• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

I think what some people want to hear is a concerted, disciplined and consistent message from the entire CPC saying:

"If elected, a Conservative government will not re-open the abortion debate.
That has been settled." Any candidate who does not toe that line during the campaign should be sacked.

This is where the LPC has held the advantage in the last three elections. Their messaging is consistent and disciplined. Can they keep it up this time remains to be seen.

That is literally already in the CPC policy and has been stated many times.

"86. Abortion Legislation: A Conservative Government will not support any legislation to regulate abortion."

I really don't know how that can be any more clear.

Canada not investigating the source of funds for these university take-overs is a crime in itself.
FWIW I work at post secondary institution that is currently dealing with a protest. The main person behind it is a well known activist (aka shit disturber) who just jumps from cause to cause on a whim. I dont believe for a second that theres some scary financial cabal or whatever behind this person's actions. It's more akin to a death cult where one charismatic crazy has roped in a bunch of other sad people looking to make sense of a world they arent equipped to handle.

"86. Abortion Legislation: A Conservative Government will not support any legislation to regulate abortion."

Progressives want surrender on their terms. That means no mention by anyone, ever, in Parliament.

Reactions: QV

CPC: We will not regulate abortion.
LPC: They want to take away a womens right to choose!

CPC: What is the government doing to combat the drugs and weapons in our hospitals?
LPC (Freeland): Mr. Speaker, I'd like to thank member opposite for asking that question as it's a very important.....topic. On this side of the house we support a womans right to choose and will be there for Canadians.

Reactions: QV

I get that. But in the last three campaigns, there have been CPC candidates who have publicly broken ranks on this issue, and others. That's where the messaging discipline is lacking.

I get that. But in the last three campaigns, there have been CPC candidates who have publicly broken ranks on this issue, and others. That's where the messaging discipline is lacking.

Then the CPC need to whip the shit out of that one. Who is the party whip right now?

How might a CPC government deal with this potential problem?

The 105-seat Senate is now almost entirely appointed by Trudeau

Hypothetically, not much they could do. The senate in recent history hasn’t tended to make significant changes to many laws; I can only think of a few. A more actively oppositional Senate would be a tough nut to crack.

I agree that a resolution this clear shows a good level of clarity re: what the assembled Team Blue party members wanted (or were at least OK with) when the resolution was adpoted. Also, as mentioned elsewhere in these parts, I think Team Blue knows this isn't an overall winner because if they thought it was, it would have been a hand they'd play pretty hard, as they've done so far with their biggies.

Like others smarter than me have said upthread, though, there's a lot of different pressures and tensions pushing and pulling on a PM at any given moment when they have to decide things: public opinion, caucus/cabinet pressure/concerns, party resolutions, platform commitments, events/crises/emergencies/the overall environment, political/electoral considerations, court decisions, interest groups/lobbyists, etc. Who can say what combination of factors can fall into place where the pull to do what the party masses wants is overcome by some other pressure or tension? That's why I'm optimistic, but still hold a "we'll see" attitude.

There is a zero percent chance of the abortion debate coming back. The only people who even bring it up are, ironically, the LPC and NDP.

You know it's ok for someone to be pro-life and be in public office. It by no means means anything more than their personal opinion. Which I must wager also probably aligns with the constituents who elected them.

Canadians are allowed to disagree with abortion. In fact a large number of Canadians do disagree with it.

An appointed Senate that is actively opposing the will of the elected Commons would quickly lead to calls for abolishment.

Yes please. Nothing like 105 political patronage appointments sucking from the Gov teat and being an unelected obstruction to a majority Gov.

#oursystemisbroken

Then the CPC need to whip the shit out of that one. Who is the party whip right now?
That's exactly what PP needs to do- announce that the centrist official CPC stance on certain social policies will be whipped.
Otherwise math and the prospect of a strong majority will open the door to the fearmongering, and threaten said majority.

He needs to show that he'll have Harper's control over caucus, or the attack ads doing the math applying the Campaign Life Coalition CPC approval rates to a 220 seat majority are going to write themselves, regardless of his own stance and that of the party

Agreed. I think it could be again, but right now it's pretty much an extension of the political parties in the HoC.
The Senate has always been an extension of the political parties. The so called "independent" ones are Liberals that JT tossed out of caucus when he became PM. They are LPC in reality.

Make it like jury duty that changes out with every election.
Been my position for a while 6 yr terms with changing appointment of 1/3 every 2 yrs. Selected at random from the voters list and pensioned off after the 6 yrs. People free to reject appointment

I'd like to see a reapportionment of Senate seats with half divided equally between provinces, half allocated by population (with some recognition of the territories), where half are appointed every provincial election.

That gives provincial representation plus continuity.

I'd like to see a reapportionment of Senate seats with half divided equally between provinces, half allocated by population (with some recognition of the territories), where half are appointed every provincial election.

That gives provincial representation plus continuity.

No appointments please. We've proven incapable of doing this without bias.

Back