Always better to take steps ahead then steps back.  I'm sure the 402 guys are going to be busy now implementing the training after being busy getting everything in place. 

Another key part of the training is we teach level 0 analysis. We added FMV/SAR in the syllabus and we are in the process of adding VBS III as well. We’re also looking at having courses of 18 students starting next year. Lots of changes happening here at 402!

Any idea how long the BAQC+ would be if all that was added?

2 x 18 student courses...that would be nice.  I know LRP can use some new blood and there was talk about MH requiring 20 some x Sgt's in the near future...MAISR...etc.

5 months or so. There’s a technique to this madness. We split the course into 3 groups, one doing PCT, the others doing MVASP or fly phase, simultaneously. Then we swap the groups until everyone has completed all the phases.

Eagle Eye View said:
5 months or so. There’s a technique to this madness. We split the course into 3 groups, one doing PCT, the others doing MVASP or fly phase, simultaneously. Then we swap the groups until everyone has completed all the phases.

I know you guys are doing your best...I'm hoping there's a day in the future where, like I described above, guys and gals heading to a NASO world aren't wasting time on MVASP and ASOs aren't doing ESM/RADAR...

I know; never gonna happen!

You’re looking at this with an LRP eye. MH needs AES Ops qualified both Wet and dry. Our mandate is to provide that.

Back