• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Your "RIGHT" to vote *YANK*

Scott

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
I am a Nova Scotian working in Alberta for the winter. I was here when the election was called and planned to vote for my candidate in my home riding, simple thing to do, right? When my notice was received in NS, my girlfriend phoned me with the information I needed to contact Elections Canada so I could vote for my riding in NS from Alberta, not an uncommon thing. I called Elections Canada to clarify the process and was forwarded to the Grande Prairie, AB Elections Canada Office. The gentleman I spoke to was very jovial in telling me that I could drop by any time during their business hours to cast my vote right up until the polls close on election day, "Just come on in and vote, it's that easy, we'll take care of the rest!" he said.

NOT

This evening I went to vote as I may be away on Monday and do not want to leave it to chance. I arrived at the Elections Canada office in the city and was met by some very nice ladies who I informed of my intentions to vote for a candidate in Nova Scotia.

Stunned Silence and confused looks.

I was informed that I could have voted up until Tuesday but that now I was SOL (Obviously not verbatim) I asked if there was any way I could vote and they told me that the only option left was voting in my home riding at my assigned polling station on election day. Hrrmmph. The ladies agreed that I had been misinformed and when I told them that I had spoken to a male they said that there were only two men working in that office. I'm glad I didn't see any men while I was there! Thank God that my Father taught me not to swear in front of a lady because I was ready to lay a strip out right there!

So, I come home and call Elections Canada, they say that someone will get back to me. I plan to compose an e-mail to Elections Canada and my MP, I am sure he'll be interested to know how he lost out on a vote.

Maybe this seems like an over reaction to some but I take very seriously my right to vote. Elections Canada and all the politicians want voters, here I am, can't do a damn thing without a plane ticket but here I am!! I was told at the office that there were ads everywhere telling people of when this magical cut off date was, damn, I didn't see any! Maybe I just should have been told when I called them!

Towards the end of my visit to the Elections Canada office I had calmed down and was talking with the ladies, one of them is from NS, and as I was leaving I told them that if my preference of candidates loses his riding by one vote that I will be back! You have to have some humour somewhere!

join the league of the disenfranchised...

I have a Fla. DL - I am in Afghanistan.  I was told I am uneligible to vote - needless to say Revenue Canada will not be getting a slice of Kevin's contractor earnings...

I'd probably not be so mad were they to let me go tax free. Federal Gov't loves us Alberta guys earning way more than we should.

In Australia, if you don't vote you are FINED, so if you are over 18, you gotta do it. That is for all elections, local, state and federal. No escaping it.

Cheers,

Wes

I just heard that today, Wes, while I was at the Elections Canada office speaking to them about this very situation.

I see one major problem though, what happens when someone goes into a polling station and votes for the Elephant Party simply because he's choked that he may get fined if he doesn't cast his ballot? Is that how it should work?

The point I could make for this is that if one is interested in the proceedings then they have the option to vote for who they believe will best run the country for them. I see this policy as taking that power away from those people in a way. Yes you get good turnout, I am unaware of what the old turnout stats are, but at what cost?

You being there would probably help to best answer this question: What exactly do the masses think of this? The woman I was speaking with told me that you guys get around 90% turnout now? So is it a good thing or not? Does it work? Are there disgruntled groups?

I have hard that the fine is 50 bucks, any truth to that?

Another good question would be that if it is your right to vote then would it not also be your right to choose to abstain?

"I have a Fla. DL - I am in Afghanistan.  I was told I am uneligible to vote - needless to say Revenue Canada will not be getting a slice of Kevin's contractor earnings..."

- Since I am quite sure that any Kadr types in custody anywhere on this planet gets to vote for a Cdn MP, pls tell us why YOU can't?

"You being there would probably help to best answer this question: What exactly do the masses think of this? The woman I was speaking with told me that you guys get around 90% turnout now? So is it a good thing or not? Does it work? Are there disgruntled groups?"

- This is a smokescreen for citizen control, that's all.  You get a real good census and find out where people live all in the name of democracy.  Balls.  It's all about tracking down the 'blanks' in society.  The people who don't like to be found.

Tom

Scott said:
You being there would probably help to best answer this question: What exactly do the masses think of this? The woman I was speaking with told me that you guys get around 90% turnout now? So is it a good thing or not? Does it work? Are there disgruntled groups?

I have hard that the fine is 50 bucks, any truth to that?

Another good question would be that if it is your right to vote then would it not also be your right to choose to abstain?

Hi Scott, those who were born into this know nothing else, and thats just how things are run here. Yes its at least $50 fine. You can always spoil your ballot if you want to, but must be checked off. If you have a good reason when the fine notice comes, you dont have to pay. THis ensures most vote, and I dont mind it.

It will be 10 yrs since I got my citizenship next yr, and I vote always, never missing a vote. I have earned my citizenship here, and exercise my votes always.

Cold beers,

Wes

Wesley H. Allen said:
Hi Scott, those who were born into this know nothing else, and thats just how things are run here. Yes its at least $50 fine. You can always spoil your ballot if you want to, but must be checked off. If you have a good reason when the fine notice comes, you dont have to pay. THis ensures most vote, and I dont mind it.

It will be 10 yrs since I got my citizenship next yr, and I vote always, never missing a vote. I have earned my citizenship here, and exercise my votes always.

Cold beers,

Wes

I hadn't understood that this had been going on for some time, I was under the impression that it was only a recent change to the way things are run. I can see the Government's point enacting this law, I wasn't questioning it at all - not that I agree with it though. I vote, when allowed ;) as a matter of choice and because I believe that it is my civic duty (arguments to the contrary will fall on deaf ears and only serve to hijack this thread, don't bother) I don't harangue people who do not vote I just tell them that I don't feel they have the right to complain if they can't be arsed enough to make the choice.

Spoiling the ballot, well that may show the government if their program is working or not, if you have 30% turnout and it jumps to 90% after enacting this law but 60% of your ballots are spoiled then what did you achieve? Probably you just wasted money. But maybe it works out, it may force people to become more informed, to get out there and get informed. All I am saying is that I can see the two sides of it and agree with neither nor do I have a suggested solution.

I worked for Elections Canada during the last election in a hospital. There they will let you vote for/in any riding you can prove residency in, more or less no questions asked. Perhaps you could try going to a hospital and speaking to the Elections Canada staff. My dad is doing the exact same thing as we have two homes, but are registered voters in Vancouver (primary residency, he's just outside Nanaimo)

Good luck, and happy voting.

If you're still in Canada, voting should be relatively easy.  I just voted today.  Showed up with the registration card, which clearly states, in both official languages, that THIS CARD IS NOT ID.  Attempted to show my ID to the scrutineer, who, as during the last election, declined to view it.  They were told they didn't need to she told me.

Interesting.  So, I'm holding a registration card which is NOT ID, and could have been stolen out of any mailbox in the past few weeks.  You don't need to check my ID, so I should be able to vote multiple times...or vote without citizenship, etc., etc.

Does anyone see the logic to this?

I've only scrutinized for a provincial election, but if it is the same Federally as it is here in BC the scrutineer at the actual polling point can't challenge you once you've been accepted with the card.

Gunnar said:
Interesting.  So, I'm holding a registration card which is NOT ID, and could have been stolen out of any mailbox in the past few weeks.  You don't need to check my ID, so I should be able to vote multiple times...or vote without citizenship, etc., etc.

Does anyone see the logic to this?

I had the same concern when I voted. I figured that my ID wasn't needed because the people who were working for Elections Canada (although not the people who checked my card) recognized me.  I was ready with my ID but they didn't even glance at it.  A little odd I must say, considering I need to have two pieces of ID scrutinized just to buy a beverage. 

Excellent point Calvin;
I went to vote today, with no card and my drivers license. They didn't ask to see either, they asked for my name and address and that was enough, I could have gone through any number of times with any number of names.

If I go to the liquor store on a Friday night, to buy a case of Keith's they'll ask for ID and stare at it for about 20 seconds before ringing me through.

"If I go to the liquor store on a Friday night, to buy a case of Keith's they'll ask for ID and stare at it for about 20 seconds before ringing me through."

- 'Kieth's', no wonder.  Heineken, you buy in person, 'Keith's' you should consider sending your manservant for.

:D

Tom

nono Tom you've got it all wrong,
I haven't seen that kind of Keith's since I was in the navy and Captain Highliner asked me if I'd ever been "been to sea", which is where I purchased my manservant.

Sorry Scott, take your thread back.

Wesley H. Allen said:
In Australia, if you don't vote you are FINED, so if you are over 18, you gotta do it. That is for all elections, local, state and federal. No escaping it.

Cheers,

Wes

Hi Wes,

That would be against the Charter of Rights here, or at least violating some Religious/Ethnic Groups rights.

I'll haze rt a guess, that not a day goes by, that you doubt if you made the right choice.

Cheers.

The no shows are about 40% here and Nationally, according to todays results.

Elections Canada ought to have their collective head examined.

Some moron from their 1-800 number told me that I could come in at anytime on the Thursday before the election to register in my riding.  Well, I showed up on that Thursday only to be told that that the voter registration had stopped a couple of hours earlier. 

When I expressed my disgust at this miscommunication I was told I was welcome to file a complaint.  When I asked for a complaint form, I was told there were none available.  When I asked to speak to a person of authority, I was told to call the 1-800 number again. 

I almost forgot to mention that the enumerator could barely speak English-or French.  Of course, had I been able to speak Cantonese, I am sure the process would have gone a lot smoother.  :threat:

At least I got to cast my vote by registering on election day at the polling station...see ya later, Anne McClellan-actually, I hope I never hear from that mindless fembot again. :blotto:

Back