• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WW2 - unit name abbreviations

army

Inactive
Reaction score
WW2 - unit name abbreviations

Posted by Allan Montgomery from Melfort SK Canada on April 29, 2000 at 05:58:27:

I hate to burden you but I‘m having trouble making sense of my father in law‘s WW2 military record. It is full of abbreviations and some were easy to figure out but the following have me stumped. They are units he was transferred to and from. He was a gunner with light anti aircraft regiments.

I figured out the following.

1st LAA - 1st Light Anti Aircraft
3rd LAA - 3rd Light Anti Aircraft
3 CDN LAA Regt RCA - 3rd Canadian Light Anti Aircraft Reg‘t Reg‘t Canadian Artillery.

But the following got me stumped.

A3 C.A.T.C.
3 CARU
1 C.G.R.U.
X4 List RCA C
2 Cdn A/Tk Regt RCA

If you have any idea what these abbreviations mean I‘d sure be grateful.

--- Allan Montgomery

Re: WW2 - unit name abbreviations

Posted by Michael Dorosh from Canada on April 29, 2000 at 13:42:14:

In Reply to: WW2 - unit name abbreviations posted by Allan Montgomery on April 29, 2000 at 05:58:27:

CARU - Canadian Army Reinforcement Unit - a unit overseas that held replacements until assigned to a unit

CATC - Canadian Army Training Centre - where basic and trades training was done in Canada

2 Canadian Anti-Tank Regiment - an anti-tank regiment, armed with 17 pounder guns - each division had one of these.

Posted by Allan Montgomery from Melfort SK Canada on April 30, 2000 at 01:04:23:

In Reply to: Re: WW2 - unit name abbreviations posted by Michael Dorosh on April 29, 2000 at 13:42:14:

Thanks for your help. I‘ll keep digging for more

Posted by Magoo Mr. from Montreal QC Canada on May 08, 2000 at 15:05:09:

In Reply to: Re: WW2 - unit name abbreviations posted by Allan Montgomery on April 30, 2000 at 01:04:23:

By the way, RCA is Royal Canadian Artillery.

I serve in a unit that is a direct descendent of your father‘s 1 LAA. 1 LAA was a Corps
resource. It consisted of the 35th, 89th and 109th Batteries. Part way through the war
in Italy when the Germans started running out of aircraft it was reroled into an infantry
regiment - the Lanark Renfrew Scottish Regiment, and later it was reroled back to
Anti-Aircraft again in the Low countries.

Posted by X GNR from Ottawa On Canada on May 09, 2000 at 11:53:14:

In Reply to: Re: WW2 - unit name abbreviations posted by Michael Dorosh on April 29, 2000 at 13:42:14:

CATC- Canadian Artillery Training Centre - A1 CATC conducted training/IG assistance/assessment in Petawawa for units preparing for overseas action in WWII. I suggest a good read of George Blackburn‘s "Where The **** Are The Guns?" ISBN 0-7710-1504-6. His books explain all thing artillery WWII in a most clear and comprehensive manner.

Ubique

Back