• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

You know you are past your expiriy date...

I think so but they were really differnet programs. SYEP was for reservists. YTEP IIRC ( and if not I claim Mess Tin Syndrome) was Regulars

Actually, YTEP were actually Class C Reservists brought into full time service as an employment program.  They were trained on Reg Force courses at Reg Force schools (back in the day when we kept all these things separate).  Many of them ended up transferring into the Regular Force at the end of their one year commitment.

SYEP was a Class B summer program run out of Reserve units.

You're past your expiry date if you remember:
-"Cornwallis Ho!"
-Captain Paul near having a heart attack at morning divisions because there were black lace panties up the flag pole.
-Living in a cabin in Wren Block
-Being called Wren
-Night Study because you didn't increase your Morse Code copying skill to the required level for last week.
-Racal receivers, Adonis, teletype machines and -
-CFS Mill Cove - before the accommodation block was completely finished.

Hawk

Forgot the CWAC (Quack) and we called Airwomen WD's - they hated it!

Hawk

Hawk said:
Forgot the CWAC (Quack) and we called Airwomen WD's - they hated it!

Hawk

Which reminds me:

When your ID card actually carried your SIN number and your rank was followed by a "FEMALE".

LOL.

And the posting/course messages read: "Pte (FEMALE) Wightman, VL ..."

Your official number was NOT your SIN - anyone as ancient as me remember theirs? I do!!

Hawk

ArmyVern said:
Which reminds me:

When your ID card actually carried your SIN number and your rank was followed by a "FEMALE".

I had a friend who though his said MAN because he was born in Manitoba.  ;D

ArmyVern said:
And the posting/course messages read: "Pte (FEMALE) Wightman, VL ..."

Don't remember that, but I do remember Pte (W).....  for the purpose of assigning quarters.

Hawk said:
Your official number was NOT your SIN - anyone as ancient as me remember theirs? I do!!

Hawk

Nah, I'm too young for that. While my dad had that memorized, I was diligently rattling off his name, rank, and social insurance number (426 011 ...) during drills in Lahr ~ just in case the big red machine came bounding across the Fulda gap.

When working on a CF 100 meant you were out on the apron servicing a Clunk. 8)

Not trying to figure out how to fill in a leave pass. ;)

Hawk said:

Hawk

Your service number began with an S (NCM) or Z (officer) or, if you were a nurse, N.

Old Sweat said:
Your service number began with an S (NCM) or Z (officer) or, if you were a nurse, N.

The second letter of your army service number told everyone at which PD (personnel depot) you had enlisted. There wasn't much rhyme or reason to the letter assignments. The exception was that a ZP or SP number indicated a member of the old, old Permanent Force - someone who had enlisted before 1939!

....when it took 16 pages to notice "expiriy" is spelled wrong.  ::)  ;)

You actually spent four years as a Pte.

A L/Cpl was GOD.

L/Cpls commanded tanks.

A car was a luxury that few could afford.

Officers drove VW Beetles, and the Troopers drove Dodge Chargers.

An expensive Stereo had a 12" Reel to Reel.

Beta was the best Video recorder.

Draft came in a twelve oz glass and the cost was 2 for a quarter.

The Arty Jrs in Pet attracted all the women from Renfrew County

Chez Charles and Freddies were the places to be when all the Bars closed in Ont at 1230 AM.

Wed night was "Ladies Night" at the Wilno Tavern.

Hawk said:
You're past your expiry date if you remember:
-Night Study because you didn't increase your Morse Code copying skill to the required level for last week.
-Racal receivers, Adonis, teletype machines and -
-CFS Mill Cove - before the accommodation block was completely finished.

Hawk

You just brought back nightmares of CW tapes and Mod 28 keyboarding...    :'(

I can probably still tune a RACAL in my sleep, though...after having done it enough times.

Back