• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Yukon Fur Hat

Tighter weave or thinsulate on the inside.

The current weave does nothing in any type of windy environment!  That's why many people prefer wearing the fleece ones.

Strike said:

The current weave does nothing in any type of windy environment!  That's why many people prefer wearing the fleece ones.

Understood.  I didn't see it that way.  I have to admit that I like a little ventilation in my toque, but then again, I don't have to spend hours on end in really harsh conditions.

Strike said:

Not to mention the size of the thing.  It is quite funny to see troops with their toques and helmets on.  It almost negates the purpose of the helmet as the size forces the helmet to sit much much higher.  To be fair though there is issued poly type stuff that one can wear in the field that takes up less room under the helmet.

Pusser said:
Please explain.  We have a toque for operational wear.  How can it be improved?
Well for one thing, it could be friggin warmer!!!!!  I find the knit is so loose the GD wind manages to penetrate to the skin.  I purchsased a OD fleece toque when I was doing work up training in Wainwright in 07.  It was so much warmer than the traditional toque.  I still wear it today in mufti as opposed to any other choice.

Pusser said:
Understood.  I didn't see it that way.  I have to admit that I like a little ventilation in my toque, but then again, I don't have to spend hours on end in really harsh conditions.
I just wore mine(wool toque) for 48 hours on ex with cadets  as I misplaced my fleece one, now my hair hurt's that's why I hate it.

Did not see Strike's or MJP's responses earlier.  Bang on, especially Strike's!  72 Jeep's as well.  I'll also add not only the touque but the Balaclava to my hate list. 
Pusser, you have hit right where there might be a disconnect between higher management and the coal face
"but then again, I don't have to spend hours on end in really harsh conditions"
.  I have been both out in the field in Wainwright in winter's fury and out in the North Atlantic in winter during hours long deck evolutions such as RAS.  I know for shipboard use we need to keep FR in mind, but there needs to be a better way of keeping warm.  I love the new poly the Army uses, far superior to the present gear the Navy is stuck with IMOP.  As for what is out there that would meet with our needs, I don't know that's not my part ship area of SME.  I'm just a coal face kind of guy.

PMedMoe said:
I originally ordered a medium, which was too big.  I sent it back and received a small.  Too small.  :-\

Nice to know their sizing is consistent with the rest of our stuff.  ;D

There was nothing wrong with their sizing plan.  The likely consideration was that fur hats would be worn more often in Ottawa than in other locations that don't wear DEUs as much.  To accommodate the most common NDHQ head sizes, the medium has room for the inevitable swelling of those who mistakenly think they have reached a position of influence; the small has less room for the large number of pinheads that seem to end up there.

IMHO...

The Yukon hat would be suitable to wear in garrison and in the field in rear echelon sedentary ops.  Much warmer than a touque, but not suitable if you're exerting much energy.

Although I can see dress regs come out saying something like "Ear flaps will not be down unless it is colder than -10C, and when it is colder than -10C, ear flaps must be down"...

My  :2c:

jollyjacktar said:
Did not see Strike's or MJP's responses earlier.  Bang on, especially Strike's!  72 Jeep's as well.  I'll also add not only the touque but the Balaclava to my hate list. 
Pusser, you have hit right where there might be a disconnect between higher management and the coal face .  I have been both out in the field in Wainwright in winter's fury and out in the North Atlantic in winter during hours long deck evolutions such as RAS.  I know for shipboard use we need to keep FR in mind, but there needs to be a better way of keeping warm.  I love the new poly the Army uses, far superior to the present gear the Navy is stuck with IMOP.  As for what is out there that would meet with our needs, I don't know that's not my part ship area of SME.  I'm just a coal face kind of guy.

The Light Weight Thermal Headgear (army green neck gaitor and balaclava) are good kit IMO.  I use similar stuff for my civie winter outdoor kit, a "beanie", neck gaitor and balaclava, all from Marks Work Warehouse.  I have civie 'toques' as well but they aren't big Cat In The Hat types like the issued one you have to roll up or walk around looking like you're a member of some artic reggae band, and are trying to keep your dreadlocks frost-free. 

My issued togue was getting a bit ratty looking, so I tossed it out and used a new one this year.  Not sure if they are made from the stuff fibers/material as before, but this one seems to slide up my head little by little.  I don't like it, and except on a rare actually cold day, I've just stuck with my beret this winter.

Blackadder1916 said:
There was nothing wrong with their sizing plan.  The likely consideration was that fur hats would be worn more often in Ottawa than in other locations that don't wear DEUs as much.  To accommodate the most common NDHQ head sizes, the medium has room for the inevitable swelling of those who mistakenly think they have reached a position of influence; the small has less room for the large number of pinheads that seem to end up there.

:rofl:

Jim Seggie said:
Received mine. Amazing we can develop and issue a fur hat for DEU....but fail miserably when it comes to toques for operational dress, ie winter.
I wonder if there has ever been a UCR done on the combat dress toque.  A lack of such formal complaining may be why we still have it.

Got mine today... wore it around the house. Wife was patting it cause I have a shaved head. Then she read the tag inside, and FREAKED OUT. Pure classic. I order a 2XL so it covers my eyes. Hehehehe... No one will not, or ever take me seriously.

[quoteh :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: author=TN link=topic=102811/post-1115201#msg1115201 date=1329354883]
Got mine today... wore it around the house. Wife was patting it cause I have a shaved head. Then she read the tag inside, and FREAKED OUT. Pure classic. I order a 2XL so it covers my eyes. Hehehehe... No one will not, or ever take me seriously.
[/quote]

Love your warped sense of humor!

MCG said:
I wonder if there has ever been a UCR done on the combat dress toque.  A lack of such formal complaining may be why we still have it.

Good point.  The Tac vest was like that (as I know you know) in that most folks hated it but very few people put in substantive UCRs.

I got my hat a while ago.  I love it.  Mmmmmmm....fur.....

Got my hat yesterday in the mail...I think I'll be wearing it all weekend now..

I walk in Subway with it and did my Borat special.. Wife is now embarrassed.

TN said:
I walk in Subway with it and did my Borat special.. Wife is now embarrassed.

Made mine cringe when I first got it and wore it. It's totally coming to Kabul if I can find room in my luggage.

Got mine in the mail. Made wife open it. Conversation went like so:

Wife: Logistik Unicorp... what is this?
Me: I dunno... open it?
*opens box*
Wife: Oh dear God what is this?
Me: Yukon Hat, looks pretty cool eh?
Wife: It looks like a cat...

2 year old son walks into the living room

Son:Kitty! Meow! *pets hat*
Me: No son its a hat
Son: Kitty hat! Meow *puts hat on head*

*son runs off meowing*