• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why We Need Women in War Zones

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why We Need Women in War Zones

THOUSANDS of men blocked the road, surrounding the S.U.V. of the chief justice of Pakistan, a national hero for standing up to military rule. As a correspondent for The Chicago Tribune, I knew I couldn’t just watch from behind a car window. I had to get out there.

So, wearing a black headscarf and a loose, long-sleeved red tunic over jeans, I waded through the crowd and started taking notes: on the men throwing rose petals, on the men shouting that they would die for the chief justice, on the men sacrificing a goat.

And then, almost predictably, someone grabbed my buttocks. I spun around and shouted, but then it happened again, and again, until finally I caught one offender’s hand and punched him in the face. The men kept grabbing. I kept punching. At a certain point — maybe because I was creating a scene — I was invited into the chief justice’s vehicle.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/20/opinion/20barker.html?src=ISMR_AP_LO_MST_FB

I can't help but feel like being in the right doesn't always replace being smart.

For example, leaving my house to go to work, I know there are down right terrible drivers on the road. So, after approaching the 4 way stop I take the time to look around, I don't willfully throw myself into the middle of a situation were I know I may be hurt - or worse yet killed, just because I know other people shouldn't do the things they do. Im not down playing the contributions made by women in the media, I just feel not being at fault doesn't replace being responsible.

Nor do I understand how sending a women compared to a man, or vice versa, changes the facts of an incident such as those the author listed in the ladder half of the article.

Am I way off base?

Back