• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why do you do it?

2Lt_Martin

Looking for some input as to why the people who frequent this forum do what they do. I am new to the army world (reserve) with just 3 yrs in now.

Why do you put up with the headaches of getting time off from civvy world to go do summer courses, or use up all your vacation time to go on exercise?

Not trying to start a flame war here, just looking for input as there seem to be a good bunch of eggs here @ :cdn: cdnarmy.ca

Fire Away gang :fifty:

I enjoy doing something different, the chance to help out the country and all of that kind of thing. The bottom line is that you’ll meet some of the best people in the world. The friendships that will develop will be strong like no other because they will be born of hardships shared. It’s the people.

Cool people is probably the only reason I parade class A.

Army kit does make good camping equipment, but some of it is also great for paintballing (Those winter games are alot easier when you have the cold wet weather boots on; and with my "unissued" camnet, I made a pretty funky ghilie suit). That‘s a very, very tertiary reason to stay in, though.

My unit is COVERED with those "$8000 towards your tuition" posters. Which is the HUGEST incentive to stay in.

Being a reservist with 2+ years of experience a) guarantees you can dodge the draft that will probably never happen and b) get to go on crazy callouts doing cool stuff (going to Germany (!) to discuss tactical communications with soldiers from other NATO members), but not crazy stuff (Getting shot at by people who want to kill you)

Another somewhat important reason is, I‘m a reserve Sig Op, I didn‘t realize this last year (which I attribute my slack and defeatist attitude towards) but Reserve Sig Op trade courses can be totally awesome to go on if you take advantage of them the right way. I mean, there I was trying to be all crazy hardcore Joe Commando "Hey guys, let‘s do more PT;" when really I could have sat around on my *** , gotten drunk, and had a crazy good time. Better, I was being paid out of the pockets of ordinary, hardworking Canadian citizens.

Being a reservist with 2+ years of experience
a) guarantees you can dodge the draft
b) get to go on crazy callouts doing cool stuff (going to Germany (!)
Too bad you missed that jammy go called operation human shield. We could have used someone like you over there.

I only have 3.5 months in

the reason I joined up is because the Army is somthing I‘ve wanted to do my whole life, I joined the reserve because I‘m still a high school student, and I wanted to make sure it‘s what I want, make sure the army‘s for me so when I go Reg Force, I know(fairly positive) i wont hate it, and enjoy it. It‘s also a good part-time job, the training you can receive in the militia is great, and most of it can be used in Civilian life.

it sure beats the h*ll outa any part time job any of my friends have, handaling a C7A1 beats flipping burgers

I joined because at the time I was a naive kid just out of high school and starting Uni. I stay maybe because I still am, but mostly because I like and beleive in what I do, and the people are great.

My first night was last Thursday actually, so I guess you could say Im one of the newest members of the CF. I joined for basically all the reasons DnA did, Im also in high school and I‘d rather be learning about defending my country than flipping burgers, like he stated. Not very many 17 year olds can say their job involved handling explosives and heavy machine guns.

The idea of adventure brought me in. The people keep things interesting and fun. The education re-imbursments keep me in. After that who knows? For most people a side career in the reserve is an unpractical diversion from real life. I think that when I‘m done University there won‘t be much holding me in anymore. I will be transferring to a different unit and my friends won‘t be there to keep it fun. Sure there will be new friends but it will never be the same. I think that I may drag it out a few more years until I qualify for the reserve pension. Small as it is, its still worth it.

Don‘t get me wrong though. If Canada ever needs me down the line in any capacity I will be around to do my part.

To be honest, I think I‘ll stay in for a long time. Even if I‘m a Corporal for 20 years taking orders from a 25 year old Master Corporal or Sgt when I‘m 30. While I go to University to get my degree in Software Engineering so I can make a real living for myself, and my future family, I‘d like to take the 100 odd bucks a week I‘d make parading class A and put it away. Invest it, start a savings plan, whatever. Starting when I‘m a full fledged engineer, I think I‘ll put my reserve pay check away and not touch it; then when my future kids (assuming the INMARSAT hasn‘t rendered me sterile in 5 years) go to University, I can provide for them.

While I used to believe in all that "defending my country" stuff and don‘t anymore, the fact is, being a reserve soldier is MUCH better than being a floor clearer at Superstore

The Military has always been a big part of my family, so I continued the tradition. I wanted to be a flyboy, but colour blindess stopped that so I hit the dirt, well, wheels. I love it, some of the most trusting peope I know are in the Military. The friendships last forever, look at our Vets, hear their stories. I want stories to tell my Grandkids. So far, all I have is Ice Storm. But with only 10 years in, I have decided to go another 10. Medals? Meh, I will take what they give me, and as soon as my life is back in order I plan on heading overseas to earn one!

10 years is not alot of time in compared to some on this board, but so far my career has been pretty good and memorable, even after they took my AVGP away! :mad: Being only a Toony, I still feel proud to wear the rash.

I‘m disapointed...doesn‘t anybody join for patriatism anymore?

I‘m disapointed...doesn‘t anybody join for patriatism anymore?
I come from a military family(I‘v had family serve in the British,Canadian, US military, that I know of)

I joined up to serve/protect my country

aswell as the other reasons in my post above

Well, I personally think if you have to say you joined to protect your country, something‘s odd.

Then again, if we didn‘t join to protect our country, how does that make us any different than mercenaries?

i‘m not in the army yet(i‘m a mature 13)but i plan to join up for my country( :cdn: ).I‘m living in the U.S. right now and every day i love canada more(nothing against the U.S), i feel safer in canada and more accepted. And i want to keep it so my children and theirs,ect will feel that same way.
I also wouldn‘t mind riding the world of bad guys.
:rage: :rage: :rage: :fifty:

if we didn‘t join to protect our country, how does that make us any different than mercenaries?
I used to joke around with the guys in my unit that I was a mercenary, as I had started to think I was only in it for the money. Then one guy reminded me that mercenaries work for the highest bidders, not the lowest. The saying "You‘re weapon [equipment] was made by the lowest bidder." seems applicable in this situation.

I also wouldn‘t mind riding the world of bad guys.
I‘ve not done anything to rid the world of bad guys in my brief, uneventful military career. I doubt I ever will so long as I stay in. I wouldn‘t want to either, that‘s a very barbaric and ignorant motive in my opinion. Now, helping the less fortunate and those in need; there‘s something I‘d like to do with the military. I dunno, but unlike the US military that seems mostly to just go around killing people and destroying things (2 wars in 2 years envolving full scale invasions, occupations, and destruction of other countries, wtf?) , the Canadian one seems to actually have mostly benevolant motivations behind it‘s activities namely peace keeping and humanitarian missions. While sniping a Taliban soldier driving a truck from 2400m would be pretty cool, I doubt that could ever compare to helping a cholera stricken town get food and water, or stopping two feuding tribes from going into a town and killing each other, and a whole lot of others.

I joined because I was a cadet for 5 years. I quit to attend university and now 15 years later I have The forces as a bit of unfinished business in my life. I‘m now 6 months in and have completed BMQ as well as 2 field ex‘s and am looking ahead to a Royal visit this month and a week long Brigade Ex in August. What other job can you have this much fun and get paid too?

heh heh.. good old August. There‘s so much going on; Big Ex‘s, shooting competitions, etc.. And where will I be? On my QL3... SO I get to miss it all this summer.
Oh well, such is life in the Army. I‘ve gotten used to it, and at least I‘ll actually be officially trade qualified (even if it‘s at a ‘3 level) after this summer, and over a year in..
but that doesn‘t mean I can‘t still bitch ;)

Well I‘m 19 and finding out that my direction in life hasn‘t been in fact any direction that leads to a worthwhile destination.

So I decided to do a little soul searching if you will. People say that you should pick a career that you will enjoy, and I wondered what I‘d enjoy for a career.

I want to be challanged, pushed to my extremes and then a bit beyond. Both physically and mentally. I want to excell in my life, I want to be proud of what I do and what I‘ve done. I want to see other places in this world. (I‘ve already made a couple trips to south America, Venezuela was great).

But most important among my revelations was that my best friend, and many other friends I have would not kill in order to save the lives of their friends and family. It would go against their moral and ethical views. And that those people who would bring my friends and family harm would not likely be people who held similar values. I however, realize that I have it in me to kill to protect my friends and family if absolutely necessary.

I want to be capable of protecting people who think like my best friend does. I want those Canadians to have the opportunity to see a world that has values and ethics as good as theirs.

So I‘ve picked up my application last Monday from the recruitment centre. I hope to drop it off tomorrow. I plan to go regular NCM infantry, PPCLI.

I also feel a strong attraction to the Military. My father was Navy, my grandfather was Air force. My grandfather served during WW2 with the Dutch and then British, and afterwards came to Canada where he served with Canada in Korea. I feel as though it is in my blood.

Back