• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Quick Check for RMC: Here are my current Gr.12 Marks...

• Thread starter Ruthless4Life
  • Start date
R

Ruthless4Life

I‘m applying ASAP when I get my transcript next week. Here are my term 1 marks:

English 12: 94%
History 12: 92%
Biology 12: 92%
Physics 12: 84%

But I am not that great in Physics and right now in 2nd term my current Phys 12 mark is 70%. Hopefully my mark may go up and I do well in my provincial exam. Marks from my other subjects should be around the same.

I‘m going into the Faculty of Arts program for a Bachelor‘s Degree. What do you think of my chances of acceptance?

I‘m also applying for tons of other civilian universities as well as RMC, just so I still have somewhere to go to if I don‘t get in.

Thanks.

PS. NO NEED TO BE CONSERVATIVE. BE BLUNT AND TO THE POINT PLEASE.

I am sure your grades are sufficient for acceptance to RMC.

However, unlike other universities there will be additional things that will be a deciding factor because this is not just an education (it‘s a career).

The additional requirements are as follows:
- be a Canadian citizen
- be 16 years old on January 1 of the year you enrol
- pass the medical
- pass the pre-enrolment tests
- pass the Basic Officers Training Course
- pass the enhanced reliability check

You‘re marks are definetly fine.
When I applied to RMC, my marks weren‘t that high and I still got accepted.
I didn‘t choose to go there, but if your marks are that high then there should be no problem especially if you‘re going for arts.
If I could make a suggestion though (god have mercy on my soul) If you are not doing engineering or sciences, it might be best to seriously check out a civi school, then go in as a DEO (direct entry officer) once you have a degree.
RMC is not known for their arts programs.
No offence to anyone who took arts there of course, this is just what I‘ve gathered after talking to officers who went to RMC and others who didn‘t.
In the long run it doesn‘t really matter where you went to school, because it‘s not as if you have walk around with a sign that says "I WENT TO RMC" or "I DIDN‘T" (haha)
Write the Registrar, or the RMC liason, just check out the website under "contact us" if you‘d like to make sure.
This isn‘t official news or anything either, this is just what you hear around the office.

Thanks for the replies.

That‘s intereting, Che. I‘ve never really heard of that one. Is it really THAT bad?? :eek:

I‘m not really school kind of person, and right now I‘m pretty much forcing myself to be motivated enough to make the grades since I want to have a Bachelor‘s degree even though I hate school. I‘m thinking if I choose a career in the army, I may as well go to RMC where the government pays for my studies.

Other than the fact that the government pays for RMC under ROTP, my parents have been against from the start from choosing RMC since they think it‘s not as good as well-known civie universities (I‘m from BC) such as UBC, SFU, UVic, or even go to Ontario and go to U of Toronto. I think I can make it to a good civie university according to my marks, but I don‘t think I can handle the civie world anymore. :threat:

:)

Man, if you are don‘t like school, do not jump into university.
I‘ve learned that a bachelors degree isn‘t something you just get.
Definetly look at civie school, it‘s alot more laid back then RMC, you‘ll get a better schooling (providing you take arts not engineering or aerospace science) and then you can jump into the military head first once you‘ve got the degree and a little more depth.
It also depends on your monetary situation too, if you can‘t afford civi school then by all means jump on the RMC train, but if you can or if your parents are willing go to civi school for at least a year. Join the reserves, do your training in the summer get qualified, then transfer to the reg force, Badda boom reserves pay half your tuition, plus you get trained in whatever field you want, plus you get your degree and you still get to do the army thing without it completely taking over your life.
Picking university is a huuuuge decision, its alot of money, alot of time and alot of stress. Subtract the money, multiply the stress and time and you‘ve got RMC.
Just do some serious school shopping, I did and I have never been happier, the worst thing that could happen is that you‘ll end up at RMC not able to go home wishing you‘d gone to civi school, then never joining the military at all.

Sorry for the grammatic fallacies and spelling errors in that message it was written in haste.

Sorry, Che, what do you mean by jumping into the military "head first?"

Actually, the reason I hate the civilian life is the lack of motivation and teamwork between one another. When I worked with BC Coms Reserve in work experience they gave us a "intro to basic" (yeah I know its the Reserves blah blah blah lol :D ) I really enjoyed it; even though it was really tough, it was very rewarding. I‘m guessing RMC, or military in general, is like that - lots of stress and hardwork, but there will always be teamwork and students motivating each other, watching each other‘s back, which is pretty much I‘m looking for. I don‘t think I enjoy being in the civie world, going into lectures few classes a week, unmotivated, don‘t know why I‘m doing this, etc. :(

My reccomendation, and I suppose i am a bit biased towards this, is that you go to civie school join the reserves, get all your training (as long as your in university you can go officer in the reserves if that‘s what you really want) get your degree, they‘ll pay for alot of it. Then you can go reg after if you really want. Don‘t let me talk you out of RMC for university if you think you need the motivation that‘s fine go for it.
You just have to be a little more cautious when it comes to picking schools.
by jumping head first I mean picking RMC and the military before you start exploring your other options in life. Because life gets a whoooole lot better after highschool.
For example, in my first year university, I travelled extensively, did my degree work, worked in the army part time as an officer worked at another job as a manager (payed for the other half of the degree that the army didn‘t) and played soccer, football, and rugby.
I don‘t think I would have done that much had I gone to RMC. And I think that I have a much broader deeper background that I bring to the table in the military.
If you want more info private msg me, I don‘t talk about my job specifics and education/training in the open forums.

Take Che‘s advice; university is not for someone who "hates" school. It was my misfortune to study mathematics, and when I hit my first course in abstraction via real analysis, I wanted to throw myself under a moving train. With the exception of the twisted ones, higher education is as welcome as a kidney stone in most people‘s lives. I cannot speak for Che, but in my time I was sleeping about four hours a night in order to keep up with my studies. Adding insult to injury: you have to pay for the PRIVILEGE of enduring four years of abuse. What? me bitter?! Yes, because with my degree and five cents I could probably buy myself a cup of coffee.

listen to che, he speaks words of wisdom. RMC is not all what you think it is, if it is the military aspect you are looking for you can get it equally in the reserve. if you dislike school now, you can be sure that you will not like RMC. it is highly structured, and large workloads that are un-necassary, university is stressful already. it will not be birthday cake, commradory, and sunshine all the time. they will not light a fire under your butt if you dont study, it is university, if you need that motivaion at this point in the game, you should reconsider your options. and if you dont think you will know why you are at a civie university, then RMC wont answer your question either, you have to want it. just really think about what you want to do, there is more than one way you can go after highschool, once you chose how you want to get there then follow it. (try to do as much as you can now, cuz when you get older, you cant do it anymore)

I hear ya Rosa!!! I went into Applied Mathematics (Control and Communications) at Queens University...it was **** to say the least. I wish I had done a little more research before starting ;)

I‘ve got the application forms and such. Now it‘s just a matter of filling it in. I‘m going to apply to a bunch of civie universities as well as RMC, and depending on which ones accept me, I will make my final decision then. It‘s always better to leave my options open.

I‘m wondering when will I find out if I got into RMC or not?

I wouldn‘t want to be waiting and waiting and when I receive the call I realize I‘ve already paid for tuition for the first semester in a civie university.

But by my experience of the standards of the speed things work in the CDN government, I wouldn‘t doubt that...

Civie universities send out acceptance letters in the first or second week of June unless you get early acceptance. You can either wait to choose between all your acceptances or choose them as they come in. If you choose University A but later decide to choose University B then your initial application to University A becomes nullified automatically.

Deposits for tuition / residence are not usually due until mid-August but by then you should have already finalized your decision so this shouldn‘t be a problem.

I don‘t know if RMC works along these lines but I would think that they do.

Originally posted by fusilier955:
[qb] if you dislike school now, you can be sure that you will not like RMC. it is highly structured, and large workloads that are un-necassary, university is stressful already. [/qb]
What do you mean by un-neccessary work loads?

A seperate question;
What exaclty does the "step test" consist of? What I picure in my head is running up soem big flight of stairs(Like the ones leading up to court houses and such) Is that what it is?
Also, what is the "hand grip test"? Do you just squeeze something?

Also, the fitness tests at RMC, does anyone know what would happen if for soem reson you were to fail one? Would they kick you out?

The step test is a very easy test. You stand in front of 2 steps. The tester will play music, and is sounds like this: "Up two three, Down two three", then it just keeps repeating. When it says "up" you step to the first step, when it says "two" you step until both of your feet are on the second step, then down until you are on the floor.

It is mostly to rate your heart rate after the test. Anyone can complete it, the tester just measures it and decideds if your heart beat is low enough so you can pass.

The grip test has you grip a measuring devise that reads your wrist strength. I can‘t remember if it is in pounds or kilo‘s. This is an easy test also, if you can crunch a pop can in one hand, you can pass this test.

@Jutes:This is a stupid question and am kinda shy to ask it but do you mean a full or Empty pop can? :eek:

As an ex-RMC‘er/ROTP cadet, (never finished, took my voluntary release), I can tell you that you better be sure you want to be at RMC before you go.

It is not as hard-*** as you would expect, but it isnt civilian university either. Ive talked to many graduates, and almost 80% have told be they do not value the time spent at RMC and would have preferred to go to civilian university, get a degree more catered to their liking and enjoy life a bit more while they were young, and then commission (or take ROTP civi).

Im right know toying of getting back in with the reserves at the officer level, or going ROTP civilian as I have a current admission pending with a civilian university...

Make the right choice for you.

Back