• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Why I preferred the Navy, from a culture POV."

So what about the traditionally deep hatred of the 'Lower Decks' for MARS/NWO Officers?

I was impressed by the depth of feeling there talking to a few ratings in the past, some of whom left the CAF becasue the awful leadership ;)

I'm not 100% clear on your objective here. Can you dumb it down for me ?

I'm not 100% clear on your objective here. Can you dumb it down for me ?

Well, the subject was about how awesome the Navy culture is compared to the other mobs, and things in this thread seemed to be going too well, so I did my normal thing and chucked a grenade into the hot dog fire ;)

Relaxed Mad Men GIF

Well, the subject was about how awesome the Navy culture is compared to the other mobs, and things in this thread seemed to be going too well, so I did my normal thing and chucked a grenade into the hot dog fire ;)

Relaxed Mad Men GIF

I was attempting to temper the love fest myself lol I guess you just chose violence lol

As for NAVCOMs I am not sure I agree. They have/had a very powerful empire. At one point they were producing a way out of expected ratio number of CPO1s.
I was pointing out the perception of the Communications section of the Combat Dept. This was pre SHIPLAN and the rest of the Ships Coy insisted the sigs and sparkers were downloading NAPSTER in the CCR.

I was pointing out the perception of the Communications section of the Combat Dept. This was pre SHIPLAN and the rest of the Ships Coy insisted the sigs and sparkers were downloading NAPSTER in the CCR.

I remember the old email days lol Those poor NAVCOMs having to read what GF would send me lol

Relaxed Mad Men GIF
I found NWOs were on the whole no better or worse than than a lot of the other officers I dealt with, but the bad ones were next level bad... Run into a bad string of bosses(officer and/or NCM), and I can see why people get out.

I have been told by senior people my occupation isn't needed because they can get their information from Nav Canada, not realizing that the information they are getting is put in the system by my occupation...
Kind of tangent-y, but it didn't help that the Met folks stopped briefing in person and it became the regional folks, or even a central briefing by phone from Gagetown to a crew in Comox.

The local Comox Met folks knew the local conditions and trends, while the Gagetown-based briefings were little more than reading out the weather products that we all downloaded/printed for the flight anyway. So we started trusting the Met less.

To tie into the overall topic: The aircrews trusted the Met folks more when there were local briefers. They got to know them and trusted them - like any other team member.

Kind of tangent-y, but it didn't help that the Met folks stopped briefing in person and it became the regional folks, or even a central briefing by phone from Gagetown to a crew in Comox.

The local Comox Met folks knew the local conditions and trends, while the Gagetown-based briefings were little more than reading out the weather products that we all downloaded/printed for the flight anyway. So we started trusting the Met less.

To tie into the overall topic: The aircrews trusted the Met folks more when there were local briefers. They got to know them and trusted them - like any other team member.
100% I'm glad to hear it from the users, because fighting that has been a losing battle from the inside.

That said, the RCAF abandoned us before the JMC was a thing. The entire reason the JMC happened is because the RCAF decided somewhere between the air crews and 1 CAD that a website was better than a SME.

Like I've said before on here, I've had aircrew walk past my staffed briefing desk at 4 am(when my staff had come in specifically to brief) because they checked Nav Canada before coming to work.

Nothing makes your 18 years of training and experience feel more worthwhile than a crew looking in, seeing you there ready to brief, then walking past as if you don't exist.

Back in the day when there was the “2nd Sea Tour Lt” I lost the coin flip and became the Communications Officer vice the Deck Officer in Protecteur. Talk about a “pecking order”, Decks was a HOD while Commo was the Combat Officer’s bitch. Nobody ever said “Great Message File Today Commo!”, where as the Deck Officer (especially on the Tanker) was front and center with a lot of “attaboys” after a good seamanship evolution. On the other hand the NAVCOMMS work in a secure space with limited access.
Didn’t help things that my boss was a megalomaniac c***, the CO was spineless and the CO senile. It was a bloody nightmare.
I then went to Algonquin as the DeckO and I got to enjoy the good life!
From wnat I remember, your deck department was pretty awesome, even Shrek. And he turned out ok in the end!

Wardroom experience here.

All the Lt(N)'s generally all treated the exact same no matter the dept. Because you find out pretty quick you can't do a damn thing in your job if you aren't working as a team. OPS needs engineers to fix equipment so they can do the mission. Engineers need LOG to get parts and move people. Eng needs OPS to organized the schedule to trail equipment and do training with the ship. And on and on.

Everyone has a eye on the mission, and we're trying to get the best plan and effort to achieve it as a group.

If you're a trainee though... different set of responsibilities and expectations. Not as bad as it used to be but it can be a bit rough with all the expectations put on them, Engineers, Log and NWO.

A huge issue I found with Navy culture was the tolerance of crappy work. I know for me and a few others we had to do significantly more of the crappy jobs (bosns mate, scullery, force protection, etc.) because we would do it properly. Others would purposely do as poor a job as possible.

This would cause issues for the CoC because they would catch flak for the poor performers. Instead of punishing them and making them do a good job they would instead just not send them and force those of us who do a good job to go constantly. Meanwhile those purposeful under performers were occupying the better trade related jobs. Basically rewarding poor behaviour and punishing those who did their jobs professionally.

From wnat I remember, your deck department was pretty awesome, even Shrek. And he turned out ok in the end!
Thanks! The department made me look good! And Shrek went from a bit of a punching bag to a JTF 2 Door kicker if the rumours are true.

Remember when A/SLT Smiley’s mum showed up for the tiger cruise back from Pearl? Uber MILF who put the flats hotties to shame.
Paige's mom, I think the XO was beside himself when she came onboard.

Back