• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

When is too soon for a Reserve PLQ?

thorbahn

Inactive
Reaction score
When do you think is a good time or when is too soon for a reservist to go on PLQ?

This question arises after being offered PLQ about 7 months after completing QL3 and having less than a year and a half in. I'm still in high school and therefore don't even have the option to take this course this spring, but even if I could I'm not sure if I feel that I have enough experience to be teaching and leading others.

Put it this way...

There is a lot of people (including me) having 4-5 years in (reg force) and are not sure if they want to be a leader or a follower (listen, a follower is not an a**hol*).

You can be the best at what you're doing ,but it depends of what you want to do, not just the opportunities you get.

To be  a leader implies some stuff, and to be a good corporal implies some stuff too.
Do you feel like a leader now? Do you feel that you have a lot to learn prior to lead other guys?
Those are all good questions to ask yourself.

Honestly,

Delavan

Reserve PLQ is one of my biggest peeves right now.  Speaking for the Naval Reserve at least, as I am not sure if it is the same across the board, PLQ is no longer merit listed.  Sure, if you are merited high, and up for promotion, you will get it.  But they are also giving it on the basis of availability.  The reasoning they give for this is that you need to learn how to be a leader, even if you are not going to lead right away. AArrrgghhh!  What has been happening the last couple of years is that very junior personnel, ie brand new kilicks, are being nominated for the course and loaded on it.

Great, if they are in a position to be a leader.  But onboard MCDV's, there is only one position (typically) within each department for a MS.  Therefore, this junior LS fresh off of his PLQ is not going to be guaranteed a position of leadership.  The departments just aren't big enough.

My opinion is that it should go back to being a merited course, and therefore nobody would even be offered it until they had been a LS or Cpl for 2 years.

In general I have no problem with a promising private with at least 1 year as a trained soldier doing PLQ, if he wants it and the chain of command supports it.  Many units and trades have emergency demands for junior leaders.  However, this presumes that no more experienced, promising, and willing corporals in the brigade are getting left behind.  This is a big presumption!  Also you should have your DP2 course first.

I can also see both regular and reserve units routinely putting promising privates through PLQ mods 1-5 if there was a space available.

Also remember that a course doesn't guarantee promotion or position.

m410 said:
Also remember that a course doesn't guarantee promotion or position.
It can actually become a detriment to your career.  If you have the course and don't get promoted, you may fall into a limbo, and watch more recent graduates get promoted and you are left in the dark.  That is one reason it is better to be in the "Zone" for promotion, and take the course.

That would be one of my concerns, I've seen Bdrs or Cpls graduate PLQ and just remain at their rank but be tasked with leadership jobs. In this way, they are being given Cpl pay to do a MCpl's job.

And in my case it doesn't seem to be that just "promising privates" are the ones being offered PLQ, in my small unit it's everyone who is eligible for the course since they are desperate for more Masters.

I'm a course officer on a Reserve PLQ course with a couple of privates on it, but it's too early give a good assessment of how the Ptes are going to make out.  Bear in mind that as a Private you cannot do Mod 6 (at least not in the Infantry), so you can't actually become qualified immediately to MCpl/MBdr.  I personally can't see why you wouldn't want to take the opportunity (although I understand what you mean particularly in the Reserve about units pushing anyone available onto the course generally), however, once you start, push hard to get it done and get the promotion as soon as you're able to so you don't wind up in limbo.

Thorbahn,

My 2 cents from what I know about this as I work at your Bde HQ in Halifax.  With TF1-07 being the "big ticket" within 36 CBG right now, there is a serious concern not just for this summer (with the standup of the Battle School in Aldershot this month) that there is going to be a serious shortfall in qual'd instructors across the board.  What the are seeing for the next few years is a shortage in people that have the TI, qual's and abilities to keep the units in 36 CBG going in the next few years, including unit trng, ARTS, augmentation to CTC, etc etc.  My Cpl has just over a year in rank, and just left today for his Inf 2A, and then going right on his PLQ Mod 6 (Inf).  From there, he is being tasked as a Instr on BMQ/SQ/DP1 Inf as required.  Although young and lacking the DESIRED experience as a Section 2 i/c, he shows the potential to be a good Jnr NCO.  That will be proven/dis-proven during the next 5 months.  My other Cpl got loaded in PLQ (which is starting today I might add) last Thursday night.  She stepped up to the plate and is soldiering on.  Some will..some won't. 

According to our Comdr and COS, what we need in 36 CBG is for people who might not have had the opportunity this early in their PRes career, to step up to the plate and fill in the gaps.  Not uncommon in the Army or Army reserves really, it is just getting alot exposure right now as the high command element of your CBG is looking 1-2-3 years down the road.  Remember, there is a tendancy for Reserves to do Component Transfers in mass sometimes following a tour.  That happened in '93 when we sent a bunch of guys with 2 PPCLI with UNPROFOR.  Lots CT'd to Reg Frce.  How do I know this?  Because my Capt was on leave the last few weeks, and I have been at the COS (Chief of Staff) and the Brigade Commanders O Groups, and had a briefing from the Bde G3 (Reg Frce Cmbt Arms Major) about this. 

While I agree that there is such a thing as pushing people too fast thru the sausage machine (the first PRes MCpl I had as a Crew Cmdr had 18 months in...and while he had all the crse's they could throw at him, he had NADDA TI and it showed), our situtation and the one that 1st Fd and 84th are facing, common in our CBG, is an opportunity as well. 

The question I have is...do you want to lead?  To become a Jnr NCO, teach on courses, develop as a leader of soldiers, as well as a soldier in the PRes yourself?

I don't want it to seem to you, or others reading this thread, that our Bde or sub units are just throwing people on the PLQ for the sake of it.  The intent is to start developing the people now that will be filling the Jnr Leadership roles in the units, the Bde so that we don't have the gap over the next few years.  From the Bde perspective, we have some major limitations in filling all the positions for this coming summer.  Thats across the board.  IF TF1-07 deploys...the case will be the same next summer.

There is a somewhat unique opportunity in our Bde because of this, where there will be some movement in the ranks, of probably most of our units, that would not necessarily be the case if TF1-07 had come from LFWA, LFCA or SQFT.

Are you up to the challenge?  If so, and your unit is willing to send you, and support you, why not go for it?  If you are happy with the prospect of being a Bdr, and driving the gun tractor for 10 years and don't want to train PRes troops, then do that.  The Army and the Bde needs both jobs done, in the long run. 

17th

A great leader should be a great follower first. So he understands the view.

I apologize for the slow reply, but thank you 17th Recce Sgt. It's nice to have an explanation and confirmation of the fact that there is a method to the madness.

The factors holding me back from going on PLQ right away are my desire for more experience and my civilian education as well.

new standards in the works
BQ, SQ & BMQ (infantry) will be moving up to some 78-80 traning days (from it's current 60 days).
Should be able to post some details tomorrow when I get into the HQ but, some brass hats have arrived at the conclusion many of us already had..... the "delta" had to be closed..... ASAP.

Back