• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

6 soldiers, 2 journalists injured in Afghanistan

dangerboy

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
LORIA GALLOWAY

Globe and Mail Update

August 24, 2008 at 11:34 PM EDT

KANDAHAR, AFGHANISTAN — A Canadian armoured vehicle was blown off a road when it ran over an explosive device planted by the Taliban on Sunday, injuring six soldiers and two Canadian journalists.

One of the soldiers was seriously hurt. The rest of those in the vehicle walked away with scrapes and bruises and other minor injuries.

The explosion, which happened near the Demrasi area of the volatile Panjwayi district, hit a Canadian military supply convoy that was returning back to the Kandahar Air Field.

The journalists – Tobi Cohen of the Canadian Press and Scott Deveau of the National Post – had been observing a military operation in the Zhari district and jumped aboard the convoy about a half hour before the blast. They were with four soldiers inside the vehicle which rolled over when the device exploded.

A gunner who was thrown into the air was the most seriously hurt. The driver had to be cut from his seat.

The military does not released the names of injured soldiers.

Ms. Cohen said that in the confusion and panic after the explosion it was difficult to even get her seatbelt off and get out of the vehicle. And then “the fear was that we were going to be ambushed afterwards,” she said.

She took shelter in a truck and then returned back to base in another military vehicle. It was psychologically hard, she said, to travel the same dangerous road where the device had been buried.

“The concern is not about us because we're fine,” Mr. Deveau said after he arrived back at the Kandahar Air Field in a medical evacuation helicopter and received treatment for his injuries.

“The concern is about the other guys because they are messed up worse than us.”

It was the second attack on the Canadians in less than a week. On Wednesday, three Canadian combat engineers were killed and another was wounded when their vehicle ran over a similar device.

Article Link

Good article from Tobi Cohen on the incident.  http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/080825/national/afghan_cda_injured

From CTV Newsnet:    LINK

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

Canadian armoured vehicle hit by bomb in Afghanistan

Six Canadian soldiers and two journalists had a close call in Afghanistan after the armoured vehicle they were travelling in struck a roadside bomb.

25/08/2008 7:55:32 AM
(Tobi Cohen / THE CANADIAN PRESS)

CTV.ca News Staff

The incident took place Sunday as the group was returning to Kandahar Airfield from a forward operating base in Panjwaii District.

Four of the soldiers were airlifted to hospital with serious but not life-threatening injuries. A reporter for the National Post was also treated in hospital and later released.

Two other soldiers and Canadian Press reporter Tobi Cohen sustained only minor bruising in the incident.

"It struck the front-right side of the vehicle, flipped us over and fortunately all of us made it out alive," Cohen told CTV's Canada AM on Monday from Kandahar.

She said the incident hasn't made her question her dangerous assignment.

"I've talked to many soldiers who've cheated death countless times -- between IEDs and firefights with insurgents -- and they keep going back out there and doing their job," she said.

"I think that's what me and my fellow reporter are going to keep doing while we're here."

An insurgent group has claimed responsibility for the attack.

Cohen said there was no clear motive for the attack. However, she said it may have been related to a recent operation in neighbouring Zhari District in which dozens of Taliban militants were killed.

She said the incident hasn't made her question her dangerous assignment.

"I've talked to many soldiers who've cheated death countless times -- between IEDs and firefights with insurgents -- and they keep going back out there and doing their job," she said.

"I think that's what me and my fellow reporter are going to keep doing while we're here."

Sounds to me like 'they get it'.  :salute:

Speedy recovery to the troops and reporters.... :cdn:

Eye In The Sky said:
Sounds to me like 'they get it'.
At last....

Speedy recovery to all the injured - hope you're back at 'er quickly.

Flawed Design said:
What kind of vehicle was it?

Any discussion of specific vehicle types and damges falls into the category of OPSEC.

dapaterson said:
Any discussion of specific vehicle types and damges falls into the category of OPSEC.

Not really. Damage yes but vehicle type?
Every single Taliban in the area  knows what kind of vehicle was hit.

Give it a day or two and pictures are going to be all over the internet not to mention you can be sure the two journalists are going to do up stories on the incident where they will not only drop the type of the vehcle but probably go off on a tangent about some kinda short coming or the other.

What types of vehicles are moving in what combinations at what times for what reasons falls into OPSEC.

And while there may well be other sources of leaks on the 'net, this site has always erred on the side of caution.

Sorry to get off topic here but this everything is opsec blanket really gets to me sometimes. 
Do you honestly think the type of vehicle hit in plain view to Canadian soldiers, Canadian journalists, Taliban, the media (theirs and ours) and Afghan citizens a like at 1130 am in the morning is a matter of operatonal security?

this site has always erred on the side of caution.
Some members of this site also act like Camp Mirage is still a huge secret that no one knows about.  There's caution and being a bit silly, IMHO.

I appreciate the need for OPSEC, we've had Canadian media contrary to telling them not to, quietly video tape a set of our orders. Sometimes it's serious business. I just feel that some people at other times drop the OPSEC card a little to fast without any real requirement to.

Know what OPSEC is to me?  Those soldiers in the back of the vehicle were "discussing which vehicles are best able to withstand the impact from an IED" with the journalist. THAT'S something I'd prefer not discussed with the media.

Any discussion of specific vehicle types and damages falls into the category of OPSEC.
"It struck the front-right side of the vehicle, flipped us over and fortunately all of us made it out alive," Cohen told CTV's Canada AM on Monday from Kandahar.

Someone should have a chat with the PAFO over there.

The restrictions about Camp Mirage are primarily due to Host Nation sensitivities.  Or, translated into the vernacular, don't p*ss off the landlord.

For other items, yes, there are many breaches, and many disclosures of information that perhaps should be kept close hold.  That doesn't give carte blanche to do the same.

Again, I'd much rather err on the side of caution.  Information you need will flow through the chain of command (though you may sometimes have to tug it along a little).  Widespread disclosure and dissemination through this site serves no one's interests.

Respect goes out to those injured in todays attack, here's wishing a speddy recovery. :salute:

Those damn dirty Taliban fighters from Iran, can't wait to get the hell over there

pfl said:
Respect goes out to those injured in todays attack, here's wishing a speddy recovery. :salute:

Those damn dirty Taliban fighters from Iran, can't wait to get the hell over there

???

Far be it for me to disagree, but Taliban are Afghanistan and actually originally Pakastani. You must be confusing us with the Americans, who are in Iraq with Al-Qaeda, not Iran...

BinRat55 said:
???

Far be it for me to disagree, but Taliban are Afghanistan and actually originally Pakastani. You must be confusing us with the Americans, who are in Iraq with Al-Qaeda, not Iran...
There actually people from all over the 3rd world fighting for the Taliban in Afghanistan.

BinRat55 said:
???

pfl said:
There actually people from all over the 3rd world fighting for the Taliban in Afghanistan.
Yup. There have been Chechens killed there fighting with the Taliban, for what I know.

-Dead

pfl said:

Not to mention the UK, the United States and Canada. Unless you were being especially subtle with your characterization.

Back