• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Which Air trade should I choose?

matwxxwong

Inactive
Reaction score
Recent years, I learned that Avionics technician are in high demanding in the civil world. As far, I know that all these trades been closed. So I am waiting and hoping for March 2010, while having my security check. Apart from working for the force, I would also want to accomplish a degree in any Universities to upgrade my academic background. AVN would be the trade that I am confident but would also need to plan for the future. Is avionics difficult to pass? How many chances do you have to pass any exams in the first year? And what % of the CF members jump out of the force to work for civil when contract ended?

Umm, weren't you on here before as just matwxx?  You're not allowed to have two accounts, you know.

PMedMoe said:
Umm, weren't you on here before as just matwxx?  You're not allowed to have two accounts, you know.

Well, obviously I didnt know that. If I did, I wont attempt to do it. Anyways, if you can answer my questions, pls do so. Thanks!

I don't know of too many AVN/AVS techs that made the jump from Military to Civy. Not sure how it is for AVS, but for AVN, Transport Canada will not honor the QL3's as a valid course anymore, so you'll have to re-do it at an accredited college. Don't go into the CF to get experience so you can transfer to civilian work, if you are, you are joining for the wrong reasons. IMO, the CF offers more than the civy world right now - better pay, better benefits and most importantly, job security.

The tests are like all government tests, multiple choice and completely out to lunch.

belka said:
I don't know of too many AVN/AVS techs that made the jump from Military to Civy. Not sure how it is for AVS, but for AVN, Transport Canada will not honor the QL3's as a valid course anymore, so you'll have to re-do it at an accredited college. Don't go into the CF to get experience so you can transfer to civilian work, if you are, you are joining for the wrong reasons. IMO, the CF offers more than the civy world right now - better pay, better benefits and most importantly, job security.

The tests are like all government tests, multiple choice and completely out to lunch.

I am not joing the force for civy world. But you always have to build another back up plan for yourself. I believe the forces will treat each member equally. Joining the force was my plan 2 years ago. I often see some of the civy corportation recruit people with military experiences, such as the Bombardier, IMP, etc.  So if you fail the exam, you will be released?

matwxx said:
So if you fail the exam, you will be released?
Not necessarily, you may more than likely will be reassigned to another trade.

matwxx said:
I am not joing the force for civy world. But you always have to build another back up plan for yourself. I believe the forces will treat each member equally. Joining the force was my plan 2 years ago. I often see some of the civy corportation recruit people with military experiences, such as the Bombardier, IMP, etc.  So if you fail the exam, you will be released?

When I went through Borden 5 years ago, you could fail each exam once. Fail the exam on the same subject twice, you get your file reviewed and they will decide if you get another chance. If you fail too many tests, they might not give you a second rewrite and you'll get reassigned to another trade or released. IIRC, you always get one rewrite on an exam. Don't sweat your scores on the exams either, they are more english tests and don't mean squat. Get through your QL3's and prove yourself at the squadron where it matters.

belka said:

::)

Maybe get some time in a go to a few more CF schools before spouting off shit like that.

CDN Aviator said:
::)

Maybe get some time in a go to a few more CF schools before spouting off crap like that.

No thanks, I'd rather make a blanket statement like that because I love seeing "get more time in" type posts from the older members on here. It fuels my fire.

So just like the original "extraordinary" poster you've always been, 5 years hasn't taught you anything?

Sad.

i've finished an Avionics (AVS) course at a civi college and im doing the AVN through civi college again, and i have to say Avionics was almost twice as hard. Well for me that is. Its less hands on and more theory.

I could never get a grasp of electronic theory. Sure i passed but never and will ever understand that stuff. I didn't want to be a "box changer" so i switched over to AVN instead, and its totally different.

belka said:
No thanks, I'd rather make a blanket statement like that because I love seeing "get more time in" type posts from the older members on here. It fuels my fire.

You post could have been

"No thanks, I'd rather make myself look stupid with a blanket statement like that"

Or you could have been specific to your trade.

"The tests I took were all multiple choice, and ridiculously easy"

Aim to pass the test the first time, getting a chance to rewrite on every subject is bad for business.  IMHO knowing that you have a second chance in every subject breeds laziness, one rewrite should be enough of a kick in the butt to get you studying more. 

What ever you do DO NOT I say again DO NOT join The EME BRANCH Your treated like crap, Trust me it was the worst mistake of my life.

Go Airforce,any trade is better than being in the ARMY Trust me!!!!

Plus its better to check in (Hotel) than dig in (Trench)....Plus the money is better......

And it never dawned on you, that maybe the problem is you?  ::)

matwxx said:
...I learned that Avionics technician are in high demanding in the civil world...
...what % of the CF members jump out of the force to work for civil when contract ended?...

Grrr.

So you haven't even joined yet, and you are in the mindset that you want to join specifically to gain skills not used in the military?

While it is certainly your right to do this, as many others have before you, I'm on the side of the fence that kind of frowns on that because those of us who choose to dedicate our lives to the country see that as a "take" mentality vice a "give" mentality that duty entails.

Any service is appreciated, but wow...what happens if (gulp) you actually like it in the CF?

Petamocto said:
Grrr.

So you haven't even joined yet, and you are in the mindset that you want to join specifically to gain skills not used in the military?

While it is certainly your right to do this, as many others have before you, I'm on the side of the fence that kind of frowns on that because those of us who choose to dedicate our lives to the country see that as a "take" mentality vice a "give" mentality that duty entails.

Any service is appreciated, but wow...what happens if (gulp) you actually like it in the CF?

Given the current add about aircraft techs in the CF, can you blame him?

I spent most of my career as an Avionics tech on the CF-104 Starfighter, CF-101 Voodoo and CF-18. Not much call at Air Canada for computerized fire control system knowledge.  :)

Guess a posting to Cold Lake or Bagotville might not meet his long term goals.  >:D

Strike said:
Given the current add about aircraft techs in the CF, can you blame him?

Everyone is responsible for his own level of commitment  ;)

That being said, there is a big difference between what is mentioned above and something like a fighter pilot who after retiring from a full career with the CF has all sorts of useful skills that can be put to good use after he has dedicated 1/3 of his life to Canada.  There is nothing dishonourable about that at all.

Same thing with all the Infantry Tech MWO types who upon retiring go into the small arms business for big money contracts.

That's not using the military as a stepping stone though, because after ~25 years in you've obviously demonstrated that you are a giver not a taker, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Those guys never had any bad faith vibes toward their job, where as if you join with the intent on using the uniform for paid job training that you have no intent on ever giving back to the forces, that is very different. 

It's also honourable to join the forces thinking you'll like it and then getting out earlier than you thought you would because for whatever reason it wasn't what you thought it would be.

There is nothing dishonorable about joining up without the intention of spending 25+ years in. I have no problem whatsoever with the person who comes in the door fully planning on leaving 5 years later. If we, as an organization, did have such a problem with this, would not a person's initial contract cover a much longer time frame?

Back