• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What should I do

Mike7788

Inactive
Reaction score
Currently upgrading my marks to be accepted for University. Main reason i'm doing this is to eventually become a pilot or something Air Force related.

MY question is: If training for Pilot, is that all I will be doing? Is there any chance to join other ground ops? Or even if (pipe dream) I want to join CANSOFCOM, would I only be flying for them?

Sorry my army.ca terminology and acronyms seriously lack. I guess that explains me posting in the under 250 posts section.

I just don't understand... This post and your previous post is essentially "I want to be infantry but still wear blue"..

If you want to do infantry or stuff on the ground why aren't you applying for an army job?

There are many "ground jobs" in the Air Force, for instance: Military Police, Air Weapons Systems Tech, Avionics/Aviation Technicians etc.

None of them are Infantry. That is an Army job.
If you are selected to enter the RCAF as a Pilot, you will train to be a Pilot. Full stop. There may be other courses you can take unrelated to flying such as Survival, Conduct After Capture, but nothing combat related.

As for CANSOFCOM, your role with them will depend on what role you fill in your normal occupation. If you are a Pilot, it may be very likely that you would be flying for them (if that's even an option). If you have no combat training or experience, how are they going to put you into an Assaultier position? Most of those guys have had years of combat training and experience.

If you want to be part of ground operations so badly, pick an Army occupation.

Mike7788 said:
MY question is: If training for Pilot, is that all I will be doing? Is there any chance to join other ground ops? Or even if (pipe dream) I want to join CANSOFCOM, would I only be flying for them?

What are you looking for? A job that has you flying half the time, while the other half you are conducting raids and kicking in doors with the Infantry or SOF?

RedcapCrusader said:
As for CANSOFCOM, ... If you are a Pilot, it may be very likely that you would be flying for them (if that's even an option).

There are positions within CANSOFCOM for Pilots, the command has its own helicopter unit, 427 SOAS. Also, there may be other positions within the command available.

RedcapCrusader said:
If you have no combat training or experience, how are they going to put you into an Assaultier position? Most of those guys have had years of combat training and experience.

There is no requirement to have a Combat Arms background to apply as a JTF2 Assualter or CSOR Operator. Those units will train(SOAC/SFC) candidates for employment in the unit. A number of successful Assualters/Operators have had zero time in the Combat Arms and came from various Support Trades.

Back