• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wondering about WO. Miles, Sgt. Vance, Sgt. Johnson... from RCR

ChristopherRobin

Inactive
Reaction score
Since I'm resubmitting my application in the forces for DEO infantry, it got me thinking of some people that made a huge impact on me during the summer of 1995 in Petawawa (to the point where I would want to go to the RCR now). I'm not sure of their ranks now but they were with either 3 or 1 RCR. They had just left 3 cdo.  There was a third Sgt but I don't remember his name which is unfortunate. They were my PIs for my jump course ground training when I was in cadets.  In '96 I heard Sgt. Johnson was with the JTF.  That's all I know. 

In case anyone knows them, breifly, here's how they affected me:

-WO Miles: He was my plt. WO. I was 'course senior' so I was in responsible for timings, translating from english to french for franco candidates, and other little tasks. He always spoke highly of me to his peers which I greatly appreciated.  He encouraged me to join the forces as NCM.  Very professional, supportive, and was there to make sure we were well prepared for the actual jump course in Edmonton.

-Sgt. Vance: Very professional... to the point where you wondered if he was this loud and aggressive outside of work. Very fit. He ran us into the ground (a couple guys had to be carried home). I remember one morning before a run he was wearing shorts with flowers on them with a gray ARMY t-shirt. Kind of funny to see a big guy wearing shorts like that.

-Sgt. Johnson: He was hired only for PT since he wasn't technically a PI (but that was the plan, hire someone that can run forever).  Although he had to assume the role of PI since the R22R para-instructor never showed up for the course.  Intimidating guy with a skull tattoo on one arm and Ex Coelis with the dagger and cloud tattoo on the other arm.  But in the end, really nice guy.   

I don't know if they've retired by now or what, but I wanted people to know how they affected all of us that were on the course.

Was that Melvin Vance? If so Mel's a WO and in Gagetown (or he was as of april), He is / was a town councliior for Oromocto. Good man Mel, was in the infantry with Mel in 1RCR back in the early 80's. Saw him again when posted to 2RCR as a med type.

-gerry

That'd be Mike Johnson and Mel Vance that you are looking for then correct?

PM me your e-mail addy and I can pass it on for you.

Vern

WO Miles: He was my plt. WO. I was 'course senior' so I was in responsible for timings, translating from english to french for franco candidates, and other little tasks. He always spoke highly of me to his peers which I greatly appreciated.  He encouraged me to join the forces as NCM.  Very professional, supportive, and was there to make sure we were well prepared for the actual jump course in Edmonton

Would that be Kenny Miles you are looking for?  NKA MWO Kenny Miles, he is with 1 RCR and currently overseas -
PM me your email address and I can pass it on to him when we next speak.

PoPo

MWO Miles is a darn good man, doing well and it must be MWO MIles because Miles was with 3 Cdo where as his brother Blair I don't think ever was.

Ditto re Kenny Miles. I knew him as a Sgt Instructor at CABC in the early 90s

Thanks for all the replies! It's great to hear about what they're up after all these years.  And yes it was Ken and Mel... I now remember they would call eachother by their first names once in a while.

I'll wait to contact Ken Miles once I'm in my training.

Be carefull There were 2 Wo Miles in 1 RCR, I am not sure if they were related, but if I remember correctly they did not get allong all that well.

Back