• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Where to find full copy of QR&O?

devsnrnco

Inactive
Reaction score
I found this: https://www.canada.ca/en/department...cies-standards/queens-regulations-orders.html

But there seems to be many missing sections. I'm trying to investigate ED&T options to prevent one of my subordinates from going NES. This individual is in our Regiment's military band, which is stood down due to the lockdowns. However, virtual training is ongoing but this individual does not have the technological setup required for participation and the result is constant gaps of signing in that raise the NES alarms.

I'm trying to find an option to cover their behind until lockdowns are lifted.

I'm asking here before talking to people in my unit because I don't want to admit how little I remember from PLQ/AJLC.

So the leave manual: https://www.canada.ca/en/department...e/policies-standards/leave-policy-manual.html has info about Exemption from Duty and Training and has some DWAN links that might be useful. (I don't have DWAN access right now so can't verify them).

Section 8.2 Exemption From Duty and Training (ED&T)​

8.2.01 Authoritative References​

Exemption From Duty and Training (ED&T) is not a leave type. The policy guidance and instructions for administration of ED&T is pursuant to:

Much of the QR&O content is expanded by other subordinate policy documents, such as CFAOs, DAODs, Canadian Army Orders, Divisional Orders etc. Believe ED&T may be under a CFAO, and CFAOs are not available on the internet.

QR&Os are here (But not up to date). I really do not know what is so hard about publishing accurate up-to-date information on the web.

🍻

They are in fact up to date. Most recent amendment, dated 26 November 2020, is to QR&O 204.22ff.

The thing that threw me off is that in the QR&O sec 9.09 - 9.10, it talks about Parental and Maternity ED&T.... Then it says that 9.11 - 9.99 are unallocated, which I suspect means the rest of the ED&T categories should eventually be listed there. I'll check out the Leave Manual, thank you.

Unallocated means that there are no articles with those numbers.

For ED&T, there is a legal requirement for MND authority to enable payment under CBIs for MATA/PATA; as there is no such requirement for other forms of ED&T they are not found in QR&O.

QR&O represent the exercise of authorities under the NDA by the (G)overnor in Council; (T)reasury Board; (M)inster or (C)DS.

Awesome, thanks everyone! So far I've figured out that ED&T is not a leave type. For the situation described in my original post, it seemed that LWOP (Leave Without Pay and Allowances) would have been the appropriate option, however, it does not apply for Class A Reserves, which is a detail I should have specified in my original post.

The DWAN links that MIGHT address ED&T for non-parental reasons:

http://cmp-cpm.mil.ca/en/policies/cf-mil-pers-instr.page (from @dangerboy )

So I guess I'm gonna need to break into my armoury in the middle of the night and snatch a DND Laptop so I can give my PKI card a first-time go for DWAN access from home.

Once exhausting these options, I'll need to see if recommending the member switch to Supp Reserve is a better COA.

Much of the QR&O content is expanded by other subordinate policy documents, such as CFAOs, DAODs, Canadian Army Orders, Divisional Orders etc. Believe ED&T may be under a CFAO, and CFAOs are not available on the internet.
Ok thanks, I'll try CFAO last because that's an even more foreign document

Let me check on this when I go in tonight. I sign off on plenty of requests for ED&T. I know there's a form, and I wager it has the referenced mentioned on the form. MTF

CMP instruction 20/04 is a good place to start.

Per the leave manual:

Section 8.2 Exemption From Duty and Training (ED&T)​

8.2.01 Authoritative References​

Exemption From Duty and Training (ED&T) is not a leave type. The policy guidance and instructions for administration of ED&T is pursuant to:

Final three references are DWAN only, unfortunately.

. . . I'm trying to investigate ED&T options to prevent one of my subordinates from going NES. This individual is in our Regiment's military band, which is stood down due to the lockdowns. However, virtual training is ongoing but this individual does not have the technological setup required for participation and the result is constant gaps of signing in that raise the NES alarms.

I'm trying to find an option to cover their behind until lockdowns are lifted.

I'm asking here before talking to people in my unit because I don't want to admit how little I remember from PLQ/AJLC.

A suggestion. Unless your soldier is specifically requesting ED&T, don't make that the go to solution. While it may seem a minor point because if a Class A reservist isn't parading (virtual or otherwise) he isn't drawing pay, many admin folks may think "what's the difference" and use it as the easy fix to avoid triggering NES. However, one of the consequences of ED&T is that time is not counted towards the CD. In the same manner that reservists are not expected to request ED&T during the summer months because units have nothing on the schedule, so should there be a policy on accounting for soldiers during the pandemic, particularly those who, through no fault of their own, are unable to participate in "virtual training". Yes, you should be applauded for your diligence in researching, but avoid the trap of situating the estimate.

. . . However, one of the consequences of ED&T is that time is not counted towards the CD. . . .
With the new features of the site, I was unable to edit my previous post to include additional comment.

ED&T would affect time calculation not only for the CD, but it may have implications for "pensionable service" as well as pay and promotion as per CFAO 49-5 (if this para of that CFAO is still valid or has been replicated in another reference).
28. Exemption from Drill and Training. A member exempted from drill and training for a period in excess of 90 calendar days is not eligible for promotion during the period of exemption. Exemptions in excess of 30 days may not be counted towards qualifying service for promotion, and no period of exemption may be counted towards qualifying service for incentive pay.

They are in fact up to date. Most recent amendment, dated 26 November 2020, is to QR&O 204.22ff.
Ah! I see that now. The web version is stated as being up to date to 3 July 2019 but article 204.22 shows the 26 Nov 2020 amendment both on the web and the pdf. Tricky and good to know.

🍻

Back