• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A few questions on the Engineer MOC

• Thread starter Thread starter Stout
  • Start date Start date
SprCForr said:
I figure Spider's MGB the most memorable. I should qualify that by saying it was for me. It happened just before lunch so of course the Base/School/Regiment saw the end of bridge sticking "waaaaay up"!  ;D

Edit: hukd on phonicks!

Bob's 100 + foot 3/1 Baillie at Slesse was a glorious sight, too!  ;D

Rodahn said:
as I never lost a bridge.... Even though I ended up instructing bridging after not having done anything in that area for 8 years.....

I have never lost one either. When i was posted to CFSME i was sent to BRWR so i made sure to review all the pubs before going on my first build as staff.

I never lost one either. I enjoyed the challenge of an EWBB roller layout on a virgin site.

A tip of my hat to Keith S. and Gary McN. for hammering it into my brain case showing me the correct way.

C'mon boys its ain't that hard, we had an infantryman as bridge commander during a gallop in... 91? in Pet. Maybe 90. Anyways the bridge crossed, we packed up, drank some beers, assaulted (like the police reports say, not battle reports) some reservists, and drove off to Cornwall for Op Feather. Ah the memories...

kj_gully said:
C'mon boys its ain't that hard,

Thats what i thought until i saw RETS trying to build a 12=bay DS MGB at the Swan lake dry gap......... ::)

Now now CDN Aviator I'm sure FETS had their own problems too.

Can never forgot on my QL3 when the DS Staff hauled our DS Link Reinforced MGB and forgot to take in the heavy nose, nearly tore the mounts off the HL  :o

CDN Aviator said:
Thats what i thought until i saw RETS trying to build a 12=bay DS MGB at the Swan lake dry gap......... ::)

:rofl:

resisting the urge to comment 

NFLD Sapper said:
BTW anyone have the publication number for the MGB PAM?

Crap; you expect me to remember that after 20+ years???? I can barely remember what I did yesterday......

Memory is the 2nd thing to go........... and I can't remember the 1st  :(  ???

Doh....

Nope, that's not lost - I know exactly where those have gone.... trapped at the bottom of the shower/bath

Dry gap or virgin site basic MGB builds (unrestricted SS or DS, DS LRS) are certainly not challenging. 

It was always the more difficult aspects that showed whether you knew the bridge or not; i.e two span with span junction built either simplified or general and challenging quirks such as a 15 bay DS LRS, very restrictive far bank teardowns.

MGB like Bailey is simple to design and construct if you had a brain, and during the build, stuck to the fundamentals and could quickly solve a problem.  A problem usually caused because a fundamental was not being respected.  Knowing a few tricks would help and save time.

But come on Gully, the only way someone untrained could build an equipment bridge is if someone else was pulling the string.  :salute:

Back