• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Would you get a surplus MLVW?

I have owned 2 US versions and currently just own 1.  As of september I had it safetied here in MB for road use.  runs like a dream, parts are VERY easy to get as the US had the same design with minor changes since the 50's. 

A few of you need to think about what you are doing however.  The US declared a few years back that they would not release the titles on their vehicles except in certain states and that exception was ONLY for vehicles dated 1975 and older.  (alabama being one of those states)  This means that if you are not an american citizen you can not get them across the border (NO TITLE) unless you bought from one of I think 5 states and your vehicle was dated 1975 or older.  Your dreams of buying a US unit and swapping the VIN will likely not work and if you get caught your ass will be nailed to a very high stick. 

Next hiccup is an article on Steelsoldiers.com that I read.  As of Jan 1 2009 the US declared that it would no longer release their military vehicles to ANY private hands.  They will all be scrapped from now on.  So the MLVW may be your only option if you want a 'deuce' .  Parts however are still going to be readily available. 

I think the US military might be worried that at some time in the future, posers "could" pull up to a security checkpoint & attempt to penetrate secured installations for some nefarious motives.

personally i would love to get one im already in the proccess of getting qoutes for upgrading the motor (so it will go faster than 50kpm up a hill :rage: and 90kpm on the highway :skull:) and break system or back up break system. if anyone knows where i can buy one pleas let me know!

charlietango said:
"The US declared a few years back that they would not release the titles on their vehicles except in certain states and that exception was ONLY for vehicles dated 1975 and older.  (alabama being one of those states)  This means that if you are not an american citizen you can not get them across the border (NO TITLE) unless you bought from one of I think 5 states and your vehicle was dated 1975 or older."

Sort of.  Government Liquidation disposes of them for the US Gov't and sometimes you get the Form 97 and sometimes you don't.  Some states require the Form 97 "Certificate to Obtain Title" for ex-military vehicles - and some don't...some just need a bill of sale.  Some states let you get a title from a company called "Broadway Title Services" if it doesn't otherwise have one.  It varies all over the map.  Many, many deuces and 5-tons of all descriptions have also been given/sold to USDA Forestry and other State and Federal gov't agencies over the years and are disposed of via GSA auctions rather than the GL ones, and except for the cases of residue vehicles or those otherwise deemed scrap - you always get something suitable for the 'previous title' requirement.  At least I always have.  GovLiquidation at the moment is also requiring EUC's on anything with wheels and a camouflage paint job (even CUCV vehicles), so Canadians are out of luck irrespective of the title issue as with one or two exceptions I know of, EUC's are only granted to U.S. citizens.  That requirement so far doesn't apply to vehicles sold through GSA, but I expect it's only a matter of time before hysteria trumps common sense over there too.  Probably within the year.

"Next hiccup is an article on Steelsoldiers.com that I read.  As of Jan 1 2009 the US declared that it would no longer release their military vehicles to ANY private hands.  They will all be scrapped from now on.  So the MLVW may be your only option if you want a 'deuce' .  Parts however are still going to be readily available. 

They've been saying things like that (and worse) for years.  There was a proposal that came out in the early part of '08 to the effect that no Gov't surplus of any description would be sold to anyone - and would instead be warehoused in giant warehouses (yet to be built, presumably) for future needs.  I don't think that went anywhere after someone doubtlessly pointed out the logistics involved in keeping warehouses full of things like surplus exercise equipment and old VCRs, and probably died the death it richly deserved.  There have also been several measures that USGOV has tried to sneak in which would enable them to recall any military material of any description which had once been sold through U.S. surplus sales over the decades at their whim 'in the interests of national security', and the way it was worded it would've applied equally to high-tech missile guidance systems components and...B-17 bombers from WWII.  The last time it came up it was defeated thanks to a coalition of sensible individuals led by the then-Confederate Air Force and its well-heeled, well-connected warbird owners, but since that time several versions of the same legislation have turned up 'under the radar' in the hopes they could be passed without any sort of political process.

As it stands, the USGOV through Government Liquidations has been pulling some pretty jackbooted maneuvers, including sending people letters ordering them to return things they purchased legally through Government Liquidation as long as six-seven years ago.  Not an urban legend. Fact.  One guy I know got such a recall notice for several 1960's bakelite voltmeters that USGOV had suddenly decided were a security risk after the fellow had owned them for six years, and another fellow got a recall letter for two triwalls of ripped camouflage rain gear.  To say that the inmates are running the bureaucratic asylum right now in the U.S. is understating the problem by several orders of magnitude.  Paranoia destroys from within.  The ghosts of McCarthyism.

geo said:
I think the US military might be worried that at some time in the future, posers "could" pull up to a security checkpoint & attempt to penetrate secured installations for some nefarious motives.
The only problem with that idea is that u need to have a: a work ticket that states that u have business driving that vehicle in to the installation and b: a valid us military id to get into any base or installation. usually u need both to get in to a base but i get what ur saying it is possible i guess

a.armstrong said:
The only problem with that idea is that u need to have a: a work ticket that states that u have business driving that vehicle in to the installation and b: a valid us military id to get into any base or installation. usually u need both to get in to a base but i get what ur saying it is possible i guess

Correct. I've driven up to the gate in current pattern equipment as part of my civvy gig and the minute I handed them a drivers licence as opposed to current military ID -- off to the commercial inspection lanes with me.  They even send some of their own vehicles through there rather than just waving them on to the base.  Last time I was there a USAF semi with some TACP HMMWVs on the trailer was sent through the inspection lanes rather than waved on post.  All this is after 9-11 though.  In the early to mid-90's you were generally just sent on your way without stopping if you were driving an SMP vehicle, and that's if anyone was manning the checkpoint to begin with.  (Malmstrom AFB was really the only exception I can remember in the 90's.  The gate was always manned there, and while I was waved through the first few times as I was driving an SMP vehicle - they eventually made the group of us go through all the Visitors Pass rigamarole at the MP shack.)

As has been pointed out several times to the various security agencies when the subject of banning military vehicles in private hands goes, the Bad Guys will use something like a garbage truck or bus (or Ryder truck) if they want to make a mess.   

a.armstrong said:

Work tickets are a simple piece of paper / cardboard.  Anyone with a laser printer could reproduce.
WRT worktickets & military ID.... you must consider that there are military reservations that are partly built in state parks.... effectively creating back doors to the base.
Also, most people looking to crash a party would want to have the oportunity to just get close to the checkpoint without raising suspicion.... and do a final sprint to crash & burn into something....  However, as indicated... a garbage truck would be a great vehicle to use.... no one is particularly interested in inspecting a reeking stinking cesspool - more inclined to wave em thru & get some clean air ASAP

just in case anyone is interested there is at least one ML forsale at the place between Almonte and Carlton Place Ontario.  on highway 29. no clue about price i saw there on friday  as we were driving to Smiths Falls for my  other hobby train watching

FormerHorseGuard said:
just in case anyone is interested there is at least one ML forsale at the place between Almonte and Carlton Place Ontario.  on highway 29. no clue about price i saw there on friday  as we were driving to Smiths Falls for my  other hobby train watching

if u have any more infor on this it would be greatly appreciated as i actually live in ontario and i would like to buy this vehicle

we drove by  doing high way  plus a bit speed, it is the cago version, no trap, but had the wooden supports  , not much else to tell you. where in ontario are you,  i can give you directions some one here might know the name of it.

FormerHorseGuard said:
we drove by  doing high way  plus a bit speed, it is the cago version, no trap, but had the wooden supports  , not much else to tell you. where in ontario are you,  i can give you directions some one here might know the name of it.
im in burlington if u know where hamilton is im right beside that just off the qew/401

FormerHorseGuard said:

a.armstrong said:
im in burlington if u know where hamilton is im right beside that just off the qew/401

My God Guys!  Where did you learn English?  Perhaps a review of the Site Guidelines would be in order.

I will try and make it a bit clearer.
We doing highway  speed plus...90km in 80 zone. I do not know the name of the place. It is  on highway  29  about 10 to 15 minutes from Almonte Ontario  close to Carleton Place. They sell various used  ex military equipment, there are itlis, MLVW,  some of the yellow 1/2 tons, some grey  tractors ( farm type) , some vans of various sizes , trailers for the MLs,  former 5/4 or cucv CP trucks, might even be the odd 5 tonne there in the back. Some sort of tanker truck too.

I have seen the mp, ambulance itlis there,  some with tops, some without, the light pole there too.
I have never stopped there, but always give it a glance out of interest.I have never seen any  prices or anything marked on the windows so I have no clue about cost.]
I hope this is more helpful, I was never one to memorize the various mods or models of trucks or equipment,  they  all look the same to me, big and green trucks
I am sure some one here in the Ottawa Valley  would know the name of this dealership.
good luck
stuart

a.armstrong said:

Please visit this thread and read: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/84149.0.html

Milnet.ca Staff

FormerHorseGuard

That 'garage' on Hwy 15 in Almonte has been mentioned quite a few times in threads dealing with surplus vehicles and trailers.  The guy has been quite visible on that road for some time, and mentioned in different forums.  He has been mentioned in the Iltis and Jeep topics.

a.armstrong said:
just wondering how my post is in violation of the site guidlines? this knowledge is given to any person that attempts to enter a cf base
Did you read the part:

You will not use excessive webspeak, or other shorthand styles of typing. Please use English or French to the best of your ability; this makes it easier for those who are not posting in their native language.

In other words proper punctation and grammer.

Anyone looked at these MLVWs for sale in Beloeil?

http://prefair.ca/products/?id=3312&s=626

FYI....

There are 12 MLVW's at Jardine Auctioneers in Fredericton, NB. They are part  of the ICAN Group (www.icangroup.ca). There is nothing on their website yet but they are being sold on Tuesday, April 7th.

Well, not to grave dig, but if anyone notices any MLVW's for sale in the Edmonton area please send me a pm.

Back