• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Whitehorse. What should I expect?

gt102

Inactive
Reaction score
I got my staff application forms for Whitehorse in the mail last friday, and it just made me think; What should I expect at Whitehorse?

I have been for my cadet career a Borden Boy. I wanted something different and a bit of a challenge so I applied for...

• Whitehorse
  • HMCS Ontario
  • Blackdown

Now in terms of Whitehorse what should I expect for Residence, Temperature, "Free Time"?

Advance thanks,

CSM
Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada (Princess Loises) 2347 Regimental Army Cadet Corps
WO. Crowe, Daniel

hey there,
I was there back in 1995 on a Class B just before I transfered to the Reg Force.
Whitehorse has a pop of about 30,000 people, the temperature and climate in the summer is similar to Calgary (dry climate and pretty warm) Also during the summer there is almost 24 hrs sunlight. Most of the cadets that were there as instructors really enjoyed it, the scenery is awesome.
We stayed in log-style type cabins,and I believe some of the staff were in the white canvas tents, but that could have changed since then.
I was working at the Qm, and if I remember right they got to do rapelling and rafting and other stuff.
Bring your bug juice, the mosquitoes are big enough to carry you away!
I seem to remember they went down to Skagway in Alaska for July 4th and I beleive they also had a group that hiked the Chilkoot trail.
There are alot of Northern kids that go to that camp,some of whom are not accustomed to flush toilets or trees or the weather because some of the spots they come from are pretty far North. Like Inuvik.
So if you need to know anything else, I can dig up some more info, but if you can go up there, take advantage of the opportunity. I would  definetly go back If I had the chance.....

So, from what I gather...

• Lots of Daylight (Almost 24 hours)
  • Warm and Dry Climate
  • Bugs'
  • Possible trip to Alaska

Sounds miighty fine to me! I now really have my hopes up for going there. But knowing my luck I'll end up at Blackdown.

The Crowe said:
Sounds miighty fine to me! I now really have my hopes up for going there. But knowing my luck I'll end up at Blackdown.
Mm...shortstaffing.  Can't hurt to try.  What are you hoping to be staff for?  Trg Sup, CL, Basic?

I think it would be neat to get posted to HMCS Ontario, it would probably be alot different than whitehorse

Papke said:
I think it would be neat to get posted to HMCS Ontario, it would probably be alot different than whitehorse

That was the whole reasoning for it! I would (probally) be the only Army Cadet there... then to top it, a Highland Army Cadet.

I've gone to whitehorse for three years in a row now. Pretty much everything that has been said about it has been right so far. Just remember to carry your rain coat on you around your third week on. Every year there is one to two weeks of rain that drop like clockwork during the second half of camp and it doesnt stop. The camp has a lot of positions for the small camp it is. (<200 course and staff cadets.) Four Sgts and one WO per Platoon, 6 Platoons and and One Air Cadet Flight. Theres a large cadet security detachement and of course the HQ and Support Coy staffs. A Coy and B Coy HQ's + DSM and RSM. Basically lots of positions for staff cadets. The town of Whitehorse isn't all that exciting itself but it does have some interesting historical points. If you wan't to see the country and meet interesting people, be CLI(A) staff, there is usually about 4 British cadets per A Coy Platoon and the country you travel is amazingly beautiful and interesting. Beware of long mess hall times :p

Cheers,

I live in Whitehorse.  I would say come on up and give the place a shot.  It is awesome in the summer and the camp seems to have a lot of activities on the go.  I have never worked at the camp but my old roomate did so I feel like I know a bit about it.

Just found out im going to be there to but also have no idea what to expect. I was hoping to see some northern lights but with all the daylight i guess i shoudnt count on it!!! Really looking forward to the experience!

Has anyone done their adventure training that can tell me about the course? i come from a closed corps that doesnt do very many camps so i dont know anyone who has done it.

I will ask my buddy.  He worked at the camp last year so he should be able to comment on that.  From what I can remember him telling me there is some repelling, a zip line, mountain biking and some canoe stuff.  Didn't sound to bad.  If you have any particular questions let me know.

That would be great, i have no info on the course at all and i have no idea what i'll be doing, it really sucks but im hoping to gather as much info as possible before leaving so i know what to pack!!!! ;)

herseyjh said:
I will ask my buddy.  He worked at the camp last year so he should be able to comment on that.  From what I can remember him telling me there is some repelling, a zip line, mountain biking and some canoe stuff.  Didn't sound to bad.  If you have any particular questions let me know.

Can you find out if these activities are available during free time? From the joining instructions, free time is very limited compared to other training centers.

Have an awesome time in Whitehorse.  I have been up there twice in the summer and once in the winter for Namesake City visits.  It is a whole different world there.  The people are great, friendly, and the city is very accomodating to tourists.  And as much as I prefer the continuous daylight, and the warmth of the summer, visiting in November was an amazing experience too. 

Our winter trip was to help out with a recruiting drive.  And summer two years ago, we were there for Canada Day and the festivities associated with it and last year we were there to help out with the River Quest.  Hoping to get back up once more this year.

White horse is a cool place. The only real difference is the Platoon Commander carry Shot Guns  :salute:

primer said:
White horse is a cool place. The only real difference is the Platoon Commander carry Shot Guns  :salute:

This is me quirking my eyebrow... Are you serious? Is there any history behind that? That seems just a tad off in my head.

Just when the area has a know bear threat, so it is not a daily thing, just strictly a safety issue.

The camp has a number of Remington 870P shotguns that are usually issued on a basis of 1 per platoon or patrol as a predator control weapon.  All of the areas in which training is conducted are quite isolated and bear encounters have happened.  The cam has been fortunate in that the encounters have been realatively benign and there has been no need to destroy an animal.  The camp SOP is that all subunits conducting training outside of the immediate confines of the camp will carry a predator control weapon.

herseyjh said:
Just when the area has a know bear threat, so it is not a daily thing, just strictly a safety issue.

Thanks for clarifying that one! I was slightly quirked by the thoughts of cadets toting around shotguns. But alas it makes sence.

I want to go to Whitehorse too. I'm waiting for my letter in the mail. I applied for Whitehorse, Val Cartier, and my C.O made me put Blackdown on my application. Oh my goodness, Whitehorse is my dream city/ town. I have seen pictures from my buddy who went there three summers ago. Its BEAUTIFUL. Hopefully, we both get in...! It'd be AMAZING.

xFusilier said:
The camp has a number of Remington 870P shotguns that are usually issued on a basis of 1 per platoon or patrol as a predator control weapon.  

actually there are about 3 -4 shotguns per platoon. there is one for each section. each shotgun has 5 slug shots with it.
Whitehorse is awesome. i had a good time there. you should really try to get adventure staff. it is the most fun.

some of the things you will do are
-Absailing regular style and Aussie style, fromthe tallest site in Canada for cadets. (about 350 ft high)
-whitewater rafting
-about a 350 km canoe trip
-5 day patrol
-mountain biking
-C7 familiarization
-sports days

and if it is anything like last year a hell of a lot of rain.

Back