• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

In other news, Alberta police learned from the Ottawa occupation not to allow encampments to get too comfortable.

The good thing about when the Ram Ranchers were squatting is that the operation to clear them out is probably being studied by other agencies. But definitely don’t let them get comfortable to begin with. Like the convoy, some of these have overstayed their welcome.

As mentioned before, here's what he said before the convention where the resolution was passed (source) ...
View attachment 85199
That said, as others have said, it's not likely to come up, but we'll have to see.

With respect I think you're trying to find fault. And that's fair I know PP is polarizing. He not my favorite, but hes the best of the flock ATM. I'm a Rona Ambrose fan, she's gone I know.

Having said that the press would a field day if he introduced some sort of abortion regulation and what I posted would be the center piece.

Sure it's not binding, buts it damn well the next best thing to binding on that topic specifically.

You realize the people in the convoy were Canadians, right?
I do. That doesn’t change my take on it.

I was only partially being facetious. They did think (probably still do?) that they are being disadvantaged.

They were just the wrong type of Canadians for some. And that's sad.
But in response to both, the students at U of C, McGill, etc are (at least a portion of them) Canadians too. So?

I was only partially being facetious. They did think (probably still do?) that they are being disadvantaged.

But in response to both, the students at U of C, McGill, etc are (at least a portion of them) Canadians too. So?

Freedom of expression is a hell of a drug.

Like the convoy people they are delusional.

I know exactly who these tent people are, a few are students who have the means (from mom and dad) to piss around with the protest de jur, not attend class, run the student newspaper and be a general pain in the ass to the administration, the rest are outsiders who are there to be more pains in the ass without the threat of school dismissal. Most of the students at these institutions are there to get a letter and GTFO and start making money. They in no way support the shenanigans of the tenters and just wish they`d disappear.

It was like this when I went to University in the 80`s and I can see that nothing has changed.

Most of the students at these institutions are there to get a letter and GTFO and start making money. They in no way support the shenanigans of the tenters and just wish they`d disappear.

It was like this when I went to University in the 80`s and I can see that nothing has changed.

I’m presently in my third undergraduate class since October 7th, and mentions of all of this have been practically nil. Not that there aren’t some students who care and focus on it - of course there are - but even in a legal research methods class that used LOAC and aerial bombing vs ISIS as a course theme there was only the slightest mention of the conflict early in the course, and that just as an example of ‘this sort of use or air power is still going on right now’.

Most students are absolutely just there to get their paper on the wall and leave.

I’m presently in my third undergraduate class since October 7th, and mentions of all of this have been practically nil. Not that there aren’t some students who care and focus on it - of course there are - but even in a legal research methods class that used LOAC and aerial bombing vs ISIS as a course theme there was only the slightest mention of the conflict early in the course, and that just as an example of ‘this sort of use or air power is still going on right now’.

Most students are absolutely just there to get their paper on the wall and leave.
Yea I went to "activist" Uni In Winnipeg and over the four years there it was same same. Like most extreme things today by either side the actual pure numbers of people that GAF or involved are lower than some folks and the media like to make out

Since the Morgentaler decision in the last century the Liberals have had ample opportunity to enshrine abortion rights into law but have failed to do so. Why?
Part of it I think is the charter challenges that would come with such a law.

Odds are the current status quo is more permissive than any written law could be as then the courts would have to rule when life begins and when that fetus/childs right to life supersedes the mothers right to choose.

There would likely be a point when they would have to rule abortions illegal as opposed to currently when its just viewed as a medical procedure. The moment it is enshrined in law it gives people something to legally challenge.

All Morgentaler did was strike down the laws criminalizing it, it never legalized it nor did it allow the legal challenges which pro-life groups, civil rights activists, and various others would enviably mount.

Part of it I think is the charter challenges that would come with such a law.

Odds are the current status quo is more permissive than any written law could be as then the courts would have to rule when life begins and when that fetus/childs right to life supersedes the mothers right to choose.

Why would the courts need to rule on that? The Criminal Code already defines when a child becomes a human being.

There would likely be a point when they would have to rule abortions illegal as opposed to currently when it’s just viewed as a medical procedure. The moment it is enshrined in law it gives people something to legally challenge.

You’re literally describing what Morgentaler struck down. Abortion was enshrined in law, as a crime.

All Morgentaler did was strike down the laws criminalizing it, it never legalized it nor did it allow the legal challenges which pro-life groups, civil rights activists, and various others would enviably mount.

Something is only illegal if a law makes it illegal. By striking down the law that made the act of performing an abortion a crime, Morgentaler legalized the act of abortion.

It is no more necessary to pass a law enshrining the legality of abortion that it is explicitly legalizing getting a tooth pulled, or pouring oneself a bowl of cereal in the morning. As a medical procedure, an abortion must be performed with all the care and caution due by any medical practitioner, but that’s it.

This nonsense about “they never actually legalized abortion!” is a red herring generally thrown out by anti-abortion activists looking for any wedge they can use to reopen any aspect of the issue.

If it’s not explicitly illegal, it’s legal.

This nonsense about “they never actually legalized abortion!” is a red herring generally thrown out by anti-abortion activists looking for any wedge they can use to reopen any aspect of the issue.
I’m pro choice to be clear.

The legalization is no more of a red herring than the claims of a CPC “Hidden Agenda”.

I’m pro choice to be clear.

The legalization is no more of a red herring than the claims of a CPC “Hidden Agenda”.
I’m not defining it in comparison to anything else, I’m just assessing it for what it is in its own right. There’s no further step that needs to be taken to ‘legalize’ abortion in any way shape or form.

Why would the courts need to rule on that? The Criminal Code already defines when a child becomes a human being.

You’re literally describing what Morgentaler struck down. Abortion was enshrined in law, as a crime.

Something is only illegal if a law makes it illegal. By striking down the law that made the act of performing an abortion a crime, Morgentaler legalized the act of abortion.

It is no more necessary to pass a law enshrining the legality of abortion that it is explicitly legalizing getting a tooth pulled, or pouring oneself a bowl of cereal in the morning. As a medical procedure, an abortion must be performed with all the care and caution due by any medical practitioner, but that’s it.

If it’s not explicitly illegal, it’s legal.
What I see happening is people would challenge it if written into law based off the child/fetus’ right to life, liberty, and security of the person.

Just because the criminal code has a definition of when someone becomes a human doesn’t mean it will be upheld when directly taken to court. Abortion was illegal in the criminal code and it was struck down.

Odds are it would end up with a third trimester ban unless there was a serious threat to the life of the mother as the fetus/child can survive outside the mother at that point.

I think what some people want to hear is a concerted, disciplined and consistent message from the entire CPC saying:

"If elected, a Conservative government will not re-open the abortion debate. That has been settled." Any candidate who does not toe that line during the campaign should be sacked.

This is where the LPC has held the advantage in the last three elections. Their messaging is consistent and disciplined. Can they keep it up this time remains to be seen.

Canada considers HAMAS a terrorist organization.

If you put on their identifier (keffiyeh), chant their slogans, stand in support, fundraise and occupy in their name, support the Oct 7 attack and protest for the eradication of the Jews, you're a HAMAS terrorist and a usefully idiot, so far as I'm concerned. Student or not.

If you're an international student, you should lose your visa and be sent home.

You should reap whatever social, financial and legal sanctions befall that group.

If your cause is secondary to your education and you can leave class for extended periods to protest, you should lose your student status and be expelled.

Canada considers HAMAS a terrorist organization.

If you put on their identifier (keffiyeh), chant their slogans, stand in support, fundraise and occupy in their name, support the Oct 7 attack and protest for the eradication of the Jews, you're a HAMAS terrorist and a usefully idiot, so far as I'm concerned. Student or not.

If you're an international student, you should lose your visa and be sent home.

You should reap whatever social, financial and legal sanctions befall that group.

If your cause is secondary to your education and you can leave class for extended periods to protest, you should lose your student status and be expelled.

Canada not investigating the source of funds for these university take-overs is a crime in itself.

Canada not investigating the source of funds for these university take-overs is a crime in itself.
We would never hear of such an investigation were it underway, same as we never hear about most things happening in the national security space. And that even assumes that protest camps at universities actually had a national security nexus that could be demonstrated on a sound evidentiary basis. There would need to be concrete evidentiary links to activities carried out in support of a terrorist organization. This stuff would happen within the CSIS-FINTRAC-RCMP triad, and only if criminal charges were laid would we ever know about it.

... Sure it's not binding, buts it damn well the next best thing to binding on that topic specifically.
I agree that a resolution this clear shows a good level of clarity re: what the assembled Team Blue party members wanted (or were at least OK with) when the resolution was adpoted. Also, as mentioned elsewhere in these parts, I think Team Blue knows this isn't an overall winner because if they thought it was, it would have been a hand they'd play pretty hard, as they've done so far with their biggies.

Like others smarter than me have said upthread, though, there's a lot of different pressures and tensions pushing and pulling on a PM at any given moment when they have to decide things: public opinion, caucus/cabinet pressure/concerns, party resolutions, platform commitments, events/crises/emergencies/the overall environment, political/electoral considerations, court decisions, interest groups/lobbyists, etc. Who can say what combination of factors can fall into place where the pull to do what the party masses wants is overcome by some other pressure or tension? That's why I'm optimistic, but still hold a "we'll see" attitude.

Last edited:
Back