• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2.4 Kilometer run times.

pspforester said:
We will be able to answer all your CSOR/JTF questions at the end of BMQ.  There is a class at the end that is specifically for the purpose of answering any questions the recruits in our (2 assigned PSP staff) platoon have.  There is not enough time during PT classes and morning runs to answer these types of questions, but the the things you can ask will be covered in an introductory lecture also done by us.  To answer one of your questions...the 2.4 km run is done on a track (if available) or outside. Have fun.  Cheers. :salute:

Thanks alot your responce is greatly appriciated I will make sure to wait untill then to mention anything about such a thing as the special forces.. okay well have a good day.

Zarathustra said:
Last week-end in Gagetown were the Legion Nationals, a track and field event for teenagers. The girls 15 years and below ran 2.4 in about 8:00. The boys do it in 7:30.

We need to keep training. :)
Wow, we should sign them up for the special forces as that would put near the top of the pack for applicants to JTF-2.  Are you sure about the distance?

On my ship's diver course I got it down to under 8 min. We had a PT test every monday morning, so i had lots of time to work on my 2.4 KM.

I think the unit record at FDU(A) is in the low 7 min or high 6 min range.

pspforester said:
Wow, we should sign them up for the special forces as that would put near the top of the pack for applicants to JTF-2.  Are you sure about the distance?

It would be amusing to see how much they can bench or ruck.. Running is important, but I prefer to be good at working out and rucking as well.
It takes a lot of effort to have a high overall fitness level.

Your ability to do the 2.4km run in under 9 minutes doesn't matter too much unless you are applying for Special Forces.. Which if you were doing you would have a lot more to worry about than just a small run. I haven't timed my 2.4km since basic.

If you want to prepare for basic, work on increasing your run distance to over 5km in a reasonable time. While you are doing that, work on your pushups and situps and pullups. You aren't much good if you can run like the wind but when everyone is doing pushups you can't even hold yourself up.

pspforester said:

The numbers come from the 3000m run. There was a coach next to me writing the time for each laps and I noticed the 2400m time. But check the final results, 7:30 looks pretty accurate.

Men 3000 Meter Run 15 & Under
=======================================================================
  Legion Nat: # 8:47.13  1983        Scott Faulds - ON                       
    Name                    Year Team                    Finals  Points
=======================================================================
  1 Evan Esselink            92 Ontario                9:07.16 
  2 Michael Middlemiss        92 Saskatchewan          9:08.19 
  3 Jonah Doucette            92 Nova Scotia/NU        9:14.32 
  4 Jeremy Labbe              92 Quebec                9:27.88 
  5 Michael Loshack          92 Alberta/NT            9:31.94 
  6 Ryan Cassidy              93 New Brunswick          9:34.15 
  7 Daniel Howells            92 Manitoba/NWOnt        9:57.04 
  8 Eric Thacher              92 Manitoba/NWOnt        10:06.92 

http://www.legion.ca/asp/docs/sports/RESULT2007.htm

But this is a national level competition. It's pretty exceptional people. And as someone mentioned, they are very specialized meaning their ruck march time might not be so great.

Tipperary said:
It would be amusing to see how much they can bench or ruck.. Running is important, but I prefer to be good at working out and rucking as well.
It takes a lot of effort to have a high overall fitness level.

Your ability to do the 2.4km run in under 9 minutes doesn't matter too much unless you are applying for Special Forces.. Which if you were doing you would have a lot more to worry about than just a small run. I haven't timed my 2.4km since basic.

If you want to prepare for basic, work on increasing your run distance to over 5km in a reasonable time. While you are doing that, work on your pushups and situps and pullups. You aren't much good if you can run like the wind but when everyone is doing pushups you can't even hold yourself up.
I was being a bit sarcastic there...those are good times obviously, but we were talking about people in the military and not track athletes.  I am well aware of the fitness program for basic (and training for the specialty tests) since I am responsible for administering it/them.  You are definitely right about the push-ups...the summer BMQ had almost 1/3 fail in their first test...come prepared.

pspforester said:
You are definitely right about the push-ups...the summer BMQ had almost 1/3 fail in their first test...come prepared.

PSP, don't want to highjack here but speaking of push-ups, is there a new directive coming from Ottawa? The staff in St-Jean and my own base are getting a little anal about 90 deg flex. They fail people who would make good soldiers because they have a think chest and can't bend elbows to 90 deg without touching the ground.

pspforester said:
You are definitely right about the push-ups...the summer BMQ had almost 1/3 fail in their first test...come prepared.

Damn! That's a little better than I went through, because we had nobody fail course as a result of pushups, even the guy who couldn't do 20 at the END of course..

I'm glad the standards are changing.

Rick Ruter said:
PSP, don't want to highjack here but speaking of push-ups, is there a new directive coming from Ottawa? The staff in St-Jean and my own base are getting a little anal about 90 deg flex. They fail people who would make good soldiers because they have a think chest and can't bend elbows to 90 deg without touching the ground.
  The protocol is back of the arms parallel to the floor, not 90 degrees (as there are different arm lengths).  As for the body touching the ground, if it is incidental, then it isn't a problem.  ie: someone with a large chest or stomach.  As long as they are not pausing at the bottom, it should be counted.  This is in the protocol we read out at the beginning of all Expres testing.  St. Jean should be following the same.  As for all the failures here, we're talking about no strength at all.  Some having a hard time pushing up from the floor for the first one.  The bottom line, recruits are not coming prepared.

No matter how much we tell em to get fit before going to St-Jean, most of them think they can pass on gut-check alone. Sometimes I have applicants pump push-ups in my office to show them what to expect.  ;D You should see the look on their faces.  :eek:

Back