• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why don‘t Infantry wear the RCIC badge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if you‘re not confusing cap badges with trades badges...you know, the little cloth badge on the CF with the bayonet that indicates you completed infantry training?
that is not at all true, the badge you are talking about is the one worn on the right cuff of you DEU‘s, and the bayonet is simply a marking of the position you hold in you regiment, for example i have the gunners badge b/c i am a c6 gunner for my regiment

Well the term Regiment: A body of men, either horse, foot, or artillery,commanded by a colonel, and consisting of a number of companies,usually 10.
The RCR and PPCLI for example is are Infantry Regiments their members are all Infantry who fill assigned tasks within the seperate Companies of the Regiment.
The Service/Support Companies are commanded by officers of the regiment who are in command of the Attached tradesmen/cooks/clerks. These attached in personel may or may not wear the insignia of the Regiment they are attached to but not the capbadge as they are not "badged members" of the regiment which in an Infantry Regiment are Infantrymen. I can‘t make it any more clerer than that. REMEs will wear the REME capbadge,medics wear medical,etc but they can wear the unit slipons while in combat clothing but in CF dress they usually wear their branch insignia.

Michael: Funny you should mention Topham; in the CFMSS (CF Medical Services School) in Borden, they have a plaque about Topham and his VC... except they make no mention of his regiment, just the "Army Medical Corps." Just as other medical units have attempted to claim it is "their" VC, despite the fact that he didn‘t belong to a medical unit. I guess when you have no colours, traditions, battle honours or regimental accoutrements, you try to take whatever you can get.

BATMAN: The trade badge on the DEU for infantry is still infantry whether it‘s an MG badge, or TOW, or whatever specialization. All QL3 infantryman wear the same badge just as all QL3 EMEs or clerks or musicians will wear the same badge. It‘s an indication of trade, NOT of position. You can have an MG course, but be employed as a rifleman, storesman, signaller or clerk and you‘re still entitled to wear the badge. Also, I was under the impression that they were phasing out all but the bayonet badge for the infantry.

So how does it work, then? Do you remain a member of a branch and therefore a second class unit member unprivileged to wear full regimental accoutrements until you do something extraordinary, and then (suddenly and temporarily except for the purpose of posterity, which is indefinite) you‘re completely regimental?

It reminds me of the curious chauvinism by which the deeds of various numbered and forgotten functional units have resulted in honours for the nearest "regiment" which happened to be in the same area. "****ed if a platoon of truckers should receive an honour when there was a perfectly good battalion in bivouac next door, old boy."

I frankly don‘t care which organization feels Topham‘s VC "belongs" to them[1], although trading on the past sacrifices and heroism of others seems to be a Canadian national pastime. Does anyone know whether Topham was a member of the medical corps who volunteered for infantry/parachute duty, or a member of the infantry/parachute corps who volunteered for medical duty?

There is always the possibility that some people don‘t need colours or battle honours to have a sense of self-worth. Imagine that. However, I‘d be surprised if any branch was completely bereft of traditions and accoutrements.

[1]It‘s Topham‘s VC. No other entity should be laying claim to it.

Originally posted by MG34:
Well the term Regiment: A body of men, either horse, foot, or artillery,commanded by a colonel, and consisting of a number of companies,usually 10.
The RCR and PPCLI for example is are Infantry Regiments their members are all Infantry who fill assigned tasks within the seperate Companies of the Regiment.
So these assigned tasks would include trained infantrymen acting as combat storesmen and the Company Quartermaster Sergeant - an infantry qualified Warrant Officer, yes?

How do their duties differ from those of the Regimental Quartermaster Sergeant and his storesmen - presumably a Master Warrant Officer and NCMs from the Logistics branch?

I see people simply as trades. If you are infantry you belong to the regiment and, therefore, wear the regimental capbadge. If you are a tradesman, you wear the branch capbadge which identifies you as such. Personally, I wouldn‘t want to wear a regimental capbadge that I didn‘t earn. I think part of the problem comes from the reserve vs. reg force again. Reserve tradesmen may serve 20 or more years with the same regiment/unit and, of course, they are part of the unit. On the other hand, as stated before, if you are posted to Petawawa with the RCR for 4 years I can see where the Chickens would resent you putting up their badge.

As far as the difference in duties between the CQMS and tradespeople, probably not much at times. The difference lies in training and where their responsibilities may lie in the future.

I have to add my 2 cents here..

As a signaller, i don‘t belong to a regiment (although we could be due to our numbers :p ) but we wear the same capbadge that some guy in vicotria wears... we share our building with RMR... they keep mocking us saying that we don‘t have unit pride.. that may be... okay so, if i move, i won‘t be as sad to leave behind my friends at 712, but at least i know that i‘ll still be a sig..

For comms, we pride the jimmy.. i guess that‘s the difference between support trades and regiments

Hey, we gun plumbers worship Saint Barbara! I think Barbara could take Jimmy any day of the week.

Why not have too badges.

You keep the capbadge of your regiment, than have a trades badge that goes somewhere on the uniform.

How about the thought that your capbadge is what denotes your trade, where as the cbt clipons denote your unit you are posted/attached to...

Micheal,
this is a reserve support trade issue and really has no relivence for the regular force. In our world, on a daily basis at our work, the only thing that denotes a "0" trade from the support personnel is our capbadges.

Two badges. My 2c input.

In the Australian Army, two badges are worn on the hat KFF ‘slouch hat‘.

The first on the side of the brim is the Rising sun badge, the badge of the Australian Army.

Then on the front of the puggaree the Corps badge is worn.

So, me being RAEME, attached to Artillery, I wear my RAEME badge, and the Rising Sun. If I was RAA, I would wear the Artillery badge, and the Rising Sun and so on.

So if you were RA Sigs, you would be doing the same.

The Gr 2 slouch is worn in garrison, and with the side turned up ( Gr1 slouch, a bit more stiff) for ceremonial purposes.

‘Giggle‘ (bush) hats both short and wide brimmed are worn in the field, with no badges, as we dont use ‘slip ons‘ on the eppaulettes except for rank with officers, and with new DPSC AUSCAM uniforms coming in soon, the rank of all pers will be worn in the fashion the CF now employs. No unit ID on the ‘slip ons‘ at all.

I briefly touched this in a previous post in this thread at post No15, until the ‘finance nazi‘ on post No16 tried to ‘have a go‘ at me for some reason??

Cheers,

Wes

Hi all, I‘m new to this forum. I was wondering if such a forum existed, and did a quick Google search and here I am.

Anyway, I agree whole-heartedly with Wes (our former Canuck, now Aussie member): Mr Dorosch would be bettered served not to talk down to people if they expect them to look up to him in his views.

I remember as a young soldier "beaking off: to a medic MCpl that I was working for (I was newly posted into the RCD, and being employed as an ambulance driver in the UMS) that he "didn‘t deserve" to wear RCD slip-on on his combats. This fine MCpl reminded me that he had spent more time in the Regiment than I had spent in the Army up that point. At the time his argument didn‘t make much sense (and probably still doesn‘t ;) ), but I suppose the point can be this: No, he didn‘t do the 13 weeks of Armour Battle School and PCF training to get to be a RCD trooper, but his service with the Regiment made him a "member" of the Regiment.

I have always found (from my biased view) that the Armour Corps and Engineers treat their tradesman and support trades as more equal partners than the Infantry treat theirs (I did 2 tours to Bosnia with 2PPCLI, so I have a little experience with this matter). I‘m not sure how the Artillery treat theirs, so I won‘t comment. I suppose in the Armour Corps we realize that we are quite dependant on our tradesman (particulary Veh Techs and FCS and Wpns Techs) to "keep the tracks rolling". Sure, we don‘t exactly shower them in hugs and kisses, and grumble about them from time to time, but we wouldn‘t/couldn‘t cross the LD at H-hr without them.

I know some Veh Techs (particularly the Leopard mechs) that have spent more time with a black hat on than I have. They (for the most part) seem to be proud to have been a part of the Hussars, Dragoons, Strats or the Deuxiemes. We involve them in all our functions, and allow them to take time off to participate in their branch/trade functions when permissible.

I have been a member of 3 Regiments: the Dragoons, the Hussars, and presently the Strathconas. The only one I had to "earn" my way into was the Dragoons (but that‘s debatable: I trained at the Armour School, and wore the RCAC fist until I finished TQ3, and then happened to put up the Springbok because the Dragoons needed a dumptruck load of soldiers to go to Cyprus, so 3 course-loads of TQ3‘s went to Petawawa for Op Snowgoose). I have rebadged twice: once because I had to (C Sqn RCD converting to A Sqn VIII CH after the close of Lahr) and the second time because I wanted to: I wanted to go out to The Army of the West to get some tours and be closer to my family.

Getting back to "what it means to be a member of a regiment" (or whatever this thread started out as): it doesn‘t really matter what hat-badge you wear. To me, it‘s sort of like adopting a child. Once you have taken them into your family, it doesn‘t matter that they don‘t neccesarily look like you, or have the same background, they are still part of your family. I‘m sure most adopted people will agree (my wife was adopted).

All that said, I think the Regimental system is still relevant and important, but I suspect it is going to vanish in the near future. We are all part of the same team, and should be content with that and be willing to move onto what will make the team better. I suspect we will move onto something that other NATO countries have adopted, and that‘s having the different arms mixed into the same unit, and training and working that way. It would make more sense down the road, rather than doing what we have in the past (yelling down from the tank to the infantryman on the ground "You want me to do what?!?!?!?" because neither had worked with the other before). We can still have our separate training systems and even keep the old Regiments going ("Who will be in charge???" is always asked when this comes up: who cares??? We always form battle groups under the command of the infantry or armour for missions overseas, and now I hear the engineers will lead the new Op Athena mission). Some people don‘t want things like this to work, because they want it to be like it always was. Sound familiar??

The only comment that I will make directly to Cpl Dorosh: I assume you are basing your views from a Reserve point of view? Meaning, since you have been a member of the Calgary Highlanders for so long, you are in fact a Calgary Highlander by default. I support that argument, only because, in theory, you could pick or choose (within the scope of units available in Calgary) which unit you wanted to be a part of. It‘s the same thing for cadets. I was a proud PPCLI Army cadet, but didn‘t really have any other choice: it was that, or Navy or Air cadets (which weren‘t really choices ;) ). I wanted to join the reserves, but it was a 45 min drive to the nearest unit and I didn‘t have a car. So I joined the Reg Force. Let me ask you this: If you are a proud Calgary Highlander, would you move with the unit if they relocated to Sydney, Nova Scotia? Or would you change to another unit in Calgary? I don‘t want to question your loyalty, but there it is. I don‘t if that was the "bent" of your initial post, but it‘s something to chew on.

Take care,

Allan Luomala

Anyway, seeing as how this is my first post to this forum, I‘ll leave it at this, and see where it goes. Looks like an interesting place to visit, with some good experience floating around.

Originally posted by Armymedic:
[qb] How about the thought that your capbadge is what denotes your trade, where as the cbt clipons denote your unit you are posted/attached to...

Micheal,
this is a reserve support trade issue and really has no relivence for the regular force. In our world, on a daily basis at our work, the only thing that denotes a "0" trade from the support personnel is our capbadges. [/qb]
I should imagine the suntans and rippling muscles provide an added form of insignia, no? ;) And I‘m not even being sarcastic with that one. I remember watching the parade the PPCLI had for the 75th Anniversary, the troops were browner than their tan jackets. And considerably bigger than most reserve soldiers. Not that it was surprising, just noticeable.

the only thing that denotes a "0" trade from the support personnel is our capbadges
Okay....so what?

In the Airborne Regiment it didn‘t matter what unit or what trade you were. Once you completed the AIC and got your coin and beret, you all wore the same thing. You still belonged to your parent regiment/trade, but when you were in the Airborne everyone wore the Airborne badge, slip-ons and accoutrements.

Originally posted by Doug:
[qb] In the Airborne Regiment it didn‘t matter what unit or what trade you were. Once you completed the AIC and got your coin and beret, you all wore the same thing. You still belonged to your parent regiment/trade, but when you were in the Airborne everyone wore the Airborne badge, slip-ons and accoutrements. [/qb]
And across the country, Infantry regiment cap badges are worn by 15 year old girls quite legitimately in the cadet programs. :)

Anyway, I don‘t suppose anyone will convince anyone of anything at this point. I do think the Infantrymen deserve some sort of uniform distinction aside from the trades badge worn on DEUs. I disagree that a cap badge proclaiming allegiance to a particular regiment should be used to do that, but we can agree to disagree. I also think there is little precedent, historical, traditional or otherwise, for this practice. The reason I posted was to see if anyone could indicate such a precedent. Doug‘s post is sort of the icing on the cake suggesting that no such precedent exists.

Whatever, I‘m just happy to serve. Happy St. Julien‘s weekend to the Canadian Scottish Regiment, if any of you out there are reading this.

Please forgive me, my bretheren; for weighing in with my 2 lire worth....

I agree with doug......

my regiment follows a similar practice....all in the regiment ...of any trade...wear the regimental headress and capbage...
Shoulder titles indicate trade.....

Our regular force Sensei's are, of course, the exception to our humble rule...
tho I did make a vailant attempt to get a past Air Force Chief Clerk into an Airforce kilt and glen.....

To paraphrase (bastardize?) Doug's excellent comment; " In the regiment it should'nt matter what trade you are...what matters is the fact you are part of the family......."

I do realize the difference between  service with the regular force as opposed to the reserve force.......but i could add that those support pers i served alongside of in Bosnia were damned proud to be tradesmen AND wear the black-hat as members of the RCD's.

" I do think the Infantrymen deserve some sort of uniform distinction aside from the trades badge worn on DEUs."
Being a proud, long-time grunt I like your idea! How about bringing back something along the lines of the SSF boot or something similair. This could be used by the infantry or the combat arms in general as a nice way to make DEU's actually look like a military uniform as opposed to the bus driver looking uniform that it is now! ;) :o ;D ;D

2 Cdo said:
" I do think the Infantrymen deserve some sort of uniform distinction aside from the trades badge worn on DEUs."
Being a proud, long-time grunt I like your idea! How about bringing back something along the lines of the SSF boot or something similair. This could be used by the infantry or the combat arms in general as a nice way to make DEU's actually look like a military uniform as opposed to the bus driver looking uniform that it is now! ;) :o ;D ;D

Funny...I had that arguement with my CO in Germany in 1981, on how the SSF boot dressed up the CF uniform and made it look more like a 'soldiers' uniform than a 'suit'.  It took him some time, but about 15 years later he said he agreed. 

GW

2 Cdo said:

Perhaps some form of purple hat...or a camouflaged jacket...

In all seriousness, though, the high top polished boot was originally a prized possession of parachute trained soldiers only (as you already know).  I thought it disappointing when the entire Army co-opted it with Garrison Dress - I realize the boots were different pattern and that Garrison Dress boots were not worn with CFs....

Don't parachute trained troops still qualify to wear jump boots with CFs?  I guess it's been a long time since I've seen one.

But how would you wear a jump boot with a kilt?  In the reserve world, a very large percentage of our infantry units are Highland or Scottish. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back