• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

York U: Flower Power, Pray for Peace!

2332Piper said:
Have yourselves a good laugh troops. These are the minutes from the meeting where my CSA voted in their silly new anti-military policy.

http://www.csaonline.ca/aug10-2005.doc
Note to CF C of C: If the university of Guelph is ever attacked, flooded, snowed-in, out of power etc... the students of the CSA volunteer to carry out any necessary action and take overall responsability of operations. At their own expense...  ;)

Have fun kids !!!  ::)

Rest assured guys!

Rumour has it the plan at Unigoo is to use the wannabe "student leaders" in the event of any sort of real disaster:

-in the event of flooding as "human sandbags"
  -in the event of fire they're to be grasped by the feet and used to beat out the flames.
  -in the event of severe cold as a reliable source of hot air.

Until then they'll be used as a reliable source of comic relief.

"The reason campus politics are so savage is that the stakes are so small".  >:D

Anon

pbi said:
Well: I hope nobody thinks that there is anything new about this. It's in the nature of young university students in hte Western world (esp North America) to question things, especially authority and its agents like the police and the military. It's also in their nature to have very little real wisdom or life experience to back up their opnions. Most of them have no idea what we (or anybody else...) are doing in Afghanistan, what the situation is there, etc. And, of course, anti-Americanism is served for lunch in university dining halls. It is almost gospel, I think.

That's what it is: ignorance, plain and simple.

Uniform = bad.

Give them a few years to grow up, see the real world, learn for *themselves* rather than from Adbusters magazine, and they'll realize that the world isn't as black and white as it now seems. 

Canada is the "Bubble-Boy" of the international Community.

Tom

I think universities have, at least since the 1930's, been a place for people to make all sorts of bold, idealistic statements such as "resolved that no member of this House will fight for King and Country" (or words to that effect) which is over 70 years old now. University gives peope a place to posture and talk about "responsibility" and 'duty" without really having much of either except what they choose to assume. Maybe there is nothing wrong with that: I don't know.

In the end, govt will make its decisions based not on what university students have to say, but on the political realities in Canada: how will it play in Quebec, what will traditional Liberal constituencies do in response, and how much risk can we take with the US without suffering economic punishment that will splash back on the Govt? High-flung sentiments of any kind have little to do with it, I think.

Cheers

I'd just like to say, don't judge all the university students based on those student association leaders. I was in universities from 1996 to 2002 and the students then gave very little attention to their associations. The biggest association meeting I have seen had 500 students in it out of a total of 25 000. The minimal number of student required for a meeting to be valid was "the number of student present in the room". They didn't dare write down a number because they feared missing it too often.

Most university students are there to study, party and get a degree. They are looking forward to their next coop term at IBM or their job in that big law firm. I stick to my theory that it's mostly social sciences students with not much job to look forward to who make the more noise about capitalism, the military and such. But they are a small fraction of the total.

Lookee what I found on nos amigos at York.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/image/cops/

(don't think this has been posted before). Ain't that dandy.

The person that grabbed the gun from the police officer is very, very lucky to be alive!

If someone takes a police firearm they (other officers) have a legal right to shoot the person doing it as he/she is ( in the eyesof the law) presenting an attempt to use deadly force.

Of course that's probably what the protesters wanted though...Make the cops out to be the baddies. The media would've been all over that.

Good for TRPS in showing the incredible restraint and not kicking the living shit out of the protesters as they desered to have done to them after behaing like that!

Kudos to the officers involved.  (Not sure how many would haunt this site...)  Great professionalism in handling the situation demonstrated by all, not just the officer who's gun was nabbed.  Congrats, guys. 

I think someone needs to drop a dime, and tell the Hell's Angels that these brain trust types are cutting in on their dope action.  Sure helped to clean out those little arsepick Northside Boys in Edmonton.... >:D

Just remember that a large dose of reality (in the form of student loans) is waiting for these kids as soon as they get their precious political science degree.  And they really are kids, I wouldn't worry too much about anything they say.

I too are unconcerned with what they are saying. It is their right after all. What I'm more concerned about is their actions. They were really asking for a new asshole. Furthermore, the author mentioned that many of the protesters were from Montreal and the U.S. While it doesn't surprise me that their "movement" is widespread, but rather that they were organizing a tour of sorts outside their respective campuses, and that they were allowed to do come to a different university and disrupt its activity like they did, with classes being cancelled, et all.

I remember the cop thing.   A friend of mine was attending classes at York when that incident took place, there is also a video floating on the net (google cops york university riot or protest, and you should find it).   From what she said the cops were incredibly restrained considering it was an illegal protest in the first place.   She didn't even know what start the whole melee, all she saw was the cops attempting to break it up, and then all hell broke lose as they tried arresting the Darwin Candidate, and people started interferring.   This incident as well as the booting of the CF are why York is not a university I would ever consider attending.

Edit reading the captions on the photos in the link above, gives me more reason not to go to York

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/image/cops/2

When I got inside from the front entrace, this is what it looked like. Some students randomly walking around. One guy parading a Palistinian flag and some benches in front of classroom entraces. I learnt by talking to the students standing around that most of the attendants were people who had a class in one of the blocked classrooms, and on the day of this protest their professors told them to attend the protest instead, and that they will be tested and graded on it. Of course, some students later petitioned against this since you cannot force someone to protest and base your grades on it.

These professors were becoming very unpopular according to the chatter. I must note that York is a commuter school for many students and spending up to two hours to get to class, only to find you must stand in a hallway for a few more can make some angry.

Zarathustra said:
Most university students are there to study, party and get a degree. They are looking forward to their next coop term at IBM or their job in that big law firm. I stick to my theory that it's mostly social sciences students with not much job to look forward to who make the more noise about capitalism, the military and such. But they are a small fraction of the total.

Where the heII did you pull this from? Where do you think law schools draw many of their students from? Biology? Engineering? Mathematics? Undergrad degrees are a poor indication of future employment prospects. A head of the Bank of Canada had an English BA. You must not have covered logical fallacies, errant attributions of causation, and the dangers of unsubstantiated generalisations in your years at university or you'd have some inkling as to why casting aspersions on the entirety of social science students is asinine, to say the least.

Redbeaver said:
Just remember that a large dose of reality (in the form of student loans) is waiting for these kids as soon as they get their precious political science degree.  

Funny, where does it state the protestors' mean major as poli sci?

Glorified Ape said:
Where the heII did you pull this from? Where do you think law schools draw many of their students from? Biology? Engineering? Mathematics? Undergrad degrees are a poor indication of future employment prospects. A head of the Bank of Canada had an English BA. You must not have covered logical fallacies, errant attributions of causation, and the dangers of unsubstantiated generalisations in your years at university or you'd have some inkling as to why casting aspersions on the entirety of social science students is asinine, to say the least.

Funny, where does it state the protestors' mean major as poli sci?

Gee you're not an Arts student are you?

Although I personally find with a Political Science degree more people are willing to pay me to work the fry machine than debate the Kantian dialectic between morality and reason. ;D

That being said most of the people who are politically active on campuses tend to be Arts students.  How I miss the leisurely 5 hours of classes a week and all the beer I could afford to drink....

xFusilier said:

Although I personally find with a Political Science degree more people are willing to pay me to work the fry machine than debate the Kantian dialectic between morality and reason. ;D

Well unless you're going into academia as a profession, you're not likely to find anyone willing to pay you for reflections on esoteric political philosophy. If you're trying to get into government (IE public policy, CSIS, etc), however, then political science is probably your best bet. Same goes for intelligence work in the CF.

As much as people love to knock poli sci, it's the poli sci kids that go on to formulate the public policy that shapes the country and government. In the meantime, the poli sci critics sit on internet message boards and badmouth the field. Kinds of puts things in perspective.  ;)

xFusilier said:

And here we have the head-rearing of the endless argument about whether a university education is there to improve your intellectual skills and broaden your understandng of things in general, or prepare you for a job.

I am sure there are lots of people with degrees sweeping the floor or driving cab. I am equally sure that there are not too many people in corner offices without degrees.

Cheers

pbi said:
And here we have the head-rearing of the endless argument about whether a university education is there to improve your intellectual skills and broaden your understandng of things in general, or prepare you for a job.

In my experience university seems to do the former, whereas college prepares you for the latter.

Depends on the job of course. Some jobs absolutely require at least a degree.

midgetcop said:
In my experience university seems to do the former, whereas college prepares you for the latter.

Depends on the job of course. Some jobs absolutely require at least a degree.

You mean a Community College right, not a college as it is used by the Americans (meaning they call University, College even if the name of the school say University).

Back