• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

.50 cal rifle with siliencer in action

I think Ive learned more about silencers in one thread than in the last 20 years.  Thanks for the input, kudos to Infidel-6.  I had always been informed that silencers were always a detriment to accuracy and range, but this seems to prove the reverse!  Cheers!

Well, the more modern ones that "prove the reverse".  I did not know that even.

But I have been taught that the less than recent supressors inhibit accuracy and range.  But that is because of the lack of technology.  Please inform me if I am wrong, so I can beat the crap out the people who have told me so. and send mail bombs to authors.

The only 'can' I ever saw was the one 'GMN' made in Kurzell so he could use an Anschutz 22 to shoot rats along the banks of the Shuttern River.  It was the NVGs he was wearing that drew the attention of the Politzei.

Nice to know my mukluck insoles (felt and mesh) went for such a good cause!

;D

Centurian1985 said:
I think Ive learned more about silencers in one thread than in the last 20 years.  Thanks for the input, kudos to Infidel-6.  I had always been informed that silencers were always a detriment to accuracy and range, but this seems to prove the reverse!  Cheers! 

Yet, you're still calling it a silencer..

:p

Kal said:
Yet, you're still calling it a silencer..

:p

It's old school, son.  Some of us were using fire arms when you were still throwing tantrums for missing the fireflower on the original Mario Brothers. 
Old habits die hard. 

The older suppressor models - or some of the "discrete" pistols ones still in use for limited gov't activities still use rubber wipes that touch the bullet thus reduce velocity and accuracy.

Screen/Mesh and Greased filled - are homebuilt crap...

Even a good suppressor that is incorrectly mounted can cause baffle strikes whic can both destroy the can and ruin accuracy (at a min)

zipperhead_cop said:
It's old school, son.  Some of us were using fire arms when you were still throwing tantrums for missing the fireflower on the original Mario Brothers. 
Old habits die hard. 

Well, thanks for the lingo lesson, pops. ;)  I take it we're using pet names, right? 

There's no need to make it personal, I was only kidding..

As for the tantrums...  I'm still throwing them.  :D

Zowie! You learn something new every day. I didn't think it was possible to fit a suppressor to a .50 cal rifle.  I do have a couple of questions regarding suppressor/silencers.  Previous postings have drawn attention  that the Macmillian rifle is fitted with a suppressor, not a silencer. So, my first question is what is te difference between the two.  From what I've seen most sniper rifles, whether in military or police usage are bolt action. So, my second question is whether it’s practical to fit a suppressor to a semi-automatic or fully automatic rifle? For instance does rapid fire degrade the suppressor giving it a short life span? Is the suppressor capable operating properly when using rapid fire?

Retired AF Guy said:
So, my second question is whether it’s practical to fit a suppressor to a semi-automatic or fully automatic rifle?
yes. In fact the MP5, for example, has a variant that comes with the suppressor "integral" to it. The 'entire' barrel is essentially a suppressor. (Not very technical, and I'm sure I'lll get mocked for it, but you get the point, I'm sure.)

For instance does rapid fire degrade the suppressor giving it a short life span?
every round fired through a suppressor shortens its' lifespan, so the more rounds you fire, the faster it wears out.

Is the suppressor capable operating properly when using rapid fire?
yes.

DownloadAttach.asp

Used in a controlled manner the suppressor will out last a barrel -- however under a high volume of fire it is impractical as the heat can start the copper jacket to melt  *
I have blown a can up  ;D

now that is something I have never seen before...a support weapon with a suppressor...

The interesting thing is that a 750 grain round is still gonna dump a lot of energy into the intended applicant. With suppresor technology , the operator can fire more rounds with less fatigue.  Iam not sure if you d wanna use a suppressed platform in a  anti material roles as you d wanna maintain maxium velocity. all in all its quite the feat of engineering
hell even constructing a ''can'' for full auto is a feat. Using a suppresor for training is invaluable, fatigue to instructer and student are reduced and comunication is improved. I know alot of what iam saying is well know to users of firarms, just thought id add some points not comented on in previous posts. Kind of an aside.....anyone impovise a suppresor? .........been there done that, kinda fun when the action make more noise then the actual discharge.  ;D

Someone asked where they could get a chronograph. MY question is? Seeing as suppressor/silencers are completely forbidden in Canada what possible reason would you need one of these for this? Assuming you have an actual reason to buy one.
http://www.eabco.com/chronyshooting.htm
there's a link-dont assume it's a credible website though.

munky99999 said:
Someone asked where they could get a chronograph. MY question is? Seeing as suppressor/silencers are completely forbidden in Canada what possible reason would you need one of these for this?

Reloaders buy them to test their rounds.

Archers buy them to test their bows.

There's no definite connection between chronographs and illegal weapon accessories.

Paintballers have a set speed to which they are restricted to as well, and use a chronograph to set the gas to achieve that speed.

Wow Munky two informative post I have seen by you so far well done!  ::)

Well I know the use of them. For me I was using it for a physics experiment. But then I found this old pellet-bb gun which is very very very strong compared to the new ones from today. I had to check the muzzle v on the gun to make sure that it’s legal. However I didn’t have to buy one, I just “borrowed” my school’s equipment. Turns out that it wasn’t the gun per say. It was improper use and the ammo.

I know a person who does the Bow-Turkey thing but I don’t think he has a chronograph.

munky99999 said:
Well I know the use of them. For me I was using it for a physics experiment. But then I found this old pellet-bb gun which is very very very strong compared to the new ones from today. I had to check the muzzle v on the gun to make sure that it’s legal. However I didn’t have to buy one, I just “borrowed” my school’s equipment. Turns out that it wasn’t the gun per say. It was improper use and the ammo.

OK, so you understand that they have various applications, and have used them yourself.  So, what was the point of your earlier question?

munky99999 said:
I know a person who does the Bow-Turkey thing but I don’t think he has a chronograph.

He doesn't need one because he shoots a bow, but some people who use bows use chronographs.  If he buys his arrows ready made, he knows they all shoot in the same speed bracket (and, therefore, would probably never need a chronograpoh). But if he built his own arrows, or experimented with different bows, or bow configurations, or or bow/arrrow combinations, he might find one useful.

The point is, chronographs have more uses than checking bullet speeds for suppressor effectiveness.  You seem to understand this, yet still asked the question.

Oh from the sort of context of this thread and the vagueness of the poster who was asking for a chronograph. I was making the assumption that he wanted to test the difference between not suppressed compare to suppressed.

Back