• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Would you go to RMC. RRMC, or CMR

9Tiger9

Inactive
Reaction score
If they magically re-opened RRMC or CMR would you prefer to go to these institutions or stay right at home in Kingston?

Myself I would stay in Kingston all the way, I come from BC but I like the change of pace Onterio Brings, and having suffered through prep year I would not want to go to CMR

Roads, hands down!

Roads....those Kingston winters were too cold, especially running over the causeway at 12:29am to make curfew!!

Have you all seen what RRMC has evolved into:  http://www.royalroads.ca/

I have a few buddies taking courses through them.  They have nothing but good things to say.

PPCLI MCpl said:
Have you all seen what RRMC has evolved into:  http://www.royalroads.ca/

I have a few buddies taking courses through them.  They have nothing but good things to say.

Sure have, PPCLI MCpl!  I've been tempted to sign up for the IT MBA....some of the best years of my life (camaraderie-wise, well and windsurfing and skiing) -- ah yes, banging around the parade square at 5-10*C in January, looking at the Olympic mountains across the Straits and RSM Baumgarten (3VP BTW) teaching us proper regimental drill, not that slow, lumbering, CF-standard crap!  ;D

Cheers,
Duey

Feh. Spare me from Roadents.

CMR, she was the place to be, eh? 5 minutes from the best poutine in the world, and 32 minutes away from Montreal.

Plus it was way easier for an Hanglo like myself to apprendre le Francais when surrounded by it all the time.

DG

Duey said:
Sure have, PPCLI MCpl!  I've been tempted to sign up for the IT MBA....some of the best years of my life (camaraderie-wise, well and windsurfing and skiing) -- ah yes, banging around the parade square at 5-10*C in January, looking at the Olympic mountains across the Straits and RSM Baumgarten (3VP BTW) teaching us proper regimental drill, not that slow, lumbering, CF-standard crap!  ;D

Cheers,
Duey

How about those peacocks!  Those awful, screaming peacocks!  The noise, noise, noise.....  :crybaby:

S6

RSM Baumgarten (3VP BTW) teaching us proper regimental drill, not that slow, lumbering, CF-standard crap! 

Ahhh...  Nothing beat a good Saturday morning on the parade square under the tender mercies of Sgt Major Baumgarten.  That man could do drill.  And teach it as well.

"You are here on this parade square this morning PREPARING FOR WAR!".... That man had the best lines...

9Tiger9 said:
If they magically re-opened RRMC or CMR would you prefer to go to these institutions or stay right at home in Kingston?

Actually, having spent all four years at RMC and being an Ontario-raised kid, I would have preferred doing 2 (RRMC) + 2 (RMC) in hindsight.  When the folks arrived at RMC after spending two years at Roads, it seemed that they were re-invigorated!  I on the other hand couldn't wait to get out.  Finally, like you, I would have liked to experience the pace from a different region of Canada... screaming peacocks and all!

S6

I think I'd stay at RMC to go through all the rites of passage.

Then again, I'm a genrally keen first-uear who still  has a spirit and optimism to break.

I would go to roads! Heard nothing but good stories coming from there! And its out west, close to where i used to live.

loyalist said:
I think I'd stay at RMC to go through all the rites of passage.

Then again, I'm a genrally keen first-uear who still  has a spirit and optimism to break.

I didn't know how many of "all Rites of Passage" were actually experienced by those at RU (Royal University, as described by many graduates of the Drill and Ceremonial degree program at Roads)?  RMC always had the rep of being the least military of the three Mil Cols...I know what you're thinking...what about CMR, well...they were different, that's for sure, but definitely considered more military than RU...  ;D

Cheers,
Duey

p.s.  Sapper6, yup...you would have loved the "quad-major" BSc in Physics, Computer Science, Windsurfing and Skiing at Roads!  The absolute best four years of my "edjamucation"!  :D 

RMC all the way! It's the nicest campus in a great city with great people and great weather. Just look at the RMC website, beauty is there man!

bbbb said:
RMC all the way! It's the nicest campus in a great city with great people and great weather. Just look at the RMC website, beauty is there man!

Young Padawan, having seen tulips blooming in February along the marble walkways and steps of Roads' campus, I'd have to respectfully disagree with you.  Of course, plugging you ears, the peacocks look especially nice as well...

OK, I live in Kingston too, but not seeing "great weather" compared to Victoria...don't think many would challenge that Victoria weather is worse than Kingston...

Cheers,
Duey

The Roads peacocks look best served on a bed of rice, perhaps with a nice side of carrots.

Victoria is great - God bless the 6 Mile Pub - but there was no better place to be 17 and stupid than the corner of St Catherines and St Laurent on a Firday night. :D

Hey Duey, when did you do PFS?

DG

In addition to the Gardens of Royal Roads, what about the view across the Strait?  Looking at the Washington mountains in the morning certainly was impressive.  What about the bonfires and love-ins on the spit?  The only thing that RMC had over Roads might be the nursing students at Queens university.  It was an easy walk from the 6 mile and in the later years the Coldwell Pub back to your room far less challenging then getting back to RMC when you moved as much laterally as you did forward.  The peacocks were interesting but what about those raccoons and cats coming down to feed at night? I had never heard of the phenomenon of cats hanging with Raccoons before I got to Roads.  The four years at Roads were incredible and running circles in the am certainly improved my running ability in the short term - especially when it was up and down the hill.

RecceDG said:
The Roads peacocks look best served on a bed of rice, perhaps with a nice side of carrots.

Victoria is great - God bless the 6 Mile Pub - but there was no better place to be 17 and stupid than the corner of St Catherines and St Laurent on a Firday night. :D

Hey Duey, when did you do PFS?

DG

'87...one of only 11 out of 44 on course to pass...eek!  :eek:

While confined to barracks in rook term, I always thought the seniors were athletic gods, doing "6-mile" runs all the time...little did I know what was on the plate for PT...  :cheers:

Cheers,
Duey

Roads all the way.  Having spent time in RMC and at Roads, I can safely vouch for the western experience.  As a UT, life in the PMQs was simply grand. I got to see the peacocks on route to class, but never heard them in the evening. Deer, rabbits, and all the homecooking I could stomach!  The best.  When the announced its closure, I moved to RMC so I would have three years in one place, but the single yr at RR was the best. 

Well I'll be a spotted owl - I did PFS the summer of 1990. Although in my case, I was one of the many who rode the ejection chair out of there. Landings.

"Boost, check, Change, check, Rich, Hot, Both....."

You know Martin Hickey? Bern Thorne? Bill Church?

DG

Back